How do PT students spend their weekend evenings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToxicWaterr
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN and current DPT students,

I start school this upcoming summer but I was curious as to how PT students spend their weekends (particularly in the evening). I have come across students who use the weekends to study whereas others take more time off. I definitely foresee myself simply using these evenings to just 'relax' - sit back, watch movies, play video games, TV, eat, and drink (an occasional beer here and there). As for going out, I think I am more inclined to just chill as opposed to spending more energy partying, considering the amount of man hours that are spent during the week on academics.

Anyone else on the same boat as I am?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on what's coming up, how much studying/work I need to do, etc. Once you get a feel for the flow of your workload, it becomes a lot easier to manage your time. I don't think I've ever studied through an entire weekend. If I have a big test on a Monday, I will probably be studying certain times each day. If I don't have a big test, I will probably be relaxing a lot more. Everyone is different. There is still plenty of time for friends, family, fun, relaxing, working out, etc. You just have to become better with managing and planning your time. Congrats on your acceptance!

My weekends definitely were based around what I needed to do both academically and personally. If it were the weekend before a huge test or practical, I won't lie- I was at school all weekend. Literally like 8am-10pm. (Then again, I'm sort of a perfectionist and I was generally with a classmate, so we were taking breaks and whatnot). If I wasn't studying for a serious exam, then I'd probably be relaxing, going to see a band play, going to a movie, etc. It all depended on what my boyfriend and friends were up to- some weekends were super chill and some were packed full of fun, like a normal person.

You'll find your groove and figure out what works best for you and if you're lucky, you'll find a few friends in your class that find the same things enjoyable!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm all in favor of forgetting about school on Saturdays and studying like a crazy person on Sundays...that's gotten me through so far but we'll see if that works out in PT school or not!

I spent at least five hours studying on both Saturdays and Sundays. If you're going to work PRN on the weekends, then get used to working five hours on the weekends. The weekend before finals, all I did was study.

Study maybe a total of 3-4 hours on weekends...and thats while I watch football

I do most of my studying on the weekend. 5-7 hrs for each Sat and Sunday. Then about 1 hr after class (since classes are 8am-5pm mon-fri).

To be very honest, I don't think it is possible to get through PT school without a commitment to studying on the weekend. But then again, every program is different. My school is pretty rigorous and we typically have 1-2 exams/practicals a week.

Reactions: 1 users