HPSP Air Force OTS Coming Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoTx333

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an OMS-1 on HPSP about to finish 1st year. I am scheduled to go to OTS this summer (branch is USAF). At MEPS, I was EXACTLY the max weight allowance and that was after months of diet and exercise trying to get there. Today, I am about 25 lbs over the max weight limit. I definitely took to old eating habits and non-exercise during the first year of med school. I stated exercising again and Mediterranean dieting-ing it over the last couple of weeks, but it took me about 3 months last year to lose about the same amount of weight and I have ~1 month until OTS.

So here is my question: am I screwed? Are they gonna re-weigh me and tell me to hit the road when I get there? And even if they don't, what will happen if I can't pass the PT test in the first or second week of OTS?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But PT is apart of a military career no matter what you are assigned to do. It’s also good for your body and mind. I took lecture audios on my runs during med school. So there is always a way to make time.

When I went through basic training they had an overweight area. Those people had to diet and exercise on Base unit they would start basic. I doubt they will do that to you since you have school. I would guess they could send you home and you might have to go again next year.

I went to OTS last summer. No, you're not screwed, however, I agree with DMBandFan86 above-- you'll have to do PT throughout your career, so working on it definitely should be a priority. You will not be weighed when you get to OTS. When I went, if you failed the first PT test, you did additional PT and then took another PT test the final week of OTS. If you fail both, you won't graduate. I don't know if that's still the policy, but I would try your best to pass the first test. It will make life much easier for you at OTS. As an officer, there's an unwritten rule that you should aim for 90+. It's tough to tell your guys to push themselves if you're barely passing. Good luck with training and feel free to reach out with any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to OTS last summer. No, you're not screwed, however, I agree with DMBandFan86 above-- you'll have to do PT throughout your career, so working on it definitely should be a priority. You will not be weighed when you get to OTS. When I went, if you failed the first PT test, you did additional PT and then took another PT test the final week of OTS. If you fail both, you won't graduate. I don't know if that's still the policy, but I would try your best to pass the first test. It will make life much easier for you at OTS. As an officer, there's an unwritten rule that you should aim for 90+. It's tough to tell your guys to push themselves if you're barely passing. Good luck with training and feel free to reach out with any questions!
How long into OTS was the 1st test? And did you get opportunities to PT between starting and the 1st test? What about PT requirements afterwards, assuming you passed? Thanks so much!

How long into OTS was the 1st test? And did you get opportunities to PT between starting and the 1st test? What about PT requirements afterwards, assuming you passed? Thanks so much!
We were still doing COVID precautions when I went, so our test was over 2 weeks in. We also didn't have many opportunities to do PT before our test. I believe we only did a couple workouts in our dorms and had 2 cardio days. Assuming you pass, you'll be doing PT 4-5 days a week for the rest of OTS, typically divided into 2 strength and 2 cardio days. Those who didn't pass had to do additional PT and work with their PT officers.

Now, you should be doing your PT test in the first few days. I can't tell you with any certainty if you'll be allowed to do PT before the test, but I would guess you won't have many opportunities to do so. They told us to come to OTS being able to comfortably pass the test. My guess is that if you don't pass you'll have to retake it fairly quickly after, and will be sent home/recycled if you fail it a second time.

We were still doing COVID precautions when I went, so our test was over 2 weeks in. We also didn't have many opportunities to do PT before our test. I believe we only did a couple workouts in our dorms and had 2 cardio days. Assuming you pass, you'll be doing PT 4-5 days a week for the rest of OTS, typically divided into 2 strength and 2 cardio days. Those who didn't pass had to do additional PT and work with their PT officers.

Now, you should be doing your PT test in the first few days. I can't tell you with any certainty if you'll be allowed to do PT before the test, but I would guess you won't have many opportunities to do so. They told us to come to OTS being able to comfortably pass the test. My guess is that if you don't pass you'll have to retake it fairly quickly after, and will be sent home/recycled if you fail it a second time.
Was the PT test yall took the new or old PT test? I was under the guidance that I would be taking the new PT test, I am horrible with situps but I can do the two other options just fine, but I saw mention OTS wont be allowing the options.

Was the PT test yall took the new or old PT test? I was under the guidance that I would be taking the new PT test, I am horrible with situps but I can do the two other options just fine, but I saw mention OTS wont be allowing the options.
We did the old test. I'm not sure if OTS will allow the other options, as they just try to rush everyone through en masse. I wouldn't count on being able to do the other options, unfortunately.

Just my personal experience, and haven't seen anyone else mention it.

So for PT, I was also near the weight max, but was able to stay under. Also they used to do the abdominal circumference, which they've since removed. Honestly most people sort of suck in their stomach anyway so it was a kind of subjective.

So for the PT tests I had trouble passing it in the first week and like others mentioned you'll end up doing PT multiple times a day. For me it was the push-up portion, I wasn't physically able to do the minimum number of push-ups, but did fine on the timed run and the sit-up portion. However if you fail the PT in the first week really hard, you'll be sent home.

Despite literally doing push-ups everyday I only marginally improved my push-up count, though they still let me finish OTS with a waiver basically making me promise I'll do more PT. The PT officer who oversaw us said he was really proud of how much effort I really put into trying to bulk up.

Thinking back, we counted each other push-ups and while technically you're supposed to not count full push-ups, I had 5-7 uncounted push-ups that probably should have been OK considering we're not all trying to get into orthopedics or something. I had scored enough points in the timed run and sit-ups to otherwise pass.

Also probably should haven eaten more protein at the DFAC. Kind of a veggie/salad guy at the time and that likely contributed to the lack of gains.

Also one of the senior officers felt like the portion of the PT dedicated to the push-ups wasn't enough during the orientation session for 'remediation PT'. Made me really aware of my skinny asian chopstick arms at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.