How do I narrow down my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gram1027

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just recently joined this forum, although I have been reading without posting for about a year.
These last couple weeks, since i'm on winter break, I have been seriously looking at which schools I will be applying to this upcoming cycle. I have been using the MSAR to narrow down schools that are within my range: MCAT 509, cGPA 3.84 sGPA 3.86, I have also been trying to filter based off of things like, OOS matric. rates, class size, mission statement, and curriculum. I am at the point now where it is difficult to narrow down any further (curriculum and mission are for the most part similar across schools).
For example looking at Toledo and Tulane, similar academic medians, similar OOS matric percents, similar class size, mission statements are pretty standard, how would you go about choosing which of these schools are a better fit for you?

Should I attempt to match schools with my ECs?
Research at home uni ~400 hours over 2 semesters; will continue
Research at European university ~500 hours over 1 semester
Internship in health performance improvement ~400 hours
Community service ~50 hours; will continue
Hospital hours ~50 hours; will continue
Barely any shadowing
MI resident. Any responses are greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also Current school list
Wayne State
Michigan State COM
Michigan State CHM
Oakland
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Toledo
Tulane
Indiana
Louisville
Many more that are within my range and can't figure out how to narrow further

Also Current school list
Wayne State
Michigan State COM
Michigan State CHM
Oakland
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Toledo
Tulane
Indiana
Louisville
Many more that are within my range and can't figure out how to narrow further
Since OOS schools favor the home team, and thus one has to be > avg when applying from outside, I suggest deleting Toledo, IU and U Louisville. Suggest adding MUCOM and CCOM and/or OHCOM if you wish to stay closer to home. In that vein, you could swap out Tulane for SLU, Loyola, Rush or MCW.

Reactions: 1 user