How do I stand? URM Engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amnu12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Mechanical Engineering senior and am applying this this application cycle. I am also a Texas resident. For the most part, my TMDSAS, Texas secondary, and AMCAS application are submitted and verified, with the exception of an MCAT score coming Tuesday(June 21st?). Unfortunately the first year and a half of college/engineering got the better of me so I struggled a little bit, but have done some work to pull myself slowly up both academically and extra-curricular wise.
Although my applications are done for the most part(barring some secondaries), I would liked to be "sized-up" and see if I missed some opportunities to apply to some schools. My stats, relevant information, and school list are below.

Personal-
-Hispanic(Born in Mexico) and immigrated to US at ten(lived in South America after birth). Naturalized at age 16
-Fluent in Spanish

Academic:
-Major:MechE
-cGPA-3.45
-sGPA-3.37( :()
-First MCAT-30T(11-BS,10-VR,9-PS(I know this might be a red flag as an engineering major:(...))
-Second MCAT coming-Tuesday

Research(in chronological order):
-Integrative Physiology(summer)-Abstract and poster for conference
-Cellular Mechanics -(summer)-Publication coming, conference coming
-Fluid Mechanics Research(semester)
-Medical Microbiology(Summer)

Shadowing:
~380 hours

Volunteering:
~140 hours past 1-1/5 years on philanthropy project
~80 hours volunteering in a Hispanic community church first two years of college

EC/Leadership:
-I've been( and will be) a leader/officer in a professional honor society. This has been my my pride and joy outside of school and I have been very active officer and member for the last 2-3 years.
-I have been active in the school's band and other musical organizations as I am a music performance minor.
-I have been a tutor for Chemistry I and will be a Physics I tutor.

Misc:
-3 strong letters(Pre-req prof, research mentor, engineering prof)
-studied abroad a semester sophomore year
-1 withdrawl in a Electrical Engineering course(old major was EE, but i switched after I dropped this course)
-1 C :( -Linear Algebra and Matrix Theory course
-Did all the essays on TMDSAS(3 I think?)

Schools applying to:
TMDSAS Schools(UTH,UTHSCSA,TTU-Lubbock,TTU-El Paso,TAMHSC,TCOM,UTSW,UTMB)

AMCAS School:
Baylor COM(seems like a long shot)
Tulane
University of Maryland
Case Western
Creighton
University of Nebraska(an immediate family member is an alumni, so I think I can qualify as OOS?)

I'd prefer to stay in Texas, but I am open to suggestion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Texas Resident AND URM....with a 3.5/30? Plus a difficult major? Dude you're set.

You didn't need to re-take the MCAT unless you had your heart set on Baylor or UTSW. I say you're autoadmit (barring unforeseen occurances on PS, LOR's, and interview) at all the other Texas schools though. Apply early (send primary before July 1st, be complete before August 1st).

My god sir you look pretty handsome there with that URM and 30 mcat. Plus you have a very hard major in the mid 3's. You kicked ass with the research (very impressed with the consistency) and should have not have taken the mcat again. Dude you better hope that score didnt drop. But other than that you're pretty golden with the Texas residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
People are overestimating the URM effect here. Apply broadly, but at the same time, add some Osteopathic schools in case.

Texas Resident AND URM....with a 3.5/30? Plus a difficult major? Dude you're set.

You didn't need to re-take the MCAT unless you had your heart set on Baylor or UTSW. I say you're autoadmit (barring unforeseen occurances on PS, LOR's, and interview) at all the other Texas schools though. Apply early (send primary before July 1st, be complete before August 1st).
I retook it because I felt i could do better in the VR and PS. I felt better about the VR and PS. But i think my score stayed the same. I did'nt have as much time to study as I'd like :(

with regards to other factors: My PS seems strong and my letters seem great. As long as I can prepare/get an interview I can semi-control that
You might add Arizona. They are taking 25% OOS matriculants now.
ooo thanks for the heads up.
People are overestimating the URM effect here. Apply broadly, but at the same time, add some Osteopathic schools in case.
Thats my goal. Im trying to cover all my bases. I've almost complete my osteopathic app.

Do not forget to apply to UT Houston. They take the most Hispanic students in TX. Enjoy and Good luck.

Do not forget to apply to UT Houston. They take the most Hispanic students in TX. Enjoy and Good luck.

Oh I wont. I've had my eye on UTH even in high school and is around my top choice. Thanks :)

Update:

I received my MCAT score back today. Same score. Just 10's across the board this time. Writing S.

So this doesn't change anything i think?

Any other advise for schools?

Update:

I received my MCAT score back today. Same score. Just 10's across the board this time. Writing S.

So this doesn't change anything i think?

Any other advise for schools?

Changes nothing.

IMO you're pretty much guaranteed to get into all Texas schools except Bayor and UTSW and for those 2 you have a shot as well. If you want to stay in Texas don't worry....you're pretty much a lock to be matriculating at a Texas MD school next fall.

If you want you can add some "dream" schools to the list (Harvard, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn, etc.) and see if they like your app.

Great then. Guess it's just the waiting game and secondary game.

Are there any tips for interviewing? I found a "standard" list of questions on here a couple days ago but I was wondering what else I could do during this down time

Great then. Guess it's just the waiting game and secondary game.

Are there any tips for interviewing? I found a "standard" list of questions on here a couple days ago but I was wondering what else I could do during this down time

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview-feedback/ has user generated reviews of individual school's interviews including specific questions and stuff.

Just know yourself very well and be able to talk about yourself (easier said than done) and know the school and the area around it. Maybe do some mock interviews.

Whoa never knew that existed. Thanks for that. Guess ill take those questions and answer them and do some mocks.

I've visited most of the Texas schools(not El Paso) so i should be in good shape there.

Thanks for the help!