how do you abbreviate "pharmacist"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iphetamine

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Physicians have doctor abbreviated to Dr. xxx, what do we have? Ph.? Pharm.?

Members don't see this ad.

i typically see RPh in the retail setting. This should shift over to PharmD once more post-2000 graduates really populate the ranks.

The funky distinction is that "RPh" is bestowed by the state you practice in whereas "PharmD" is the degree you got, and there are still plenty of pharmacists who are BS Pharm. MD's/DO's don't necessarily have that distinction.

So yeah...depends on your setting and who you work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well ya, MD, PharmD, and RPh are after the name but what do we put before the name??

Registered Pharmacy Technicians in Ontario can now put RPhT after their names. We use RPh, BScPhm/PharmD up here too. :)

Well ya, MD, PharmD, and RPh are after the name but what do we put before the name??

lol, i read the question wrong.

doctor is always Dr. Just seeing things here and there I rarely see "Dr." before the physicians name now. Just [[name]], MD or [[name]], PharmD.

Which makes sense... someone with a doctorate in earth sciences is Dr. so-and-so, same for anyone else with a doctor. Exception is the JD but this is because they simply changed the name of the LLB degree to JD to indicate the highest level of law (some schools still award a law bachelor's).

Anyway, easy answer... depends on your surroundings. The PharmD is only ~8 years old, obviously there will be issues when you encounter, well...old people.

Wow this thread is borderline "OMG are are are are pharmacists DOCTORS too??!?!?" hahah

Last edited:
I don't see anyone put anything in front of their name.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the first PharmDs were graduated in the 50s or 60s i think somewhere in california actually

Ask OldTimer if he knows of any good places!

I got my fill last week in San Diego :)

Ugh, don't remind me about SD =( I've already plotted my trip to SD once I get back to CA for the holidays.

Old Timer would probably just point me to the packaged food section at his CVS. har har har.

I think we should push for something cool like DRx, or RXD instead of PharmD.

That's latin though. It means "take thus" or something.

Yeah true, but also Rx in the modern sense means prescription whereas pharmacy is more inclusive of what the profession does.

So, in short, being "doctors of a piece of paper written by a physician/PA/NP" is a stupid idea.

It's Dr. That's all. :laugh: You've never seen the Dr. in front of a Pharmacist's name?

It's Dr. That's all. :laugh: You've never seen the Dr. in front of a Pharmacist's name?
no, never.

i asked because i have friends, who are in med school and arleady doctors, their domain name/site as drxxx.com or dr.xxx.com so i thought what if i want to do something like that, pharmacistxxxx.com would be too long, don't you think?
maybe phxxx.com could work?

:D

Pharmacy DOCTORATE.....
hence, DR. [name here], PharmD

Don't any of you refer to all of your professors as Dr. Professor? At school they all call each other Dr. So-and-so even if they just have PharmD + teaching degree (or whatever). They even refer to the P4s as Dr. Soon-to-be-Pharmacist. Is my school the only one that does this?

4th year? wow, that's weird.

But we do refer to everyone as "Dr." so-and-so. It's strange because I'm about the same age as some of the residents from the hospital, so when they work with us, it's so tempting to call them by 1st name. They even refer to the other residents by 1st name and have to correct themselves when they're around us, haha.

We have one BSPharm on the admin staff side and she's a "Mrs."

Why would you need the title in front of your name? My dad doesn't go around saying he's Accountant Bob and I don't call the bank teller Bank Teller Sue. I've never heard a pharmacist being called Pharmacist Joe instead of just Joe. Sure, they might sign something as Joe Smith, RPH or Joe Smith, Pharm. D. just like a doctor would write MD. But pharmacist is not used as an honorary prefix like Dr. is.

durr nevermind, haha...i should rephrase, the PharmD in its current iteration as the first-professional pharmacy degree has been around since 2000.

Get it right. That was 1990. And the first 6 year Doctor of Pharmacy degree was created in 1950 by no other than University of Southern California.

This is a small piece of our history we all should know.

btw, who gives a chit how we're called or how druggist is abbreviated.

Get it right. That was 1990. And the first 6 year Doctor of Pharmacy degree was created in 1950 by no other than University of Southern California.

This is a small piece of our history we all should know.

I recall reading that the policy was implemented in 1990 but fully executed in 2000, was this not the case?

I recall reading that the policy was implemented in 1990 but fully executed in 2000, was this not the case?

Yes, but that's not what you said. You said,

the PharmD in its current iteration as the first-professional pharmacy degree has been around since 2000.

No, it's been around since 1990 and it was talked about even before that...it took a while for all schools to convert to Pharm.D. And there were many schools who were converting in the 90's. And there have been some schools who completely did away with BSPharm even before the 90's. Around Year 2000 just happens to be the deadline for schools to implement all Pharm.D curriculum.

Just face it, to the public and physicians, we're b!tches. ;)

As for faculty, sure we call them Dr.; calling them doctor is as much a sign of respect as a professor as any degree(s) they hold. Or at least in theory that's the case.

No, it's been around since 1990 and it was talked about even before that...it took a while for all schools to convert to Pharm.D. And there were many schools who were converting in the 90's. And there have been some schools who completely did away with BSPharm even before the 90's. Around Year 2000 just happens to be the deadline for schools to implement all Pharm.D curriculum.

ok, so change "around" to "fully implemented," my bad. I think I was still watching cartoons in the early 90's. :hardy:

But for the schools that changed from BSPharm to PharmD before 1990, was this considered to be the "first professional" degree or was it a full on "top of the stack" type graduate degree? Can't think of the word to describe it. I'm kind of curious now as I recall reading criticism about the switch from existing PharmD holders that this was "dumbing down" their degree.