How do my EC's look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulErDr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting closer to the application cycle coming up this summer and I was trying to see what else I should be doing!

So far I have
~300 hours scribing in the ED
~150 hours volunteering in the ED where I was a navigator (I took patients back, sometimes in wheelchairs, other times I cleaned and reset rooms if we were very busy, I also helped get those in the waiting room on the list to be seen)
-2 years as a lab assistant for microbiology (making media, helping teach labs, inoculating cultures etc)
-one semester (maybe 2 after the spring) as an anatomy lab assistant (helping dissect, set up practicals, teaching students, etc.)
-one semester as a peer mentor for incoming nursing students (2 classes)
-one semester of research (created a database of bacterial isolates collected over the past 4 years)

I know my biggest weakness of not having any non clinical volunteering and I'm trying to find ways to get some. It's just hard due to my college being in a rural area. Also, I don't have shadowing but I was wondering if scribing helped to fix that. I follow multiple physicians around in and out of patient's rooms taking histories and sometimes helping with simple parts of procedures (setting up, watching, handing supplies etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

I am not applying for medical school yet but from what I have researched I think that scribing does kind of make up for shadowing. I would just make sure you describe it in a similar way in your applications. Nonclinical volunteering is not something to stress over if you already have clinical volunteering experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not applying for medical school yet but from what I have researched I think that scribing does kind of make up for shadowing. I would just make sure you describe it in a similar way in your applications. Nonclinical volunteering is not something to stress over if you already have clinical volunteering experience.
Okay, I'm still going to try to shadow maybe 2 other doctors. I just didn't know if I should continue with my clinical volunteering or stop and start finding non clinical opportunities.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You have decent clinical experience, so if you wanted to reduce the amount of hours there and dip into non-clinical a bit, that wouldn't be a bad idea.
Do you think it would look like box checking 6 months from application time?

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

You serving as a peer mentor already is non-clinical in a way, so I mean if you were consistent during the 6 months and possibly a little after it wouldn't look like a box check. It won't push your application over the edge, It just depends if you really want to do it/enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 user
You serving as a peer mentor already is non-clinical in a way, so I mean if you were consistent during the 6 months and possibly a little after it wouldn't look like a box check. It won't push your application over the edge, It just depends if you really want to do it/enjoy it.
Okay, I had thought about trying to tutor science at the local high school, but I only think I could make it maybe 1 day a week.