How do you address a PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valadi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I try to use formal titles when addressing people in the hospital (eg, Nurse Roberts, Dr. Cox), but I'm at a loss for how to address PAs? Is it Mr./Ms./Mrs. or is there something else I can use?

Just curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You say "Nurse Roberts?"
Really??

Address them however they introduced themselves to you...Like, by their first name.

Try a P.O. Box. If all else fails, ask them for their residential address.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr/Ms/MRS etc in front of patients. First names if both of you are ok with that otherwise. "Darling" or "Honey" if pillow talk.

Mr/Ms/MRS etc in front of patients. First names if both of you are ok with that otherwise. "Darling" or "Honey" if pillow talk.

Lol. Thanks.

And yea, I really do say 'Nurse X' when I'm addressing them and we don't know each other well yet. I'm just an M4 after all. Always better to err on the side of formality than familiarity.

I'm from the west coast that is much less hung up on titles. I was also just Lisa until I moved to the southeast where patients were uncomfortable with that and my docs insisted on being called Dr So-and-So. They insisted on calling me Ms. So-and-So, or Mrs. which is worse (makes me sound like a teacher or something). Some have tried PA So-and-So or PA Lisa but those don't work well.
I did just start part-time work in a women's prison and was told NOT to use my first name with inmates but to be as formal as possible. I guess this makes sense. They do the PA Last Name thing. One of my colleagues pointed out she would rather these women NOT know her last name. She has a point ;)

I'm from the west coast that is much less hung up on titles. I was also just Lisa until I moved to the southeast where patients were uncomfortable with that and my docs insisted on being called Dr So-and-So. They insisted on calling me Ms. So-and-So, or Mrs. which is worse (makes me sound like a teacher or something). Some have tried PA So-and-So or PA Lisa but those don't work well.
I did just start part-time work in a women's prison and was told NOT to use my first name with inmates but to be as formal as possible. I guess this makes sense. They do the PA Last Name thing. One of my colleagues pointed out she would rather these women NOT know her last name. She has a point ;)

In prison just tell them to call you, "Boss."

I try to use formal titles when addressing people in the hospital (eg, Nurse Roberts, Dr. Cox), but I'm at a loss for how to address PAs? Is it Mr./Ms./Mrs. or is there something else I can use?!

I'd ask them what they want to be called, personally.

Try a P.O. Box. If all else fails, ask them for their residential address.
picture.php

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

It's hard to know.

I usually start by, "Hi, are you Dr. X's PA or NP?" or "Are you the neuro PA?" or "Are you taking care of this patient by chance?"

They usually say, "ya, what's up"

And I move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at a place that insisted on calling the NPs by title and last name. "Nurse Practitioner Smith." They were really hung up on it, and no one ever used their first name at all. I thought it was dumb. I took a job where everyone uses their first name. Pts call to make appointments and it has to be clarified who they mean, lol. do you want to see David A, the nurse, (for immunizations, depo shots, etc) or David B, the physician? Thankfully, I'm the only Chilly. ;)

I address PAs with Mr/Mrs. Last name and RN/NP with Nurse. Last name at work at all time. First name basis outside the hospital

Just curious -- where do you all live where you would address a nurse/PA by "nurse (last name) or Mr./Mrs. _____ ?

I've worked in a couple hospitals and I would never even think to address a nurse or PA by anything other than their first name, even in front of a patient, and I've never seen anyone else do this. Of course with physicians it is always Dr. _____.

I'm wondering if this is maybe more of a southern vs. northern thing or something.

Just curious -- where do you all live where you would address a nurse/PA by "nurse (last name) or Mr./Mrs. _____ ?

I've worked in a couple hospitals and I would never even think to address a nurse or PA by anything other than their first name, even in front of a patient, and I've never seen anyone else do this. Of course with physicians it is always Dr. _____.

I'm wondering if this is maybe more of a southern vs. northern thing or something.

I address everyone older than me by title/last name until they invite me to call them by first name. Even the janitorial staff. I think it's a product of my home culture (both my parents are foreign born) rather than a hospital-specific thing.

Well, I'm in the South, but I don't think that's it.

I think it's more of an individual thing. In the past, some of the older docs I've worked with always called their nurses "Ms./Mrs." while the rest of us used their first names. One of them did it so frequently (even in conversation) that I wasn't always sure who they were talking about, as I didn't know everybody's last name. Annoying.

As an aside, I still refer to a lot of the doctors I trained under as "Dr. so-and-so" (to their face, even), despite the fact that I've been out of residency for over a decade. It takes extra effort to call them by their first name. Old habits die hard.

NYC metro area

Depends on your comfort level, and what the other person wants.....

I am a PA, and I have a research doctorate. I always just go by my first name in any setting. If I am addressed as "Dr" in the clinical setting, I usually simply correct it and move on. If it is in the research, education, or health policy settings, I will go by Dr. if someone addresses me as that, but otherwise it's just Mike.

Actually, unless it is in front of a patient, I haven't addressed a physician as "Dr" in longer than I can remember.

We are a team. We need to work together, and nothing hinders good teamwork faster than unnecessary friction caused by ego or whatever you want to call it.

I am a PA, and I have a research doctorate. I always just go by my first name in any setting. If I am addressed as "Dr" in the clinical setting, I usually simply correct it and move on. If it is in the research, education, or health policy settings, I will go by Dr. if someone addresses me as that, but otherwise it's just Mike.

Actually, unless it is in front of a patient, I haven't addressed a physician as "Dr" in longer than I can remember.

We are a team. We need to work together, and nothing hinders good teamwork faster than unnecessary friction caused by ego or whatever you want to call it.

Dr. Mike tells it like it is.

ITA with everything physasst said here. We are very team oriented where I work too, and all team members are treated as equals. Titles are unimportant and rarely used.