Just discovered this thread while browsing SDN. (kinda like how you can dive into YouTube recommended video binges /shrug)
Video games admittedly constituted more than three activities for me, a most meaningful, and a couple paragraphs of my personal statement. Not ONCE were they listed as hobbies. It provided a couple avenues of leadership, moderating, administration and PR skills, the chance to meet hundreds of people from around the world, experience fundraising, and even making me a better scribe (my WPM is over 100 now kekw). Of course, I had a lot of the stuff you'd want out of a premed (clinical and nonclinical interests), but this was hardly a cookie-cutter application. A lot of the responsibilities of common activities on a primary speak for themselves but I definitely had more explaining to do with the character limits I had ("Now what in tarnation is a moderator on 'Twitch' or 'Discord'?").
But I can genuinely say that the social skills I learned being in the realm of video games and Esports probably gave me the dose of "professional hot seat" I needed to grow as a person. Interacting with all sorts of people and tackling issues in online communities became second-nature. The one interview I had was 2 hours of closed-file MMI and I was right at home answering prompts that the school intentionally made sure interviewees would have never seen before.
Of course, n = 1 and I can't say it wasn't stressful applying with so many activities centered around video games. I just wanted to go to med school, not be a pioneer with a different realm of activity list! But I can't deny that I'm the person I am now in large part due to them! There was a school who was willing to take a chance on that, and who liked what they saw on interview day.
To answer your question, by all means! Include Esports as a hobby/varsity sport and be prepared to answer questions about them (even though I wasn't asked lol). There are so many avenues you can take to develop yourself as a premed ready for the next step that I can't imagine a med school shutting you out just for playing varsity Overwatch.
btw the games I were most into were Pokemon đŸ™‚