How do I proceed to retake courses for grade replacement?

Started by r3d3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

r3d3

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went to an LAC and took 2 semesters of intro biology, 2 semesters of gen chemistry, and 1 semester of organic chemistry. I also took a semester of a biology seminar.

I then transferred to my state school for the cheaper tuition.

I ended up taking 1 more upper level science course according to aacom guidelines.

Taking aacom gpa guidelines and my courses into account, I have a 2.77 sgpa with 27 credit hours.

If I want to retake my 2 semesters of intro biology, 2 semesters of gen chemistry, and 1 semester of organic chemistry at my state school, will those grades replace my grades from my LAC essentially?

Also, what should I shoot for science gpa wise? If I am able to replace my grades and I ace the retakes, then my science gpa will shoot up to around a 3.5-3.7.

My cum gpa is only going to be about a 3.0 once I graduate, but the prereq retakes can potentially boost it to a 3.1-3.2,and then I can possibly take more upper level science courses in order to boost it to a 3.3-3.5.

Approximately how many credit hours for post bacc assuming I graduate with 124 credit hours, 3.0 cum gpa, 2.77 science gpa?

Edit: I'm a bio major who switched to comp sci after transferring. I'm 26 credit hours away from graduating. I plan on finishing off my comp sci degree before going back and fixing the science gpa.
 
Your re-takes will count as long as the course title/description is similar or the same and the credit hours need to be the same or more (i.e., physics at C.C. was 4 credits but at State it is 5 credits).
 
What if it's the opposite? For example, the class st my LAC was 4 credit hours but the class at my state school is 3 credit hours? What do I do in this situation?
 
I believe it needs to be the same or more credit hours. I was told over the phone by aacomas that it was okay to do a re-take that was 3 credit hours when the original was 4 credit hours but found out later that this is not true. The credits need to be greater than or equal to the original course.