How do preceptors for APPE feel about doctor's appointments,etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligirly1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start APPE rotations next month and am concerned how my preceptors will feel when I need to go to a doctor's appointment. How is that viewed? I do have RA and need regular check ups and blood work, as well as a heart murmur. I am estimating that in half of my rotations there will be one day I will have to leave early for a doctor's appointment. I've made it a point to schedule these appointments at the last available time, but I don't know how leaving early will be perceived. I really want to make a good impression, and don't want to be thought of as weak or incapable of doing everything I am supposed to be doing; however part of that is taking care of myself which is why I need to attend these appointments. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is usually some allowance for this in your IPPE student handbook. Check the rules your school has set up for this. As a preceptor, I don't mind as long as you let me know before the rotation begins if at all possible. Of course there are things you can't forsee, but if these are scheduled, regular visits, you should know well in advance and can let your preceptor know. And offer to make up the time if you need to.

ETA: Sorry APPE, I keep saying IPPE lately :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I went on a long weekend vacation on one rotation. I don't think they will mind so long as you don't wait til the last minute to tell them.... Most of them didn't care. For many rotations the preceptors don't need you to function so they look at you as an extra hand for the most part.

Seems like the past 2 rotations I've been on and the current rotation that I started today all have times when you can tell that you won't be doing much. During the first week of the rotation, discuss with the preceptor when a good time to schedule an appt would be. If you have a doctor that you think you'd need to schedule with way in advance, late afternoon Fridays are usually a good time, if your doctor works then. Just be aware that you may have to make up this time later (though that seldom happens).

I'm going to start APPE rotations next month and am concerned how my preceptors will feel when I need to go to a doctor's appointment. How is that viewed? I do have RA and need regular check ups and blood work, as well as a heart murmur. I am estimating that in half of my rotations there will be one day I will have to leave early for a doctor's appointment. I've made it a point to schedule these appointments at the last available time, but I don't know how leaving early will be perceived. I really want to make a good impression, and don't want to be thought of as weak or incapable of doing everything I am supposed to be doing; however part of that is taking care of myself which is why I need to attend these appointments. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Most preceptors should be understanding. Just make sure to let them know as soon as you start (or email them ahead of time and ask if the date is ok) and assure them that you won't let the time missed affect patient care or the quality of your work.

I had PT 3x/week for 2 rotations (2 weekdays) and managed because I let my preceptors know at the start and did not let it interfere with my rotations. One was retail so I was able to schedule my hours around it. The other was oncology and I just scheduled it as late as possible and went in early to do anything else I needed. I had doctor's appointments during most of my rotations. Missing one afternoon really shouldn't be a problem.

I don't recommend taking a whole day off and making up the hours the rest of the week for most rotations. If you're on a direct patient care rotation, you will likely be spending more than 8 hours a day at rotation anyway and it will be a day of patient care and discussions that you will miss. It's different if you don't have a choice and need a full day off (of course).