How do Medschools look at undergrads who transferred?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCdannyLA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help! please? :)

My first two years of undergrad were at Rutgers University...I got a 3.76 GPA there as part of the honors program.

I transferred to UCLA this year (I'm a third year) b/c my family moved to Southern California. I have a 3.6 through 2 qtrs (but looking to improve a lot more b4 I apply next year; to around 3.75+).

So my question is...how will med schools look at my academic history? will my GPA be combined..or separate?...will med schools weigh my UCLA GPA more?

Thanks a ton

P.S.
Rutgers counts B+'s as 3.5...but UCLA counts them as 3.3. What do med schools do?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly think they won't care if you transfered. Why would it matter? Rutgers and UCLA are both good schools, and you did well at both.

-Liz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's factored into your AMCAS GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
martianMIKE said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's factored into your AMCAS GPA.

Yeah it is.

The AMCAS has its own method of weighing As and Bs so your grades from both institutions will be given equal weight. I transferred from U of Rochester to Washington U after one year and took several courses at a state school as well. The grades were all factored equally and when I interviewed the interviewer only asked a few questions regarding why I had transferred.

UCdannyLA said:
Need some help! please? :)

My first two years of undergrad were at Rutgers University...I got a 3.76 GPA there as part of the honors program.

I transferred to UCLA this year (I'm a third year) b/c my family moved to Southern California. I have a 3.6 through 2 qtrs (but looking to improve a lot more b4 I apply next year; to around 3.75+).

So my question is...how will med schools look at my academic history? will my GPA be combined..or separate?...will med schools weigh my UCLA GPA more?

Thanks a ton

P.S.
Rutgers counts B+'s as 3.5...but UCLA counts them as 3.3. What do med schools do?

For the purposes of the AMCAS app, your BCPM will be combined and your total gpa will be too. I think you are totally cool, and this won't hurt you one bit. It could even help you and give you some cool perspective other students don't have!

JH