How do medical schools view varsity esports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dumplingz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, bit of an odd question, but I haven't seen it talked about much on here so I thought I'd give it a shot and see what the general consensus is.

Do you guys think varsity esports is worth putting on the activities section of my app? My university has club esports that I was on for a year before the university introduced scholarships and started varsity esports. I got to be on the first varsity esports team for my university and lead the team to a couple of top tournament placings, which I think was pretty cool, but I'm not sure if any of this is worth including on my activities section. I was on the team for about a year before I stopped to study for the MCAT, since being on the varsity team was basically a full time job.

Do you guys think medical schools will see this kind of activity favorably? I'm a bit worried that older adcoms wouldn't view it positively and think I'm not taking the application process seriously. Esports was something I was really passionate about and excited to play varsity for, though I'm not sure how adcoms will view it in comparison to "normal" varsity sports.

(If it matters, the game I played was Overwatch lol)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why they would view it negatively. We all (should) have hobbies/passions/activities outside of medicine so if you're passionate about it and have space for it in your activities you should certainly list it.

Varsity sports require a huge time commitment that you should account for in your activities and work section (also known as ECs). The teamwork, camaraderie, and the empathy for injured teammates are all seen as pluses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Varsity sports require a huge time commitment that you should account for in your activities and work section (also known as ECs). The teamwork, camaraderie, and the empathy for injured teammates are all seen as pluses.
this person is talking about esports (video games), not track and field. but I would not be surprised if someone had gotten injured playing esports before

Reactions: 5 users
This is varsity esports haha. The biggest injuries are carpel tunnel. I think it's worth including because it's both unique and interesting, but I think you misunderstood the OP!

Reactions: 2 users
:lol:

I thought someone with an accent was using voice to text! Okay, I take back what I said! Obviously, someone can list esports and they are going to be misunderstood by aged members of the adcom.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
I think the answer is to definitely list it, since it IS a recognized activity (as evidenced by the fact that the school elevated it to varsity status). It's a total time sink, so if you don't list it, adcoms will probably wonder what you did with all of your time. It is different, shows dedication to an outside interest, and a certain level of achievement.

Beyond that, don't expect much. It won't receive the same respect as a physical sport, but the fact that some boomers might not get it is no reason not to be honest about who you are and what your interests are. The potential upside definitely outweighs the downside.

Do you guys think varsity esports is worth putting on the activities section of my app? My university has club esports that I was on for a year before the university introduced scholarships and started varsity esports. I got to be on the first varsity esports team for my university and lead the team to a couple of top tournament placings, which I think was pretty cool, but I'm not sure if any of this is worth including on my activities section. Do you guys think medical schools will see this kind of activity favorably? I'm a bit worried that older adcoms wouldn't view it positively and think I'm not taking the application process seriously. Esports was something I was really passionate about and excited to play varsity for, though I'm not sure how adcoms will view it in comparison to "normal" varsity sports.

I agree with others that the positives will likely outweigh the negatives. At the very least, it demonstrates your community-building and ability to work as a team towards a competitive shared goal, much like those participating intracollegiately in ultimate frisbee / quidditch leagues. This activity is recognized by the university, who is now also giving out scholarships for this pursuit. It may be helpful to include whether these tournaments were on the regional vs. national vs. international level. I would recommend listing this under Extracurriculars rather than Intercollegiate Athletics or Leadership. For bonus points, emphasize that you main with Mercy and not Reaper/Widowmaker ;).

I would be curious to hear the opinions of more seasoned faculty members. Should this activity be listed? @Goro @gonnif @Med Ed @gyngyn @LunaOri @Angus Avagadro

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I agree with others that the positives will likely outweigh the negatives. At the very least, it demonstrates your community-building and ability to work as a team towards a competitive shared goal, much like those participating intracollegiately in ultimate frisbee / quidditch leagues. This activity is recognized by the university, who is now also giving out scholarships for this pursuit. It may be helpful to include whether these tournaments were on the regional vs. national vs. international level. To be conservative, I would recommend listing this under Extracurriculars rather than Intercollegiate Athletics or Leadership. For bonus points, emphasize that you main with Mercy and not Reaper/Widowmaker ;).

