hugh2012

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
How do people get into medical school and defer their enrollment for a year? I am very interested in applying, getting in, and deferring enrollment for a year because I would rather not have the burden of applications during my year off when I can be doing something I enjoy. I heard adcoms only let you defer if you have a Fullbright or Rhodes Scholar or something substantial. Is that true? So can you defer to travel?

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
ask the adcoms politely.

gublagu3

2+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For a deferral, there usually need to be special circumstances, like some one wants to finish a PHD program or take part in peace corps. I would imagine they would look unfavorably upon someone who wants to take time off just for travel.

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Deferments are decided by each school based on its own criteria and, most importantly, are a privilege. That is, no school is obligated to give you a deferment for any reason whatsoever. There are still some that will not give you one for financial aid issue, to complete previous scholarly work, etc. My comment to this that I have made to students on the issue, some of the most important characteristics that an adcom looks for are commitment and motivation, as the long years of training in medical school and residency, followed by practice, require a doctor to have. So, therefore, if you want to travel, to take time off, then take it, take 2 years if need be to have a gap year to apply. But do not apply with idea that after acceptance you can request a deferment for travel as that could, however remote the possibility, have an adcom question your commitment, review your application, and withdraw your acceptance. While that is an exceedingly rare occurrence, I have seen it twice in my 30 years of being involved in medical school admissions in one form or another.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
How do people get into medical school and defer their enrollment for a year? I am very interested in applying, getting in, and deferring enrollment for a year because I would rather not have the burden of applications during my year off when I can be doing something I enjoy. I heard adcoms only let you defer if you have a Fullbright or Rhodes Scholar or something substantial. Is that true? So can you defer to travel?
Some schools are liberal about granting a deferment, some never do, and many need a good reason. Among the latter are those that won't be friendly to a pre-existing plan to put off matriculation. Are you willing to do the research that would tailor your application list to only those schools that are friendly to deferment requests?

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Some schools are liberal about granting a deferment, some never do, and many need a good reason. Among the latter are those that won't be friendly to a pre-existing plan to put off matriculation. Are you willing to do the research that would tailor your application list to only those schools that are friendly to deferment requests?
Even then, your are working with probabilities, not certainties

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
On the other hand, I suspect that when faced with over-enrollment, a school will be very liberal in offering deferments as they are far cheaper (no cost!) compared with bumping students, usually at a cost of 30-50K/student as an inducement to defer a year.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
On the other hand, I suspect that when faced with over-enrollment, a school will be very liberal in offering deferments as they are far cheaper (no cost!) compared with bumping students, usually at a cost of 30-50K/student as an inducement to defer a year.
I've seen it happen. Good times for all.

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If offered a free year of tuition or comparable, I have to say I would probably take a deferment and do a research year or something...