How do Med Schools look at gap years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medguy98

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wondering how exactly med schools view gap years? Obviously having that extra year can really boost anyone's resume, extracurricular wise, so I am wondering if/how med schools take that into account when they look at applications? Do they look just at what you have accomplished or do they also take into account what time frame you are dealing with (i.e. "did you take a gap year or not").

For example, I know that I can pursue various options if I decide to take a gap year (one year MPH program, study coordinator for a research program which can give me multiple publications, post-bac to improve GPA, etc.), all of which will improve my application. However, I don't feel like I need to take a year, and if I feel like my current resume could at least get me into some U.S. MD program should I just go ahead and apply now?

I am afraid because so many people are taking gap years now, and I don't want my resume to be worse than those who are applying after a gap year (and therefore have an extra year to build a resume than I do). Any help with this would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

The whole purpose of a gap year is to improve your app. As such, med schools do not frown upon them.

It is a pre-med delusion that med schools want you to finish everything in four years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you spend a gap year productively, med schools look on it favorably.

If you spend a gap year screwing around, they may not be so impressed.

It's not the year that matters. It's what you do with it.

Reactions: 1 users
It is all circumstantial so it all depends on what your going through and what your app is like. What are your stats, MCAT? Not everyone chooses to take a gap year there's many who have no choice or due to their own life situations that is just how things worked out. If you have a good app I see no reason not to apply but I cannot say anything without knowing what your app is like. For example I had a gap year, but due to the year I graduated and the timing of the changes in the MCAT that is just how things worked out for me, but I spent it gaining valuable experience so it just all depends.

I know some schools that say it's beneficial (on the circumstances), I know some schools that say a gap year is a year's future salary wasted (so, if I can make 200k/year soon, I wasted 200k by waiting a year). In your circumstances, I can't help you much, but know some schools think different things. Honestly, go to a med school admissions advisor or pre-med advisor and ask them for a "free quote" with your stats now.

I know some schools that say it's beneficial (on the circumstances), I know some schools that say a gap year is a year's future salary wasted (so, if I can make 200k/year soon, I wasted 200k by waiting a year). In your circumstances, I can't help you much, but know some schools think different things. Honestly, go to a med school admissions advisor or pre-med advisor and ask them for a "free quote" with your stats now.
Addmisions advisor sure, premed advisor nah unless you know yours is good for sure.

I was thinking the same thing, but I gave the assumption that they have a good one.

Yeah my premed advisor was horrible. Met with them twice and both times pretty useless/bad advice was given.