How do people react when you tell them you're a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted862527

1) Guys: Do chicks immediately want to be your girlfriend? Girls: are guys suddenly interested in you?
2) If you have attended your High School reunion, or have seen former classmates from High School, how did the AKA "Popular Kids" who may have looked down on you for being studious react?
3) Did people suck up to you?
4) Comment any stories below! This is meant as a fun thread to describe the various amount of experiences encountered in social situations once revealing to others your role as a Doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Not a troll thread. I talked to an M.D. recently, and he claimed that since being an M.D. he is more respected than he was before earning it.

Just wanted to hear other people's stories. Sorry if you interpreted it that way.

This is only a troll thread in the premed forum, where any acknowledgment of prestige or money is disregarded as foolish and selfish, and the expected motivation of a physician is to pursue a life more altruistic than Gandhi and Jesus combined. This kindling of the firey, altruistic passion to be a physician was borne at the tender age of 6, when you applied a suture on a disabled classmate who fell on the swings at recess

Reactions: 18 users
This is only a troll thread in the premed forum, where any acknowledgment of prestige or money is disregarded as foolish and selfish, and the expected motivation of a physician is to pursue a life more altruistic than Gandhi and Jesus combined. This kindling of the firey, altruistic passion to be a physician was borne at the tender age of 6, when you applied a suture on a disabled classmate who fell on the swings at recess
It's no my a troll thread, it's just stupid. I honestly have no interest in other people's high school reunions.

"I'll show those popular kids by being a doctor! Proving mean high schoolers wrong is why I went to med school!" Nah.

Reactions: 2 users
It's no my a troll thread, it's just stupid. I honestly have no interest in other people's high school reunions.

"I'll show those popular kids by being a doctor! Proving mean high schoolers wrong is why I went to med school!" Nah.
I agree its stupid.

That's not really how I wanted my post to be interpreted. Just thought it would be rather interesting. It's not about proving anything to popular kids.

But anyway, just end the discussion here considering a lot of the feedback has generally been negative.

common reactions:
1. awe. They are amazed. Especially with people who don't know me.
2. awe. I was a bit of a **** up in high school. This is for people who knew me.
3. Hostility. The fact that you finished med school seems to irritate some people and they immediately seek to ask you questions to discredit you.
4. Reactions of insecurity. They immediately praise you and compare themselves and say whatever they did is ****ty (although I would never think that and never said anything to even hint at that).

why is everybody considering this a troll thread?

Reactions: 1 users
The one physician in my HS graduating class didn't show up to our reunion. Still carrying a grudge after being passed over for a specific prize at graduation.

Most common reaction after someone learns that you are a physician: "I have this funny rash/spot/pain right ...over... here. Whadda ya think it could be?"

Reactions: 14 users
On an airplane, I tell them I am a respiratory therapist.
I should use that line, since it's technically true :laugh:

"I work at the hospital. I do a lot of paperwork, it's boring, you wouldn't want to hear about it" is probably my future go-to.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I should use that line, since it's technically true :laugh:

"I work at the hospital. I do a lot of paperwork, it's boring, you wouldn't want to hear about it" is probably my future go-to.
You have no idea how hellish travel was before I figured this out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Most people say "have fun paying off all that debt." Lol

On an airplane, I tell them I am a respiratory therapist.
This was mildly funny at first.

Then I remembered that you're an OB/GYN.

And it became hilarious.

Reactions: 8 users
You could just say you're in the life insurance industry ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have no idea how hellish travel was before I figured this out!

What did you encounter when you identified yourself as a physician? Did the attendants treat you much differently and make you do extra things? :eyebrow:

What did you encounter when you identified yourself as a physician? Did the attendants treat you much differently and make you do extra things? :eyebrow:
The only reason to identify yourself as a physician is in the rare case of an on-board emergency. Even then, you hope for an internist to volunteer first.
If a seat mate strikes up a conversation, letting them know you are an ObGyn is a good way to open up grisly tales of 2o hour labors...and worse.

Reactions: 4 users
The only reason to identify yourself as a physician is in the rare case of an on-board emergency. Even then, you hope for an internist to volunteer first.
If a seat mate strikes up a conversation, letting them know you are an ObGyn is a good way to open up grisly tales of 2o hour labors...and worse.

Hahaha I can only imagine lol. I was wondering about what to do in the case of an emergency, thanks for clearing that up!

Hahaha I can only imagine lol. I was wondering about what to do in the case of an emergency, thanks for clearing that up!
About the same things a boy scout would do.
It seems to make everyone calm down, though.

Advice from a vascular surgeon I shadowed... "Don't tell people you're a doctor. People ask weird questions, and it is impossible to land a good deal at a car dealership." :laugh:

Reactions: 12 users
I find people tend to assume I know every other doctor in the country and get upset if I don't know someone. Or they tell me stories of any time they know of a doctor missing a diagnosis or messing up.

I didn't have a ten year class reunion because our class president was studying for step 1 and forgot to sign our class up. So I am not the only doctor in my graduating class and I don't think anyone would care.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"Woops, sorry not much I can do I'm just a respiratory therapist, but if I was a doctor I'd say someone should start chest compressions STAT..."

Reactions: 1 users
The one physician in my HS graduating class didn't show up to our reunion. Still carrying a grudge after being passed over for a specific prize at graduation.

Most common reaction after someone learns that you are a physician: "I have this funny rash/spot/pain right ...over... here. Whadda ya think it could be?"
My HS class must have been a bunch of overacheivers. I estimate that ~5% of became doctors. Only three PhDs, though.

When I find out someone is a doctor, I immediately ask where they went to school, and why did they pick their particular specialty.

My HS class must have been a bunch of overacheivers. I estimate that ~5% of became doctors. Only three PhDs, though.

When I find out someone is a doctor, I immediately ask where they went to school, and why did they pick their particular specialty.

I may be way out of the loop, but what is your doctorate in, Goro?

I may be way out of the loop, but what is your doctorate in, Goro?
In case you had the same line of thought, I'm pretty sure it's a bio field and Goro is NOT Walter Hartwig, author of Getting in, Getting Through, and Getting on with Doctoring.

Last edited:
A thread like this was bound to get a negative reaction because of the classic theme in movies where the nerd succeeds and suddenly everyone wants them. It's really not that dramatic in real life. :)

That said, most people stop at "doctor" if they ask what I do--but some will ask what kind. That's when I confess, i do get a real kick out of it, because people are shocked that I am a trauma orthopod. I don't fit the physical stereotype. (Then I open my mouth and it's like "yep.")

I could tell you, but then I'd have to reject you.

ImageUploadedBySDN1499966405.615534.jpg

Chicks dont give a ****. Maybe its because im still prepod.

In case you had the same line of thought, I'm pretty sure it's a bio field and Goro is NOT Walter Hartwig, author of Getting in, Getting Through, and Getting on with Doctoring.

Just looked this guy up. It's funny because he's the associate dean at Touro in Cali. Maybe that's why Goro always says to not go to Touro-NY

I did med school/residency at the same hospital.

Med school: nurses were annoyed when you asked about the patient.

Residency: here's my number, text me if you need ANYTHING.

But day to day life? Still the same ole g.
As LizzyM said, people will ask you medical stuff. My friends stoll make fun of me for lacking common sense at times