How do I look so far?

Started by tallerie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Your cGPA is pretty strong for a lot of schools, but like you said, you need to bring up that sGPA to be competitive. 100+ hours shadowing is great (almost overkill), but if you haven't shadowed more than 1 or 2 types of docs, I recommend trying to observe a couple more to get a broader perspective.
I would also recommend volunteering in the ER for 100+ hours (if you have the time), as well as in the general community (e.g. a soup kitchen) because volunteering is definitely something adcoms look for on resumes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for your response. I've done volunteering in a soup kitchen for about 50 hours during undergrad. Do you think I should be ok with that? I've shadowed an otolaryngologist (in clinic and surgery), an oral maxillofacial surgeon, a dentist (just to see), a pediatric oncologist, an anesthesiologist and a GI surgeon, but I will definitely try to broaden that. Thank you for the ER advice, I will definitely try to set something up 🙂

Yes, 50 hours is a good amount of experience. How long was your research experience? If you haven't done anything substantial (eg a URE) and you're not applying within the next year, you should consider working for one of your professors on research over the summer.