How do I pay for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etoolky1

Tooth girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been on financial aid at my undergrad college for 4 years. Anyway I submitted my FAFSA for next year (for Dental school) they said I did not get aid because I reached some kind of max for loans. What do I do now? Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

etoolky1 said:
I have been on financial aid at my undergrad college for 4 years. Anyway I submitted my FAFSA for next year (for Dental school) they said I did not get aid because I reached some kind of max for loans. What do I do now? Any opinions?

call a bank.

There are two typical ways of paying for dental school.
1. Paying through the nose.
2. Paying out the @$$

Members don't see this ad :)
12YearOldKid said:
2. Paying out the @$$
:laugh: - nice way to put it.

or ... you can grow your own $-tree! :D

etoolky1 said:

Sounds strange. I've also been receiving loans for my undergrad and my FAFSA went thru with no problems. I suggest calling the financial aid department at the school you'll be attending.

like previous sdners had mentioned above... go back to FA office and double check with them... for federal loans... there is an maximum aggregate limit for medical and dental students of 189,000... thats the total amount including undergrad loans... so if you reached that amount just for 4 years of undergrad... or even with some grad school... wow!! thats one expensive school!

etoolky1 said:

I do not want to sound kurt, but you may have done something wrong. The purpose of the FAFSA is to generate an EFC (estimated family contribution). The EFC tells the schools how much loan money you qualify for regarding subsidized or unsubsidized aid. The school takes this information to generate you financial aid package. The maximum aggregate limit for federal loans is $23,000 as a dependent undergraduate student, and $46,000 as an independent undergraduate student. This may be what you were told regarding your "max for loans." I wonder who told you this; the FAFSA does not give include anything like this on the SAR (student aid report).

edkNARF said:
I do not want to sound kurt, but you may have done something wrong. The purpose of the FAFSA is to generate an EFC (estimated family contribution). The EFC tells the schools how much loan money you qualify for regarding subsidized or unsubsidized aid. The school takes this information to generate you financial aid package. The maximum aggregate limit for federal loans is $23,000 as a dependent undergraduate student, and $46,000 as an independent undergraduate student. This may be what you were told regarding your "max for loans." I wonder who told you this; the FAFSA does not give include anything like this on the SAR (student aid report).

Thank you all for your help. I probably didi do something wrong.

boogaking said:
for federal loans... there is an maximum aggregate limit for medical and dental students of 189,000... thats the total amount including undergrad loans.!

But that's only for UNSUBSIDIZED Stafford loans. For subsidized I think the maximum aggregate limit is like $40k or so. Then, there are multiple private loans available.

Here's the real kicker for the OP: FAFSA can't tell you anything about maximums or amount received. Only your school's financial office can tell you that. So, upon filling out your FAFSA, that info goes to your school and they use it to determine what loans you should receive and the amounts.

So, if you're saying FAFSA is telling you that you get no money, then you're misreading something. If your school is telling you that, then they may be correct about federal loans (although I find that hard to believe), but that only means you wouldn't get any federal loans. You can still pay for school via private loans completely if you need to.

So are you getting this info from FAFSA or from your school?

So what do i do if I am an international student??
I have done my undergrad here in US. paid from my dad's pocket :D but I don't want him to support me for d-school...and he will not anyways...so??

helix said:
So what do i do if I am an international student??
I have done my undergrad here in US. paid from my dad's pocket :D but I don't want him to support me for d-school...and he will not anyways...so??

loans loans and more loans. Financial Aid officers will help you get those. Just focus on getting accepted and they will help you with the rest. But I would also plan on getting you dad to continue to pay for you. The school expects you to, so you might as well. You will be a dentist so you are good for it!

btw some schools have better relationships with lenders than others. Private, expensive schools have great relationships with private lenders since their students typically go beyond that 189,000 mark to pay for all 4 years. for example, NYU is one of the most expensive schools, (46000 per year tuition+living expenses in downtown NYC) but they can practically get you any amount of money that you need. You will be in more debt, but the financial aid lady wont hassle you about it.

onetoothleft said:
loans loans and more loans. Financial Aid officers will help you get those. Just focus on getting accepted and they will help you with the rest. But I would also plan on getting you dad to continue to pay for you. The school expects you to, so you might as well. You will be a dentist so you are good for it!

