How do I shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I know this has been asked before but I want to know how to shadow. I'm from Chicago and live in the city so Hospitals I'm near are high ranked (NWMemorial, UC medical center, Rush Hospital). I'm finding it difficult to shadow. Many don't reply. I mean I haven't emailed many probably ten in total but out of all them only one responded with a rejection. The others didn't even bother responding. When I email them this is the template I usually use.

Dear Doctor( name)
Hello, my name is__________ and I would like to express my interest in shadowing you as a men-tee. I am going to be a premed at college this coming fall and will graduate in 2017. I am very interested in _____________ and have researched a lot on the specialty. I would like to learn more about the profession/your specialty and am looking for a mentor. I’d love it if I could spend some time observing you and your practice. I understand that you may be very busy and would appreciate it if you’re able to accommodate me at your convenience. Thank you for your time and consideration. I can be reached anytime via my cell phone, (000) 000-0000, or email [email protected] . I look forward to speaking with you about this exciting prospect. Sincerely, ____________

What can I do to be more successful in the way I ask to shadow. Anything from people who have been successful is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are like a gazillion doctors in that city, I am sure. Send out a few dozen more emails. I'm positive someone will bite. Also, you should try volunteering in a venue where doctors work around you. They are much more receptive to if they know and work with you. Plus, the proximity to them is practically shadowing, anyway! Good luck!

they're busy. they don't know who you are. why would they bother replying to you?

my advice is to see if your school's premed office has a list of alumni who would be willing to take on students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never e-mail a doctor. Call them directly. Many times, you'll get their secretary, and he/she will often be able to get you in contact with the doctor faster than by e-mail.

I found the number for the em physicians group at the largest local hospital....called and begged/sweet talked the receptionist into handing my request to docs she knew let people shadow in the past. You'd be surprised how much, "aw shucks, I'm lost and you have the power to save me" gets you in life. People want to help

It also is a good idea to look up the faculty lists at local med schools, a lot of them are full time clinicians that act as preceptors and are likely to allow shadowing

Have you considered trying to shadow a doctor in the community (i.e. suburbs) rather than one in the city? A doc who spends more of his day seeing patients in the clinic vs. in the hospital would probably have an easier time accommodating a shadow.

Have you considered trying to shadow a doctor in the community (i.e. suburbs) rather than one in the city? A doc who spends more of his day seeing patients in the clinic vs. in the hospital would probably have an easier time accommodating a shadow.

But I wan't to shadow a surgeon. I want to be shadowing in the OR not in a clinic tbh.