I would be curious to hear the opinions of more seasoned faculty members. Should this activity be listed? @Goro @gonnif @Med Ed @gyngyn @LunaOri @Angus Avagadro
Thank you for the advice!

P.S. Am I doomed if I tell them I one-trick Widowmaker :cryi:

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with others that the positives will likely outweigh the negatives. At the very least, it demonstrates your community-building and ability to work as a team towards a competitive shared goal, much like those participating intracollegiately in ultimate frisbee / quidditch leagues. This activity is recognized by the university, who is now also giving out scholarships for this pursuit. It may be helpful to include whether these tournaments were on the regional vs. national vs. international level. To be conservative, I would recommend listing this under Extracurriculars rather than Intercollegiate Athletics or Leadership. For bonus points, emphasize that you main with Mercy and not Reaper/Widowmaker ;).

I had no idea varsity esports was given the kind of scholarships that typical sports get. Damn.

Members don't see this ad :)
This would be the reaction at my school.
I mean, I feel like the fact that he made a "varsity" team should be viewed as more of an accomplishment. It's pretty high performance. If I was a student interviewer, I would be hella interested, even if not quite impressed in the same way as if it were varsity football. OP did you get a full ride from doing this? Apparently some colleges have started giving those for esports.

I just want to point out boomers aren’t the only ones who won’t know what varsity esports is—I’m a millennial and I’d never heard of it before either. I had also assumed it was a typo, and was wondering why you’d put a high school accomplishment on your application to medical school.

By all means if it’s important to you and you want to talk about it at your interview list it, but I think it may be more likely to just confuse people.

I mean, I feel like the fact that he made a "varsity" team should be viewed as more of an accomplishment. It's pretty high performance. If I was a student interviewer, I would be hella interested, even if not quite impressed in the same way as if it were varsity football. OP did you get a full ride from doing this? Apparently some colleges have started giving those for esports.
Wish I got a full ride; the scholarship was only about a grand since I started in the pilot year of the varsity esports program at my school and I figure the university wants to see how we perform before they invest even more.

Wish I got a full ride; the scholarship was only about a grand since I started in the pilot year of the varsity esports program at my school and I figure the university wants to see how we perform before they invest even more.
What games do you compete in?

I think it's worth mentioning as it is a unique activity. It won't be as big of a plus as some other D1 sports, but the only negative I can potentially see is that it might be frustrating in med school when you don't have enough time to play as much as you are used to. Might consider backing off the playing time for awhile and see how you perform. I tell my students you should consider an hour a day of " ME" time for exercise or mental health. If grades are good, then you can expand the ME time. Good luck and best wishes!

Last edited:
  • Love
I just want to point out boomers aren’t the only ones who won’t know what varsity esports is—I’m a millennial and I’d never heard of it before either. I had also assumed it was a typo, and was wondering why you’d put a high school accomplishment on your application to medical school.

By all means if it’s important to you and you want to talk about it at your interview list it, but I think it may be more likely to just confuse people.
why did you think it was high school? Varsity can refer to college too.

I think it's worth mentioning as it is a unique activity. It won't be as big of a plus as some other D1 sports, but the only negative I can potentially see is that it might be frustrating in med school when you don't have enough time to play as much as you are used to. Might consider backing off the playing time for awhile and see how you perform. I tell my students you should consider an hour a day of " ME" time for exercise or mental health. If grades are good, then you can expand the ME time. Good luck and beat wishes!
Yea, I mean worst case it will be seen as a hobby he's accomplished in, and most med schools like seeing student hobbies.

why did you think it was high school? Varsity can refer to college too.
I didn’t think colleges had varsity/JV-I thought you were either on the school team or intramural.

If they do have varsity/JV it shows my lack of understanding of both esports and college sports. My understanding of professional sports isn’t the greatest either…

I didn’t think colleges had varsity/JV-I thought you were either on the school team or intramural.

