How do Withdrawals look on transcripts???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbmason

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing some post-bac work right now to get into dental school and am currently taking 12 credits, but want to drop a class and it will show up as a W. I don't know why I even registered for the class in the first place because it is more an ecology class than one that would help me in dental school and right now it is extremely boring and difficult. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an OFFICAL withdrawal "W" on my record, vs. an UNOFFICAL withdrawal "UW". Unofficial is basically due to the fact that you just stopped going, and doing tests etc.

For my official withdrawal I had appendicitis and knee surgery in the same semester, and surgery/recovery for both fell on test days. The professor wouldn't let me make it up, so I got a note from my doctors and received an official withdrawal. According to my councilor they cannot assume anything, either positive or negative with an official withdrawal. It could be something like being in the reserves and having to go to Iraq, or your parents died, or any number of very legitimate things, and the dental school (or whoever)legally cannot question it.

However, an audit, or an unofficial withdrawal is considered an "F", and is according to AADSAS. Once again, according to my councilor, this has been argued in court, and the schools have won. I have both a W, and UW on my record.

On my AADSAS GPA the W doesn't contribute to, or hurt it(however it may not make an influence in my interview or whatever, they may question it), and the UW translates into a fail.

Thanks for your input, anyone else have any Ws on their transcripts and got into dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If what little billy jones says is correct then I am up sh!+ creek. I have 6 W's on my transcipts. I'm really not that worried because I am prepared to tell them why I withdrew, albeit not for any solid reasons except that I forgot about the class. And one or two I meant to drop but simply did not do before the deadline.

Somehow I highly doubt that a W is the same as as a fail.

I have a couple Ws as well and they arent like an F by anymeans since I have one of those as well.

A couple of W's shows your a human and u make mistakes which is ok. But if you are a repeat offender every quarter, this can be an indicator of your work ethic and how much in terms of work load you can handle. I had 2 W's and i was never questioned about it.

I apologize for not being more clear.
An OFFICIAL Withdrawal "W" is NOT considered a fail, it is the UNOFFICIAL withdrawal "UW" that is considered a fail. If you can prove to your school that you have a legitimate reason for needing to withdraw sometime past the drop date, and they aprove it, they will give you an official, school approved withdrawal, and AADSAS does not consider it in your GPA. Unofficial simply means you decided to stop attending class without any real reason and without aproval from the school, and it IS considered a fail according to AADSAS.

Just as an additional note, the "UW" is give to students only if they DID NOT DO TESTS OR ASSIGNMENTS, those students who did all the tests and/or assignments, but failed them will receive an "F"

Has anyone been questioned or had to explain the W's that they have?

If there is a good reason it is fine

But if not... it seems as if one tried to avoid an F or a D...

I only have one W, and it's because I changed majors and didn't need the class anymore. Arizona State University College of Engineering and Applied Sciences Harrington Department of Bioengineering = :thumbdown:

im thinking about dropping a prereq class that i have to commute an 1hr each way for and taking the class next semester at my own school. how bad would this look?

well, i mean it would be my first W. do d schools look down on this? im worried, and the deadline is tomorrow.

Why don't you ask the school how a W looks like in your transcript. Sometimes they have different ways of writing it. For example, some schools might put in down as WP (passing when you withdraw).

W's on the transcript never look good. However, fortunately, they don't get tabulated into your GPA. You can explain to schools though why you withdrew and your reasoning (ie, you don't see the class as relevant) does not seem illogical.