How do Med Schools look at Post Bacc class GPAs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maaricka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

How do the application sites (specifically aacom.org) and Med/D.O. schools look at post bacc classes? I am not doing a formal post bacc program. I plan to take 10-15 classes to boost my GPA and refresh my knowledge for the MCAT.
Do these grades form a new "post bacc" GPA that would be sent to schools I want to apply to?

To clarify, I received my biology degree from one university in 2009 and then took a few non science (culinary) classes at another university several years later. Now I'm taking my post bacc refresher science classes at a third university. Will all these grades get lumped together on my initial application to form one final cummulative GPA? If so, is that overall number what I will be applying with?

Also, I'f Im retaking science classes, should I consider taking them without labs to save time or would that be looked at poorly?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your fresh science classes will be included into your GPA from your first bachelor's to give you a new overall cGPA and sGPA when you are ready to apply.

What GPA are you working with and how did you do in the prerequisites?

Yes, your fresh science classes will be included into your GPA from your first bachelor's to give you a new overall cGPA and sGPA when you are ready to apply.

What GPA are you working with and how did you do in the prerequisites?
Thanks for the reply. My overall GPA is currently 2.97. My goal is to boost it to a 3.2. I was in the air force for awhile and I'm hoping to apply for the hpsp.

I did not do great in my upper level science courses. Mostly Cs and some Bs my junior and senior year. I had lost motivation once I realized I was going into the Air Force after college. But I have since discovered Osteopathy and I'm ready to get back on track.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your service in the Air Force will give you a good boost in competitiveness. If I were you, I would retake any science courses you received a C- or below. Take a full load of new/challenging science classes and take your time with the mcat.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with above. I failed out of college and had to make my way back. You need to raise your GPA enough to be competitive and not autofiltered out but at this point the trend is what is most important (although regardless of how you look at it you still need to do well). That being said you need to show med schools what they want to see... which is that you can handle med school. You do that by taking a good load of sciences and performing consistently well. Don't fall into the trap of taking 1 hard science and 3 easy classes a semester to boost your GPA because that isn't fooling anyone. Many people get masters in molecular bio / public health / etc etc thinking it will help them more than it really does. Molecular bio is great but many programs aren't that challenging nor is the curriculum similar to what you will see in med school. Take those core sciences you will see in med school / MCAT.