How Do People Defer Enrollment?

Started by hugh2012
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hugh2012

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do people get into medical school and defer their enrollment for a year? I am very interested in applying, getting in, and deferring enrollment for a year because I would rather not have the burden of applications during my year off when I can be doing something I enjoy. I heard adcoms only let you defer if you have a Fullbright or Rhodes Scholar or something substantial. Is that true? So can you defer to travel?
 
For a deferral, there usually need to be special circumstances, like some one wants to finish a PHD program or take part in peace corps. I would imagine they would look unfavorably upon someone who wants to take time off just for travel.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do people get into medical school and defer their enrollment for a year? I am very interested in applying, getting in, and deferring enrollment for a year because I would rather not have the burden of applications during my year off when I can be doing something I enjoy. I heard adcoms only let you defer if you have a Fullbright or Rhodes Scholar or something substantial. Is that true? So can you defer to travel?
Some schools are liberal about granting a deferment, some never do, and many need a good reason. Among the latter are those that won't be friendly to a pre-existing plan to put off matriculation. Are you willing to do the research that would tailor your application list to only those schools that are friendly to deferment requests?
 
If offered a free year of tuition or comparable, I have to say I would probably take a deferment and do a research year or something...