How do osteopathic schools know you're ESL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matrix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Some say that if you're an ESL student, some osteopathic schools may understand your poor verbal + writing score in the MCAT. Now, my questions is, how do the schools know that you're ESL?
I remember filling out a survey right after finishing the April MCAT and know there was a question asking whether English was your first language or not. But I thought this was just a survey for a study and your answers will not be notified to the medschools you're applying. (didn't the survey say that the answers will not affect your score and admission?).

If the schools do get your answers to the survey, then does this mean that they will also know how many hours you studied for the MCAT, if you took Kaplan or TPR, etc …??

If the schools do not get your response, then I have no idea how they can find out that English was your second language because no where in the application (as far as I can remember) asking this (for the AAMC they did have a section on this). Was I suppose to include it in my personal statement? If that's the case, I guess the only chance that I can notify them now is through my secondary.

Please help me out with my questions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

English was technically my second lang too...although i eventually learned it and became bilingual by the time i entered kindergarten... so doesn anyone know if i should put "english as my second lang" on teh aacomas also?

i put it on the personal statement briefly and it always comes up on the interviews. Got accepted at Western U.