-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How do people match with a failing Step 1?
Started by YA7ES
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yes?
Well, you still can.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do know that those people retake, right?
You do know that those people retake, right?
Their retake would be reported in the match, not their original score.
Perhaps they are DO students who failed the USMLE but were able to match on the strength of their COMLEX score?
That's actually a really good point and probably the reality.
That's actually a really good point and probably the reality.
Somebody addresses his already in a different thread. I sincerely doubt someone is failing step 1 and that a MD residency would look their comlex instead.
However, the bar for failing has risen in recent years and so if you account for those cases, along with the huge number of people that fall in the upper part of the 180-190 range, I think that is the more likely explanation.
I know this is a old topic, but didn't want to recreate a thread w/ the same question. And it looks like its not answered here... anyone know the answer to this question??
I look at family med and most people with below 180 step score match . . .
I look at family med and most people with below 180 step score match . . .
I know this is a old topic, but didn't want to recreate a thread w/ the same question. And it looks like its not answered here... anyone know the answer to this question??
I look at family med and most people with below 180 step score match . . .
The answer is simple. There are programs that will accept applicants who have passed Step 1 within a few attempts. As far as the Charting Outcomes, is it possible that it recorded the scores for all attempts? I.e. someone got a 180 and then a 210, which was both recorded.
Even though the match is getting slightly tougher, it's still possible to match as an AMG with having failed Step 1. You will have to apply broadly, and rock your 3rd year + Step 2.
The answer is simple. There are programs that will accept applicants who have passed Step 1 within a few attempts. As far as the Charting Outcomes, is it possible that it recorded the scores for all attempts? I.e. someone got a 180 and then a 210, which was both recorded.
Even though the match is getting slightly tougher, it's still possible to match as an AMG with having failed Step 1. You will have to apply broadly, and rock your 3rd year + Step 2.
My understanding is that it is just your first attempt. Not both.
So if you get a 170 initially, retake and pass. The 170 still shows up on charting outcomes.
My understanding is that it is just your first attempt. Not both.
So if you get a 170 initially, retake and pass. The 170 still shows up on charting outcomes.
thats a weird thing to do.. you'd think that they'd take the passing score.. itd definitely be less misleading. i mean if a student gets a 180 and then a 270 thats a big difference..
While possible, I can't imagine someone who got a 180 getting a score that high unless they just got up and left halfway through the first take.
thats a weird thing to do.. you'd think that they'd take the passing score.. itd definitely be less misleading. i mean if a student gets a 180 and then a 270 thats a big difference..
I think it would be more misleading to only report the passing score. Someone who got a 270 on first attempt isn't exactly equal to someone who got a 270 after a failing score. To make this more relatable to us mere mortals, someone who got a 180 on the first try, then got a 230 may not be seen in the same light as someone who got a 230 on the first try. At least, that's what I've heard.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 896
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 3K