How do I rewrite my "Why dentistry" essay for reapplication? What should I include to make it different from last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eevee2011

Reaction score
I'm reapplying to dental school this May/June and I'm confused about how to reformat my "Why dentistry" essay. My motivation has stayed mostly the same, so should I be talking only about my new experiences in the past year? Should I address my shortcomings in my previous application?

Any advice on how to approach writing a new essay is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm reapplying to dental school this May/June and I'm confused about how to reformat my "Why dentistry" essay. My motivation has stayed mostly the same, so should I be talking only about my new experiences in the past year? Should I address my shortcomings in my previous application?

Any advice on how to approach writing a new essay is appreciated!!
do not address shortcomings
add what you have done differently/better than you did this cycle

which schools did you apply to?
how many interviews/waitlists/rejections did you get?

Members don't see this ad :)
The personal statement (PS) is often regarded as a fraudulent part of the application process, and admission committees (ADCOMs) are aware of this. It typically has little correlation with an applicant's potential to become a good dentist. However, ADCOMs desire any qualitative information they can obtain to aid them in the difficult decision to reject half of the equally qualified applicants. They may use the PS or interview as a means to justify their non-evidence-based personal preferences. Therefore, it is crucial to enhance the stories you present in the PS as much as possible. Imagine that you are a self-righteous gatekeeper of the profession, as ADCOM members often perceive themselves to be. Make your story and writing impressive, unique, and professional so that your PS can stand out among others. Essentially, it is an arms race. If you are entirely honest and unfanciful, other deceitful and cunning applicants who can write better and present themselves in a more favorable light will surpass you. This reality may seem unpleasant and unfair, and I have resisted it as much as possible. Nonetheless, it is an unfortunate reality. ----ChatGPT

The personal statement (PS) is often regarded as a fraudulent part of the application process, and admission committees (ADCOMs) are aware of this. It typically has little correlation with an applicant's potential to become a good dentist. However, ADCOMs desire any qualitative information they can obtain to aid them in the difficult decision to reject half of the equally qualified applicants. They may use the PS or interview as a means to justify their non-evidence-based personal preferences. Therefore, it is crucial to enhance the stories you present in the PS as much as possible. Imagine that you are a self-righteous gatekeeper of the profession, as ADCOM members often perceive themselves to be. Make your story and writing impressive, unique, and professional so that your PS can stand out among others. Essentially, it is an arms race. If you are entirely honest and unfanciful, other deceitful and cunning applicants who can write better and present themselves in a more favorable light will surpass you. This reality may seem unpleasant and unfair, and I have resisted it as much as possible. Nonetheless, it is an unfortunate reality. ----ChatGPT
i had to read that twice before i saw the "ChatGPT" at the end
tbh, because English is not your first language, sometimes your posts register as a bit "off" to an American reader, almost as if they were written in AI (edited to add: not that they were written by AI, more correctly, the thought occurs that they could be written by AI)
no offense meant, just a funny thought on a monday

i would bet that there will be more than a few PS written by (or aided by) AI this year...

i had to read that twice before i saw the "ChatGPT" at the end
tbh, because English is not your first language, sometimes your posts register as a bit "off" to an American reader, almost as if they were written in AI (edited to add: not that they were written by AI, more correctly, the thought occurs that they could be written by AI)
no offense meant, just a funny thought on a monday

i would bet that there will be more than a few PS written by (or aided by) AI this year...
How do you know English is not my first language? Maybe I'm just dumb.

How do you know English is not my first language? Maybe I'm just dumb.
"I'm applying. I hate writing, especially in a foreign language to me."

obviously, you are not dumb, "My sGPA is 3.8 and AA is 24." "sGPA 3.96, AA 24."

"24AA, 3.9 GPA"​

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Aided for sure. The issue is that if a large plurality uses some chatbot (got access to Bard too), what happens? If the schools and associations agree on tools, what are the consequences?

One should have enough material to write at least 3 different PS. If you don't, you may not be as ready as you should.

Aided for sure. The issue is that if a large plurality uses some chatbot (got access to Bard too), what happens? If the schools and associations agree on tools, what are the consequences?

One should have enough material to write at least 3 different PS. If you don't, you may not be as ready as you should.
lol
most have difficulty writing one...

Reactions: 1 user