btw some schools have better relationships with lenders than others. Private, expensive schools have great relationships with private lenders since their students typically go beyond that 189,000 mark to pay for all 4 years. for example, NYU is one of the most expensive schools, (46000 per year tuition+living expenses in downtown NYC) but they can practically get you any amount of money that you need. You will be in more debt, but the financial aid lady wont hassle you about it.

explore the Navy....thats what I'm doing if I ever get accepted.....its a better deal for dentists than MDs or DOs.....at least explore it... :thumbup:

Wonder what's the going price for a kidney these days... ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
But that's only for UNSUBSIDIZED Stafford loans. For subsidized I think the maximum aggregate limit is like $40k or so. Then, there are multiple private loans available.

Here's the real kicker for the OP: FAFSA can't tell you anything about maximums or amount received. Only your school's financial office can tell you that. So, upon filling out your FAFSA, that info goes to your school and they use it to determine what loans you should receive and the amounts.

So, if you're saying FAFSA is telling you that you get no money, then you're misreading something. If your school is telling you that, then they may be correct about federal loans (although I find that hard to believe), but that only means you wouldn't get any federal loans. You can still pay for school via private loans completely if you need to.

So are you getting this info from FAFSA or from your school?

My information came from FAFSA. I didn't contact the financial aid office at the schools yet. I didn't think I would have a problem getting other loans. But I thought I would save myself the time and ask everybody on SDN. Thank you all for your opinions and help :)

dentalguy said:
explore the Navy....thats what I'm doing if I ever get accepted.....its a better deal for dentists than MDs or DOs.....at least explore it... :thumbup:

Why do you wanna sell yourself to the Navy? I really don't understand why some people will do a trade to sacrifice 4 years of pay and life with the Navy. 4 years you get to pay back the loans yourself. Wait. In the Navy you probably don't get paid right?

etoolky1 said:
My information came from FAFSA.

Okay, then you are most likely misinterpreting the information. There isn't any place for FAFSA to tell you that you can't receive loans, or the amounts you are receiving. Like I said before, your school's financial aid office does that.

The ONLY thing FAFSA tells you by way of money is your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), which is an estimate of how much you and your family will have to contribute to your education.

Navy, AF, Army all have their programs. Yes you get paid during those 4 years, plus they pick up all your tuition, fees, cost of living, etc. Its a good deal for those that want a unique experience and come out of D-school with virtually NO loans to pay back.

I'm also an international student - ive also gotten accepted into one dental school but i think im going to have to cancel my plans of going to dental school because i just dont think i can afford it!!!:(.... Loans - i asked my bank and they give only 25000 max ( thats just half the amount i need ) plus i need a cosigner.... anyone know anyone whos been in this situation? any suggestions?

Profchaos said:
Why do you wanna sell yourself to the Navy? I really don't understand why some people will do a trade to sacrifice 4 years of pay and life with the Navy. 4 years you get to pay back the loans yourself. Wait. In the Navy you probably don't get paid right?

What do you honestly think is so bad about the Navy or any military scholarship for that matter? I am applying for the Navy scholarship and think it is a great opportunity.

RachMSU said:
What do you honestly think is so bad about the Navy or any military scholarship for that matter? I am applying for the Navy scholarship and think it is a great opportunity.

Back in the day my father did the Navy and loved it. He recommends doing it. I had a friend that just recently finished doing the Airforce Scholarship and he doesn't recommend it. I think thats just because he ended up over seas in Qatar.

I don't think there is anything bad with Navy or Army paying for a dental school. Some people find this option very attractive and some don't. This all depends on what lifestyle one wants to choose. Yes, you won't have any loans after 4 years, but keep in mind you'll spend the next 4 years after graduation working on the amalgam row and with a chance of being deported to where Army/Navy finds your service more needed.

I think the money issue shouldn't be the main cause of choosing Army or Navy scholarship.

12YearOldKid said:
2. Paying out the @$$

...one nickel at a time!

