• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

How do I narrow down my school list?

Gram1027

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2018
  1. Medical Student
    I have just recently joined this forum, although I have been reading without posting for about a year.
    These last couple weeks, since i'm on winter break, I have been seriously looking at which schools I will be applying to this upcoming cycle. I have been using the MSAR to narrow down schools that are within my range: MCAT 509, cGPA 3.84 sGPA 3.86, I have also been trying to filter based off of things like, OOS matric. rates, class size, mission statement, and curriculum. I am at the point now where it is difficult to narrow down any further (curriculum and mission are for the most part similar across schools).
    For example looking at Toledo and Tulane, similar academic medians, similar OOS matric percents, similar class size, mission statements are pretty standard, how would you go about choosing which of these schools are a better fit for you?

Should I attempt to match schools with my ECs?
    Research at home uni ~400 hours over 2 semesters; will continue
    Research at European university ~500 hours over 1 semester
    Internship in health performance improvement ~400 hours
    Community service ~50 hours; will continue
    Hospital hours ~50 hours; will continue
    Barely any shadowing
    MI resident. Any responses are greatly appreciated :)

Gram1027

2+ Year Member
    Jan 3, 2018
    1. Medical Student
      Also Current school list
      Wayne State
      Michigan State COM
      Michigan State CHM
      Oakland
      Central Michigan
      Western Michigan
      Toledo
      Tulane
      Indiana
      Louisville
      Many more that are within my range and can't figure out how to narrow further

Goro

Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Also Current school list
        Wayne State
        Michigan State COM
        Michigan State CHM
        Oakland
        Central Michigan
        Western Michigan
        Toledo
        Tulane
        Indiana
        Louisville
        Many more that are within my range and can't figure out how to narrow further
        Since OOS schools favor the home team, and thus one has to be > avg when applying from outside, I suggest deleting Toledo, IU and U Louisville. Suggest adding MUCOM and CCOM and/or OHCOM if you wish to stay closer to home. In that vein, you could swap out Tulane for SLU, Loyola, Rush or MCW.

Reactions: 1 user
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.