How do MCAT scores correlate with USMLE Step (1 + 2) Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metukah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on how MCAT scores correlate with USMLE Step (1 + 2) Scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how you got that MCAT score.

I think those who barely studied for MCAT and scored 35+ have potential to score very high step 1 score because of underlying natural ability.

However, those who studied extensively and received similarly good MCAT score may not be able to score in a similar percentile in Step 1 due to volume of materials.

So basically if your good score comes from natural talent, you will go far.

I think those who barely studied for MCAT and scored 35+ have potential to score very high step 1 score because of underlying natural ability.

However, those who studied extensively and received similarly good MCAT score may not be able to score in a similar percentile in Step 1 due to volume of materials.

What about people who didn't do very well on the MCAT - is it still possible to score high in Step 1?

I did not do well on my MCAT, but did very well on my USMLE...I think u never know..

Members don't see this ad :)
What about people who didn't do very well on the MCAT - is it still possible to score high in Step 1?

I didnt score well on the MCAT (<30) and im feeling pretty confident about the step as of yet (5 weeks to go). The main difference for me is that i hated what I was studying for the MCAT. Ochem, physics, a lot of the chemistry they make you learn - its useless. I didnt care about it, so I had trouble learning it and wasnt motivated to study. The step 1 is a whole different ball game. Yes, they make you learn stuff that is not clinically relevant (and its really annoying), but the vast majority of the stuff they make you learn is useful for your career....which can be said about hardly anything on the MCAT.

I studied 10 hours a week for the MCAT, I did it while working, playing sports, and taking regular classes in the semester. With the step 1, they give you dedicated study time where YOUR ONLY RESPONSIBILITY is to study. On a good day, I put more study time for the step in ONE DAY than I did for the MCAT in a week. I'm more motivated, the material is more interesting, and I am actually enjoying studying. Its night and day from my attitude and approach to the MCAT, and I'm confident that my score will reflect that.

Sure you may find a study that says they correlate somewhat, but honestly its a very individual basis. If you find that everything I just said rings true for you as well, I think you'll find the two experiences very different (in a good way). If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

There isn't a strong correlation.

One of the more comprehensive examinations of this I've ever seen was part of that "USMLE Report" that was being pimped around here a while back. Most of the people in their survey that had scored >240 only had a median MCAT score of 28-33/34. Even on these boards we've seen some people with sub-30 MCAT scores pull off 240+ scores.

I personally ended up with a 31 on the MCAT after about 2 weeks of hard cramming and a very disorganized and inconsistent study effort in the semester beforehand. My approach to step 1 has been far more organized and disciplined, and I'm much more motivated also. My mindset is different too; during the summer I took the MCAT, I also took parts 1/2 of my physics prereq, got married, and had a wisdom tooth pulled (I actually took the MCAT with a thoroughly abscessed tooth). I'm not experiencing nearly as much stress this time around.

As far as step 2 - I think there's even less of a correlation there.

Basically numbers don't mean anything. N=1 is all that matters brah

There isn't a strong correlation.

One of the more comprehensive examinations of this I've ever seen was part of that "USMLE Report" that was being pimped around here a while back. Most of the people in their survey that had scored >240 only had a median MCAT score of 28-33/34. Even on these boards we've seen some people with sub-30 MCAT scores pull off 240+ scores.

I personally ended up with a 31 on the MCAT after about 2 weeks of hard cramming and a very disorganized and inconsistent study effort in the semester beforehand. My approach to step 1 has been far more organized and disciplined, and I'm much more motivated also. My mindset is different too; during the summer I took the MCAT, I also took parts 1/2 of my physics prereq, got married, and had a wisdom tooth pulled (I actually took the MCAT with a thoroughly abscessed tooth). I'm not experiencing nearly as much stress this time around.

As far as step 2 - I think there's even less of a correlation there.

I think the "USMLE report" is written by an IMG with a lot of original research, correct me if I am wrong.

The answer is very little.

We have a guy at my school that specializes in doing all the statistics for that kind of stuff. He showed us many charts with averages and expected USMLE score by MCAT performance. The person with the highest USMLE score ever recorded at my school actually had a ridiculously low MCAT.

