How do PT schools view Science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tom4130

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently finished the Pre-Allied Health program at my Community College and completed all my major science classes, Chem, Bio, A&P, Physics, which are also most Pre-Req's for PT school. I received and A in every class other than Chem 2 and A&P 1, which I got a B in both. However, before taking Chem 1&2 I received the letter grade of a C in my first ever 'Chem A' course, which is more for nursing majors and does not transfer as a credited chem course to most 4-year colleges. When PT school's look at my transcript and notice the C in Chem A, will that effect my science GPA, or is it only the specific pre-req science classes required by the school that they look at? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This depends on your school. Some schools only look at your Science/Math GPA; others look at your cumulative GPA; others will look at on pre-req GPA... So, you have to check with the school(s) you'll be applying to, on how they regard GPAs. If you're doing PTCAS, then you really don't have much of a choice as to what GPA the committee will see.

OK thank you I will look more into what schools I am interested in do. But for the C I got in the 'Chem A' class, do you PT schools still view that as part of the pre-req GPA since it is not really a transferrable course, like Chem 1&2 are. I am unsure if it can have a strong negative impact on my GPA or not

Members don't see this ad :)
OK thank you I will look more into what schools I am interested in do. But for the C I got in the 'Chem A' class, do you PT schools still view that as part of the pre-req GPA since it is not really a transferrable course, like Chem 1&2 are. I am unsure if it can have a strong negative impact on my GPA or not

When you send your transcripts every grade will be viewable, regardless of if it is a pre-requisite course or not. It honestly would depend on the specific schools you are applying as to whether they would count that course or not.

PTCAS calculates an overall science and math GPA and also a prerequisite GPA. It will show up in your science GPA since the subject (chemistry) is a science, but when you add the course to the PTCAS coursework don't add it as a prerequisite since it's not. Don't worry about the course grade itself since you've shown that you can handle the more rigorous courses.

Last edited: