How do I submit volunteer rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonw93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a sophomore and next summer my family wants to go on vacation to their home country which is a third-world country. Since this is going to cut into my volunteering time I contacted a hospital there and they said I can volunteer at their hospital. So if I can get a recommendation letter from a doctor how do I submit it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm currently a sophomore and next summer my family wants to go on vacation to their home country which is a third-world country. Since this is going to cut into my volunteering time I contacted a hospital there and they said I can volunteer at their hospital. So if I can get a recommendation letter from a doctor how do I submit it?

It does not matter where the letter is from--whether from a third-world country or from the US. However, make sure you can get this uploaded onto Interfolio, which is a letter holding service, pending the time you will start applying. At that time, you can then insert your AMCAS ID, which will allow AMCAS to receive the letters.

Last edited:
Frankly, you do not need a letter of recommendation from a place where you have volunteered and unless the letter is in English, it is going to be of very limited value. Be sure to have a name, address, email address and telephone number of a person who can serve as your contact with that hospital (although schools almost never check) but don't worry about getting a LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, make sure you can get this uploaded onto Interfolio, which is a letter holding service, pending the time you will start applying. At that time, you can then insert your AMCAS ID, which will allow AMCAS to receive the letters.

Sorry, I have no idea about this stuff. So if I get a physical letter can I do something with that or do I have to tell the doc to submit the letter online?

Be sure to have a name, address, email address and telephone number of a person who can serve as your contact with that hospital (although schools almost never check) but don't worry about getting a LOR.

I currently volunteer at a research lab and at a clinic here in NYC. So when I apply to a med school I just tell them how many hours I volunteered at each? And then provide them with contact info?

Sorry, I have no idea about this stuff. So if I get a physical letter can I do something with that or do I have to tell the doc to submit the letter online?

I currently volunteer at a research lab and at a clinic here in NYC. So when I apply to a med school I just tell them how many hours I volunteered at each? And then provide them with contact info?

Students usually waive their right (under federal law) to see the letter. That means you never touch the letter (or if you do, it is in a sealed envelope with the writer's signature across the flap). Some people use interfolio.com which is a letter service. You designate someone to write a letter and interfolio sends them information on how to upload the letter into their system. You then designate recipients of the letters (graduate schools, employers, etc) and the recipient gets information on how to download the letters.

The common application for medical school (AMCAS) requires just the name and location of the place you had an experience, the type of experience (volunteer-clinical, employment, varsity sports, etc), your title, the start date (month/year), the end date (month/year or "to present") and the average hours/week as well as some information about a contact person for that experience (which can be yourself if you list something such as a piano playing as a hobby).