RachMSU said:

Yea RachMSU is right....it is a great opportunity....sure the pay isn't what you get in private practice but you get to travel the world for free.....you get to be a dentist....and have no loans....plus get paid while you are in school......sure you have to serve but in all honesty its a great opportunity....before you say its not for you, at least explore it, you are not quote on quote selling yourself to the Navy.....look at it this way .....you don't have to look for a job coming out of dental school plus you can gain experience

Not to mention if you want you can do a Navy GPR which pays about 80000....I can pretty much guarntee that no one will make that the first year out of school....unless you have a parent or relative you are working with.....just a thought

DDS2BE said:
I think the money issue shouldn't be the main cause of choosing Army or Navy scholarship.

I keep hearing this over and over. If it isn't for the money being the primary reason,then why would anyone bother? Just a thought. Let's face it, money is the biggest consideration...

Smilei32 said:
I'm also an international student - ive also gotten accepted into one dental school but i think im going to have to cancel my plans of going to dental school because i just dont think i can afford it!!!:(.... Loans - i asked my bank and they give only 25000 max ( thats just half the amount i need ) plus i need a cosigner.... anyone know anyone whos been in this situation? any suggestions?

Which school are you going to??
I think a green card holder can sign your papers. I was wondering if you know a green card holder who can take a loan for you and then ou can repay when you become a dentist.

Wow that's a big request

wimmcs said:
I keep hearing this over and over. If it isn't for the money being the primary reason,then why would anyone bother? Just a thought. Let's face it, money is the biggest consideration...

Yes money is nice....but its not the only thing in life....it may buy you nice things but for example you know that text book answer that everyone gives when asked why do you want to be a dentist? "I want to help mankind" or "I want to help people"

Althought many of you may have not said that answer when asked that question it something that you have to consider. What better way to help people by serving your country. I know many don't have a high opinion of our country right now but think about this.........there are opportunities in the navy (or army or airforce but for my sake the navy) when you can go and provide dental care to third world countries....this is something that these people have never seen or see very little of...To me that would be satisfying.....after those four years you will be an excellent clinical dentist because you will have practiced on situtations you have never seen and will have become a quicker dentist......even going to a good clinical school won't be as good as serving third world countries.....this is a great opportunity.....if people say don't take if for the money then don't....take it for the great opportunity that you will get when you realize you have served a good purpose.....not to mention you get to support our troops and no matter how you feel about the war...it is a good thing to support them...

even I want to join the US army and get tuition scholarship!

I can't cuz I am not a US citizen! Also, I am in Canadian Armed Forces Reserve, and they don't support dental students attending US schools....

you guys are lucky that you have "US citizenship". Support the nation when you can.

If you're planning on going to a private school, especially one of the expensive ones in the Northeast (BU, Tufts, NYU, to name a few), a military scholarship is quite attractive.

When you're done with your four years at school, unless you have a rich uncle, you'll be looking at close to $300K in debt. There is no way that you can pay off all $300K in debt after your first four years of private practice as a General Dentist (unless you graduate and immediately take over a family member's practice). So, if you can get over the whole "military" thing, it is very attractive to practice for 4 years in the military, earn modest pay, and then emerge with no debt - and probably some savings too.

If I weren't going to a state school, I would have strongly considered this option. The numbers are just too compelling.

helix said:
Which school are you going to??
I think a green card holder can sign your papers. I was wondering if you know a green card holder who can take a loan for you and then ou can repay when you become a dentist.

Im going to University at buffalo - or rather thats where ive been accepted. I know some people who are green card holders but not well enough to ask them for such a huge request. Actually i have tried to give a few hints but even when i mention anything about a cosigner people just get quiet. I just dont know what to do ???? Ive tried tried and tried, i just keep running into dead ends each time. o well , any other suggestions?

wimmcs said:

Believe me, there are people out there that would do this for other reasons besides the money. Some people want adventure, to serve the country, this feeling of making a difference or some other reasons... One of my best friends is in the army and god.... now way he's doing it for the money, as I know he doesn't make any.

Buy you are correct, we live in the money oriented world where everything revolves around money. So, for the most of people, army is a money issue.

RachMSU said:

I think for some it's a great opportunity. Just make sure you get all the details (like even after you finish your 3-4 yr stretch, you could called back into duty for up to four years!).

removed at the request of the user