They are just such different exams. The MCAT is much more about raw test taking ability and when you had the material. The USMLE feels much more in my control and I feel like I have control of my performance. This is within reason. A month of studying is not going to make up for 2 years of slacking.

Step 1 score = (Mcat *20) / 3.
This will be your score.
There is no point in studying.
You can not escape your destiny . . .

Reactions: 1 user
There is actually quite a bit of academic work published on this subject. Here are a few things that are known:

A meta-analysis of 23 studies found that the correlation between MCAT and step one was r=0.6, which suggests that (0.6)^2 = 36% of the variation in step 1 scores can be explained by the MCAT score. The best subtest predictor was biological sciences.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17198300

On the step1, whites score better than blacks, males score better than females, students from more selective schools score better than those from nonselective schools, younger students score better than older students, science majors score better than nonscience. Having one or more parents as physicians was associated with poorer performance.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/k131130487125756/

For USMLE prediction purposes, it is best to take the average of MCAT scores if multiple MCATs are taken. However, increased MCAT takes are correlated with lower step 1 scores.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20881707

I had a 22 MCAT and a 244 USMLE Step 1

Reactions: 4 users
I was just wondering what the highest ever score at your school was. Care to share? :D

We have a guy at my school that specializes in doing all the statistics for that kind of stuff. He showed us many charts with averages and expected USMLE score by MCAT performance. The person with the highest USMLE score ever recorded at my school actually had a ridiculously low MCAT.

They are just such different exams. The MCAT is much more about raw test taking ability and when you had the material. The USMLE feels much more in my control and I feel like I have control of my performance. This is within reason. A month of studying is not going to make up for 2 years of slacking.

Now 2.5 months of studying, on the other hand... :xf: lol

From what I've seen and people I've talked to, I think in those who did poorly on MCAT there are three subsets of people.

1) People who are fine test takers, but did not know the material. This group has the potential to do very well on the Steps when the time comes, providing they put in the time and energy necessary to know the info.

2) People who know the material fine, but suck at standardized test taking (whether it's reading slow, poor reading comprehension, being easily distracted, etc.). This group will probably still struggle on Steps if they don't figure out a way to overcome those issues.

3) Those that suck at both. Admission to medical school itself is questionable at best, nevermind making it to Step 1.

23 on MCAT and 244 on Step 1
I know it's an old post, but score on either exam depends on what situation you are in while studying for those exams.
I took my MCAT in late summer with 2 summer online courses and a full time research assistant job... I was planning for early graduation (graduated in 2 and 1/2 years with honors) so was taking summer classes and needed money so couldn't take much time off from work plus I liked it more than studying for MCAT! I barely had 2-3 hours of studying a day for a month or so, did few online tests and took 1 week off from work before my exam to properly study (still taking those online courses). I was disappointed with my score, but looking back I feel I did a lot for a 20 yr old me! Not that happy with step 1 score too, as I hoped for 250 and did get that on NBME but still glad I am done with it. I was more focused and interested while studying for step 1 than I was for MCAT.

Last edited:
23 on MCAT and 244 on Step 1
I know it's an old post, but score on either exam depends on what situation you are in while studying for those exams.
I took my MCAT in late summer with 2 summer online courses and a full time research assistant job... I was planning for early graduation (graduated in 2 and 1/2 years with honors) so was taking summer classes and needed money so couldn't take much time off from work plus I liked it more than studying for MCAT! I barely had 2-3 hours of studying a day for a month or so, did few online tests and took 1 week off from work before my exam to properly study (still taking those online courses). I was disappointed with my score, but looking back I feel I did a lot for a 20 yr old me! Not that happy with step 1 score too, as I hoped for 250 and did get that on NBME but still glad I am done with it. I was more focused and interested while studying for step 1 than I was for MCAT.

Thats an awesome score, futuresurgeon03! Can you elaborate more on your step 1 preparation as I too did not do too well on the MCAT? How long did you take to prepare for it and how was your step 1 experience?

As far as I know, there is really none. I have seen folks with +35s in their MCAT and some ended up with 220s and some with 260s.
On the other hand, people with MCAT score of 25 did well in step 1.