MD How do I make myself a better candidate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tessellations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm mainly just looking for advice on how to make myself a more competitive applicant. I've still got a lot of time to change things if need be, so I figured out I'd reach out here to see if anyone is willing to give me some advice on this. Here are my stats/facts so far:
I'm a sophomore undergrad student majoring in biochemistry and minoring in psych. I currently have a 4.00, and likely will take the MCAT in April/May before the summer I plan on applying. That's the plan mainly so I can take my core biochemistry major classes, though I'm open to hear suggestions on if I should take it earlier. I recognize that this will make or break my application.

Currently doing/Have done:
300 hours this past summer working as a CNA at a nursing home
13 hours shadowing in EM with two doctors
Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity - currently on philanthropy committee and hoping to run for EBoard (Head of Philanthropy) next year
Premedical Society
Working for a program that is a cross between SI and Tutoring. Basically, I help to lead a 2 hour study session every week for students enrolled in a class that I have previously taken. Once a week my fellow peer leaders in my course meet to go over a professor generated problem set, so that we are able to effectively help our students go through the problems during their sessions. I tutor calculus currently, and this my second semester doing this.

Planning on doing in the future:
Volunteering at an emergency homeless shelter near my school once to twice a week. This won't start until November of this semester.
More shadowing, though this has been difficult for me to find.
Research. Another thing I've been having difficulties with, though I'm planning on reaching out to our Office of Undergraduate Research/continuing to email PIs to see if someone will interview me for a position for next semester. I had two interviews this semester and one lab said no and one never got back to me. It's been a bit of an uphill battle. Though the lab that rejected me did commend me for my application and said I was a strong candidate, and I was one of four interviewed out of 40 applicants.
This summer I'm thinking of working as a CNA again though I'll probably try to find a position at a different facility, just because the one I worked at had some issues with understaffing and attitudes that I felt uncomfortable with. Also, I'm hoping to volunteer at a local hospital.
Kind of random, but I'm also of thinking of taking violin/fiddle lessons next semester because I recently acquired a violin and I love bluegrass music.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Clinical looks good. Rock the MCAT...get additional shadowing hours (I know it's difficult, but make the calls, look for connections, ideally 45+). Also, make connections with professors! (for future LORs) Other than that, looking good!

Reactions: 1 user