Medical How do I talk about IA at interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an II to an MD school. I have an IA on my application for a minor academic integrity incident. Can I assume that the screeners at the school have already looked at my IA? How should I discuss this in my interview? If the interview is closed file should I bring it up? How do you normally ask questions about IAs in your interviews?
Did you bring this up on your primary?

Members don't see this ad.

So you're saying if they ask like an opened ended question at the end like "Is there anything else I should know?" to not bring up my IA.
That's exactly what he was advising.

Never bring attention to a negative.

If asked, you have to own this IA. Any hint of excuses and you're DOA at school.

You can find out if a school is closed file by inquiring int he school-specific forums, or look at the interview feedback section of SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
If an interview was open file, how would you normally ask an applicant about their IA or would you even ask about the IA?
Oh we ask all right.

I typically go "premed1011, tell me about what incident" or "What happened with this?"

I want to reiterate that if anything is in your file, it's fair game to ask about.

The fact that you got an II means that your IA isn't lethal. BUT, it will be up to you to seal the deal.

So you're saying if they ask like an opened ended question at the end like "Is there anything else I should know?" to not bring up my IA.

they already know about it because of your application, and they offered you an interview. Don’t bring it up unless asked.

If an interview was open file, how would you normally ask an applicant about their IA or would you even ask about the IA?

@Goro's advice is on the mark of course.

I have some interviewers (open-file format) who will ask about bad grades and IA's. It's routine in this particular group because the committee wants to discuss not just the IA or bad grades but also want to know what you learned from it, how contrite you were, how professional you were in answering the question. In this case, they are giving you a chance.

Would the best way to answer any question about my IA be giving a short explanation of what happened and then talking about how I've learned from it? In my situation, my IA was a complete accident and the situation is relatively complicated to an outsider. I understand and want to take full ownership of the incident, but I am scared that my answer might come off as an excuse to my interviewer.
In any interview, it's important to understand and answer the question being asked. If you asked about the IA the tell the truth and answer the question.

Note that the question is NOT asking you about "what did you learn from this?" or "How did this change you for the better?"

Status
Not open for further replies.