Army How do I sign up a deployment? (coming out of residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to sign up for a deployment right out of residency. The reasons for me are simple (wife will be able to stay where we are currently at with family, Deploying while my child is young, I will be able to study for my board exam for which I'm off cycle, it may give us more options for PCSing to Europe later... these are of course perceived benefits).

#How do I sign up for a deployment right out of residency? Is there a database website or something? I know there should be someone to help us arrange it as we get closer to graduating but, I talked to someone else who graduated off cycle and they said that there were only two continental United States options available to them. Surely, if you are willing to deploy, I'm sure they can find someone else that would like to stay home right and you can take their spot?

#PCS to Europe after Deployment more likely? We would like to have an opportunity to end up in Europe sometime (during our limited four-year payback). Would doing a deployment early predispose me to having the option to go to Europe more available?

#On deployments is there time to study? I understand that the amount of day-to-day work is not significant and you can most likely complete it in four hours or so. ie. Leaving plenty of time to study that I would not otherwise have been a busy clinic on the continental United States.

These might be obvious questions to others however, these are some things up out of my mind for a long time and just want to poll the more experienced crowd out there. I'm about a year and a half off from graduating.

Members don't see this ad.

What's your specialty?

Talk to your consultant. He/she should be able to answer all of these questions (except the study part, your consultant probably hasn't deployed in a while).

Reactions: 1 user
All dependent on your specialty. You're clearly not a general surgeon as you're not already slated to deploy and as you don't plan on deploying more of less annually.
For some specialties there are so few people down range that it's actually hard to deploy right away. You get out on a list. For others, you just say the word and you can get to some sunny $#!thole as fast as the Army can move you (in 3-6 months).
How busy you are and what your chances of getting to Germany are is also dependent upon your specialty. For us, deployment wouldn't get you any closer to Germany than the local sausage house.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to sign up for a deployment right out of residency. The reasons for me are simple (wife will be able to stay where we are currently at with family, Deploying while my child is young, I will be able to study for my board exam for which I'm off cycle, it may give us more options for PCSing to Europe later... these are of course perceived benefits).

#How do I sign up for a deployment right out of residency? Is there a database website or something? I know there should be someone to help us arrange it as we get closer to graduating but, I talked to someone else who graduated off cycle and they said that there were only two continental United States options available to them. Surely, if you are willing to deploy, I'm sure they can find someone else that would like to stay home right and you can take their spot?

#PCS to Europe after Deployment more likely? We would like to have an opportunity to end up in Europe sometime (during our limited four-year payback). Would doing a deployment early predispose me to having the option to go to Europe more available?

#On deployments is there time to study? I understand that the amount of day-to-day work is not significant and you can most likely complete it in four hours or so. ie. Leaving plenty of time to study that I would not otherwise have been a busy clinic on the continental United States.

These might be obvious questions to others however, these are some things up out of my mind for a long time and just want to poll the more experienced crowd out there. I'm about a year and a half off from graduating.

You will first need to get PCS orders to a unit to be able to deploy. Even if you stay at your current duty location you'll need orders for that. Once you have your permanent change of station orders then you can start figuring out how to deploy. You can do this somewhat simultaneously by talking to your consultant about assignments and let him/her know that you are interested in deploying right away. They can let the gaining unit commander know your enthusiasm for deploying. If the hospital has a tasker then they'll gladly offer oblige your wishes. My first duty station after fellowship there was a surgeon who deployed within one month of inprocessing

Reactions: 1 users
echoing what people have already said. you won't have many people blocking you from going, *unless* you are a low number specialty and will be an N of 1 at the facility you are going to. or, if you are joining a practice with an N of 1 who that person needs some time to recover from being on 24/7 in the preceeding months/years before you arrived.

there was some effort a couple years ago to allow people a year for boards and to solidify their clinical skills prior to deploying. obviously if you choose to waive this unwritten rule you could. just keep in mind "studying for boards" may be difficult depending on your specialty and deployment location. I'm currently in Kuwait, which compared to my previous deployment has (knock on wood) been boring but a cakewalk. if we invade Syria as discussed with 1k troops and you're PROFIS to one of those units or support units, your creature comforts may not allow internet question banks or a good environment conducive to studying. nothing like the constant threat of being mortared or rocketed to keep you on your toes.

I would open lines of communication with your consultant as recommended. they'll be able to help you the most. it's definitely consultant dependent though, as I have had some really good ones and others that just take the job so they don't have to move.

good luck

--your friendly neighborhood preparing my ETP to attempt to split my deployment caveman

You really only get one set of orders for a 4 year commitment. They don't like to PCS folks for 1 year.

especially overseas. I looked into trying to go to Germany and was told I had to have 3 years left on my ADSO for them to consider it. not sure if it's the same in the navy but I would not plan on doing a tour w/ deployment then riding out the remaining ADSO overseas.

--your friendly neighborhood is foregoing the liederhosen caveman

especially overseas. I looked into trying to go to Germany and was told I had to have 3 years left on my ADSO for them to consider it. not sure if it's the same in the navy but I would not plan on doing a tour w/ deployment then riding out the remaining ADSO overseas.

--your friendly neighborhood is foregoing the liederhosen caveman
(Guard here)

Some places are more valuable than others and are "saved" for volunteers that habe earned rewarding. We were told openly by one of the senior officers scheduling volunteer tours that germany/japan were 100% off the table for first time volunteers as people would use it to avoid "real" deployment. It was saved as a reward for frequent flyers