If they do have varsity/JV it shows my lack of understanding of both esports and college sports. My understanding of professional sports isn’t the greatest either…
there's no JV on the college level but there is usually a distinction between "varsity" and "club" sports. Varsity are the main ones officially representing the school, part of NCAA, etc. Club sports may still get funding and be very competitive but aren't quite the same level of official. Technically under this definition esports likely would be more on the club level (since no NCAA recognition) but varsity sounds cooler.

I was involved in leadership and a team for the esports club (one of them was my MME) at my university and the interviews I attended, they all asked me about it and were really interested on this particular experience, including the boomers that didn’t know what e-sports was. I explained to them what it was and explained my experiences with my team, the skills being in team based game helped me develop (leadership, collaboration, analytical skills, etc) and what I did for the club and it went great for me (n=1).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Opposite side of the spectrum (n=1) but ik someone that put video games as an MME and got only DO with a 4.0 515+.

n=1 though like I said.

Reactions: 1 users
What is an MME?
Most Meaningful Experience! :)

Enjoying gaming is one thing. Admitting to an adcom that it's one of the most meaningful things in your life, even if true, definitely takes it to another level!

Reactions: 3 users
Most Meaningful Experience! :)

Enjoying gaming is one thing. Admitting to an adcom that it's one of the most meaningful things in your life, even if true, definitely takes it to another level!
bruh. that's so funny. I'm imagining a 500 word essay talking about which characters he mains in smash bros and his speed runtime on super mario odyssey... then how those experiences made him realize he wants to enter medicine (Dr. Mario was a real gamechanger...)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Okay as an activity; probably not as an MME. If you write about it, focus on skills you learned (teamwork, etc) that are generalizable to real life. It could also be interesting to hear how you organized a brand new team and took it all the way to serious tournament contention.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone, bit of an odd question, but I haven't seen it talked about much on here so I thought I'd give it a shot and see what the general consensus is.

Do you guys think varsity esports is worth putting on the activities section of my app? My university has club esports that I was on for a year before the university introduced scholarships and started varsity esports. I got to be on the first varsity esports team for my university and lead the team to a couple of top tournament placings, which I think was pretty cool, but I'm not sure if any of this is worth including on my activities section. I was on the team for about a year before I stopped to study for the MCAT, since being on the varsity team was basically a full time job.

Do you guys think medical schools will see this kind of activity favorably? I'm a bit worried that older adcoms wouldn't view it positively and think I'm not taking the application process seriously. Esports was something I was really passionate about and excited to play varsity for, though I'm not sure how adcoms will view it in comparison to "normal" varsity sports.

Are you T500? If you are I would frame it around that, being top 500 in your region sounds cool regardless of what its about. Dude I can't climb out of Diamond as a Dva main.

Opposite side of the spectrum (n=1) but ik someone that put video games as an MME and got only DO with a 4.0 515+.

n=1 though like I said.
I think you can justify it as a MME if you are so obviously rich from gamez when someone Googles your Steam username that you are clearly not going into medicine for the money. Otherwise,
No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Haha
Just to add another perspective, I put a pretty unique (and subjectively weird) sport participation in my application. I even included it as one of my most meaningful experiences, which I believe was significant because I had a lot of things that traditionally would have been someones MME. I think it only helped me, or at least not adcoms emailed me saying that was the reason for my rejection. Most interviewers wanted to talk about it and I spent a significant portion talking about it. I clearly outlined how it helped me become a better person and a better candidate, so it helped paint better paint the picture of who I was as a person, plus it was memorable enough my interviewers mentioned it when I attended it. If you can't do that, I'd list it but don't highlight it

Hello OP,

I am a dental student but I have a classmate who also was collegiate eSport athlete in a D1 University. So I reached out to him for a few encouraging words! He said:

“I was also in this situation prior to dental school where I had been part of my university’s club esports program that then became an integrated official program during my final year. I actually got to sign a day early because my interview for dental school was on our signing day. For me, and it seems for you as well, Esports was an incredibly important part of my undergraduate experience in many ways and it made me grow as a person in ways that I felt would be beneficial as a healthcare provider. Because of this I spoke about esports in many of my mini interviews and listed it as an extracurricular on my applications. I understand your worries that the old guys at the top won’t care about it and won’t see it as a “real” sport, but that’s an opportunity for you because you can bridge that gap by providing knowledge on the subject and also explaining how the teamwork and leadership will help you excel in your future career. FYI, on my application, I put it as an extracurricular because I wrote that before we became varsity.”

