How do the GS CBT Bio sections hold up against the real thing??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicboy188

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got access to them and im thinking of using them as prep. i have access to the kaplan sectionals, but it really dont like that it gives you a percentage and no scaled score.

anyone have an opinion on these?

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The GS BS section is relatively similar to AAMC, its okay practice IMHO. My one complaint is that there is some pretty bad wording on questions a few times per test which sucks.

i just took one last night, and i wasnt too pleased with the amount of typos there were in the question stems. made me seriously consider if a question stem meant 'protein' instead of 'proton' which was kinda annoying.

also, there was a few orgo topics (benzene chemistry) that are no longer on the aamc list of topics.

hmmmmmmmm

the practice sessions should be looked at as something to prepare with, not as something that is indicative of how you will do on the actual exam.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember those, typo is the least thing that bothered me. It has a few wrong answers (I think they've been corrected) and a number of questionable problems. I was pretty disappointed with them. I couldn't take them seriously and I stopped after GS6. I felt like I was wasting my time.

My advice, just do the AAMCs and if you are desperate, do EK practices but they don't have CBT version, only 3 long paper exams.

Well, if you overlook the very questionable wording and some questionable answer choices, the one benefit the Gold Standard BS and PS sections do offer is that they present the material in a different way--this is good! IMHO the more angles you can approach a specific type of problem, the better off you are!

just got access to them and im thinking of using them as prep. i have access to the kaplan sectionals, but it really dont like that it gives you a percentage and no scaled score.

anyone have an opinion on these?

thanks in advance.

My only complaint is that the GS verbal questions are too easy, and completely unrepresentative of the real thing.Their science sections were a great help, but don't expect the real test to feel like the GSs. For one, the passages were about three times longer and also required about 5 times more reasoning analysis.

The real MCAT is more passage based, I'd say about half of GS Bio is similar to the real test.

Tests 7-9 (and 10) are much harder. try doing those first.