How do schools evaluate applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidflip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what weight was given to the DAT interview and GPA.

I have heard from some people that the DAT is the only thing that counts and the rest is ignored. This sounded absolutley absurd to me. I was wondering what the truth was

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on the school. for example, since UOP is a 3 yr school, they feel that the curriculum is much more intense (which i am sure it is!) and therefore, they look primarily at DAT as an indication of your ability. Other schools will look to GPA, undergrad school, coursework, dental exposure, interview, etc, if DAT is weak. I think the rule pretty much is, if you have a weak GPA, try to have strong DAT, if you have weak DAT, try to have strong GPA. I think for all schools interview is important b/c you express interest in their school and they get to know you as a person and not just biographical info, GPA, DAT, and awards you listed on paper

I don't know about all schools, but University of Texas at San Antonio has a very objective, straightforward calculation they use. You can find their website via ADA, education links. They have the objective component score formula listed in the FAQ (or similar) section under admissions. Hope that helps!!