His credentials:
1. He was student chairman of Overwatch for 2 years and He’s been team captain for 4 years.
2. Got to national playoffs in Tespa 2x (It’s now called “Activision-Blizzard Collegiate”)
3. He had a 3.97 GPA and made a 24 on DAT (which is roughly 520+ on MCAT)

Before the dental school started, I remember the admissions committee was sharing how excited he was to bring in a diversity to our class. Committee had a son who played Overwatch, so he knew the game, but he wasn’t too fond of the game itself though due to it’s addictive nature haha

Guess I don't know what is involved with this but if I were on a committee (once was ) I would put this on par with being a pinball wizard.

On an Adcom. Yes worth putting. Will be appreciated and not viewed negatively, but at the same time it won’t get you an extra star either. Fairly neutral, but shows another side of who you are that will be useful.

this person is talking about esports (video games), not track and field. but I would not be surprised if someone had gotten injured playing esports before
I guess carpal tunnel is an injury. I wonder if they have IR lists with time they will come back to playing.

I presume esports is video games? in which case you have a future in robotic surgery. we have 3d eye pieces, controllers and it's the best video game you'll have do. :)

Reactions: 1 users
But can the OP beat Maru?
Need to get into a real game, like Starcraft 2 or the original. :)

US esports can’t touch Korean Esports. Those guys are truly dedicated.

But can the OP beat Maru?
Need to get into a real game, like Starcraft 2 or the original. :)

US esports can’t touch Korean Esports. Those guys are truly dedicated.
If you’re not playing until you die you’re not a real gamer apparently.

• Wow
played cs:go at large tournaments and made legitimate income from it but i felt it was wiser to leave it off my app. I just didnt know how i would explain it in an interview

played cs:go at large tournaments and made legitimate income from it but i felt it was wiser to leave it off my app. I just didnt know how i would explain it in an interview
how much income we talking? like dude if you're making 10k+ of gaming I feel like that's a legit positive point unless you look disgusting and give stereotypical gamer vibes.

:lol:

I thought someone with an accent was using voice to text! Okay, I take back what I said! Obviously, someone can list esports and they are going to be misunderstood by aged members of the adcom.
LOL. I think this answers the OPs question quite well...

Im in my 30s and play a lot of competitive VR games but I don't think the older generation would necessarily view it same way as you or I might. Heck even I think a little less of it and I play it, lol.

LOL. I think this answers the OPs question quite well...

Im in my 30s and play a lot of competitive VR games but I don't think the older generation would necessarily view it same way as you or I might. Heck even I think a little less of it and I play it, lol.
On the other hand, I had an interventional radiologist do a ultrasound guided biopsy some years back (everything turned out fine in the end) and I recall asking him if he played video games as a kid (he had). There are some skills that are honed by seeing in 2D and thinking and moving in 3D. I have no idea if esports hone those skills but I wouldn't discount it anymore than I'd discount some other hobbies that build eye-hand coordination.

1639000730144.jpeg

The Admissions office perceptions, except low stat vs high stat (this is a joke... hopefully)

On the other hand, I had an interventional radiologist do a ultrasound guided biopsy some years back (everything turned out fine in the end) and I recall asking him if he played video games as a kid (he had). There are some skills that are honed by seeing in 2D and thinking and moving in 3D. I have no idea if esports hone those skills but I wouldn't discount it anymore than I'd discount some other hobbies that build eye-hand coordination.

I’m an absolute ace in jets in Battlefield. Where are my IIs?

View attachment 346610
The Admissions office perceptions, except low stat vs high stat (this is a joke... hopefully)

Bruh you couldn’t find a higher quality version than this?

Fragedelphia or higher?