How do I rank these FM programs!? =(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SE2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center affiliated with New York Medical College

MidMichigan Health affiliated with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and University of Michigan Health System

Medical Center of Central Georgia affiliated with Mercer University School of Medicine

Jackson Park Hospital

Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport

Thank You =)

Members don't see this ad.

My criteria:

1) location
2) OB focus
3) "hand-holding"
4) feel

For me:

1) location
2) feel/fit
3) OB
4) hand-holding

I was actually surprised when coming up with my rank list that "feel/fit" played out to be more important in my decision than other factors like prestige...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think prestige is necessarily needed in FM ranking. For example, I'd substitute reputation for prestige. My program isn't prestigious at the national level, but the reputation locally is high.

I will say I didn't get to number three on my list criteria for my top two choices, rather it was the OB exposure that differentiated the two. However, feel guided #3-6 on my ROL.

I don't think prestige is necessarily needed in FM ranking. For example, I'd substitute reputation for prestige. My program isn't prestigious at the national level, but the reputation locally is high.

I see what you're saying. In my head I equate prestige and reputation as the same thing. I see you're point though. :)

So do you guys know anything about the hospitals I listed?

I really don't know which is better

Yea, I don't either. That's why both Bacchus and I listed the general method of how we ranked programs. Sorry I can't answer your ranking conundrum.

@septoplasty
I haven't been to JPH interview yet but I have already heard many negatives about it... I will keep it in mind. =)

What about second last?

So are you interested in FM programs or Army IM programs?

I dont have much input on either except that as much as I dislike living in middle Georgia, id probably choose Macon over Tripler.

St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center affiliated with New York Medical College

MidMichigan Health affiliated with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and University of Michigan Health System

Medical Center of Central Georgia affiliated with Mercer University School of Medicine

Jackson Park Hospital

Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center Shreveport

Thank You =)

You are likely to get more helpful responses if you include a brief explanation of what you are looking for in a program. There isn't just one best, one second best, and one third best program in the country or even on your list - it depends on what you want to get out of your training. If you say "I want to be near a major metropolitan area in a place that has good research opportunities and maximizes the amount of elective time I have to personalize my education" that's really different than if you say "I want to be in a rural area and get maximum OB numbers with great pediatrics training but I don't care much about inpatient adult medicine" etc etc. What are YOU looking for?

Reactions: 1 user