Medical How do I record research hours on apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry if this is the wrong forum, kinda new here still.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how research hours are listed on a medical application? I do 1 - 3 credit hours of research at my school's Microbio lab which actually equates to 8 hours - 16 hours per week in the lab. I don't know why it's done like that, just is.

I appreciate any answers on this, thank you!
They are just trying to get a sense of how much time you have spent doing research during your premed years. If you go to the lab and work for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 1 year (2 x 5 x 52 = 510 hours)

Don't overcomplicate this. I would go by how much you ACTUALLY do. Not what your "credit hours" are.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how research hours are listed on a medical application? I do 1 - 3 credit hours of research at my school's Microbio lab which actually equates to 8 hours - 16 hours per week in the lab. I don't know why it's done like that, just is.
The research academic credit will appear on your transcript. Despite that, you may still list the research experience on your med school application as an Activity, but you will list only those hours you were physically on the premises doing research when you enter the dates and Total Hours of research experience. So keeping a log of hours is a good idea.

Am I mistaken to assume this means that the type of research I'm doing doesnt actually count towards my application? Or you're just saying adcoms are looking at raw time hours and not credit hours?
Your research will count on the application.

Adcomms want to know how much time you personally invested in gaining research experience.

All research that you are doing "counts." The number of hours you spend doing the research is the number of hours you should list on your application, whether at lab or at home. I would take "hours" as literally as possible. It is just an amount of time you spent working on research.

Status
Not open for further replies.