How do I stop feeling terrible about myself for not getting any merit aid at a school that gives scholarships to like 90% of their students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1118591

I don't really want to start med school with a huge chip on my shoulder about being in the bottom 10% of my class but here we are!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
You're going to medical school, a position many people would commit crimes to be in. Don't sour your good fortune by worrying about things you can't change. Look to future possibilities.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I don't really want to start med school with a huge chip on my shoulder about being in the bottom 10% of my class but here we are!

I don't think advice that basically boils down to "look on the bright side" is helpful.

You're allowed to feel disappointed and hurt. That's okay. You've experienced a kind of rejection, and it probably fuels feelings of inadequacy or unworthiness. Maybe it echos things you used to hear about yourself in childhood. I don't know.

The point is that everyone has experienced exactly what you're feeling right now. And I promise it's going to happen to you again. Just like it does to everyone else. I wouldn't personalise it (there are many reasons why people are awarded scholarships and exactly none of it has to do with what you're worth as a human being), and I would focus on all the great things about yourself that got you into medical school in the first place.

Another approach: let yourself grieve and use it as fuel. You got a chip on your shoulder? Cool. **** em and prove them all wrong. Hell yeah.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
I don't think advice that basically boils down to "look on the bright side" is helpful.

You're allowed to feel disappointed and hurt. That's okay. You've experienced a kind of rejection, and it probably fuels feelings of inadequacy or unworthiness. Maybe it echos things you used to hear about yourself in childhood. I don't know.

The point is that everyone has experienced exactly what you're feeling right now. And I promise it's going to happen to you again. Just like it does to everyone else. I wouldn't personalise it (there are many reasons why people are awarded scholarships and exactly none of it has to do with what you're worth as a human being), and I would focus on all the great things about yourself that got you into medical school in the first place.

Another approach: let yourself grieve and use it as fuel. You got a chip on your shoulder? Cool. **** em and prove them all wrong. Hell yeah.
I'm framing this and putting it on my wall thank you ❤️

Reactions: 1 users