How Do People Defer Enrollment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hugh2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do people get into medical school and defer their enrollment for a year? I am very interested in applying, getting in, and deferring enrollment for a year because I would rather not have the burden of applications during my year off when I can be doing something I enjoy. I heard adcoms only let you defer if you have a Fullbright or Rhodes Scholar or something substantial. Is that true? So can you defer to travel?

Members don't see this ad.

ask the adcoms politely.

For a deferral, there usually need to be special circumstances, like some one wants to finish a PHD program or take part in peace corps. I would imagine they would look unfavorably upon someone who wants to take time off just for travel.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do people get into medical school and defer their enrollment for a year? I am very interested in applying, getting in, and deferring enrollment for a year because I would rather not have the burden of applications during my year off when I can be doing something I enjoy. I heard adcoms only let you defer if you have a Fullbright or Rhodes Scholar or something substantial. Is that true? So can you defer to travel?
Some schools are liberal about granting a deferment, some never do, and many need a good reason. Among the latter are those that won't be friendly to a pre-existing plan to put off matriculation. Are you willing to do the research that would tailor your application list to only those schools that are friendly to deferment requests?

Applying to medical school without the intention of going to medical school next year is a dumb idea.

Reactions: 1 users
You can't defer for the reason you stated.

On the other hand, I suspect that when faced with over-enrollment, a school will be very liberal in offering deferments as they are far cheaper (no cost!) compared with bumping students, usually at a cost of 30-50K/student as an inducement to defer a year.

On the other hand, I suspect that when faced with over-enrollment, a school will be very liberal in offering deferments as they are far cheaper (no cost!) compared with bumping students, usually at a cost of 30-50K/student as an inducement to defer a year.
I've seen it happen. Good times for all.

If offered a free year of tuition or comparable, I have to say I would probably take a deferment and do a research year or something...