How do I obtain a summer research opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mindyaown

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an OMS-1 student looking for some guidance on how exactly to obtain a summer research experience and who to ask. During orientation my school pushed the importance of research but hasn’t really given much resources on how to actually go about it. I wasn’t a STEM major and didn’t complete any research going into medical school so I’m a little uncertain of this process. So I was wondering... Should I only ask faculty from my school? Is it inappropriate to just ask faculty at nearby universities where I live? (From California and in medical school out of state). Would it be okay to do any research with undergraduate faculty i have kept in contact with? Is it worth it to do research but not receive any publications? Should you just email around your resume and ask different faculty on research opportunities? Would research in any specialty be okay? I am currently not 100% certain on specialities but I have thought a lot about OB GYN, internal medicine, & family practice.

Members don't see this ad.

but hasn’t really given much resources on how to actually go about it.

Find local residency programs and email the program coordinator asking if you can be put in touch with a faculty member or resident who might need assistance with some projects
Should I only ask faculty from my school?

No. You can start there though. Clinical faculty only. Bench research takes too long to publish.
Is it inappropriate to just ask faculty at nearby universities where I live? (From California and in medical school out of state)

Yes. You won't be able to continue any projects with them once school picks back up.
Would it be okay to do any research with undergraduate faculty i have kept in contact with?

No.
Is it worth it to do research but not receive any publications?

You need outcomes. Having research experiences without as much as a poster or two will raise some eyebrows and look like you didn't actually do much. Publications are king, but there are other forms of outcomes.
Would research in any specialty be okay?

Specialty specific research really only matters if you want a competitive field or are trying to get into academic programs (i.e. climb the prestige ladder). Research in any field will be a benefit to your residency app, especially since you aren't sure what you want.

Reactions: 2 users
Find local residency programs and email the program coordinator asking if you can be put in touch with a faculty member or resident who might need assistance with some projects

No. You can start there though. Clinical faculty only. Bench research takes too long to publish.

Yes. You won't be able to continue any projects with them once school picks back up.

No.

You need outcomes. Having research experiences without as much as a poster or two will raise some eyebrows and look like you didn't actually do much. Publications are king, but there are other forms of outcomes.

Specialty specific research really only matters if you want a competitive field or are trying to get into academic programs (i.e. climb the prestige ladder). Research in any field will be a benefit to your residency app, especially since you aren't sure what you want.

thank you!!