How do you afford living during DPT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8MoreReps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I probably can't live with parents since I will be about 26-27 by the time I get into a program and am wondering how I can afford to live on my own during the 3 years full time school? Do you just take out tons of loans? How do you guys plan on doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Invest in a piece of real estate near the school you're accepted to. Rent out the rooms to cover costs. You probably won't turn a profit but you could at least save yourself some if not all rent costs and at the end you would own a place to either use for yourself or rent out as you move on to wherever you choose to work.

I had a friend that managed to get through Med School via Options Trading. He wasn't a trust fund kid or anything either just started with a little and did well. He also made a successful blog tracking it all which he was also able to get some advertising revenue from. Unfortunately his girl got pregnant so then the blog sorta fell apart and he slowly lost touch with me. Wish I could pick his brains some more on the whole Options Trading.

The majority of the people rely on loans and financial aid.

One way to reduce housing costs in addition to the loans is to be a TA at the school you're in.

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of the people rely on loans and financial aid.

One way to reduce housing costs in addition to the loans is to be a TA at the school you're in.

Pretty much this! If you can find a cheap place with multiple roommates then that can certainly offset costs too. It's the unfortunate nature of the beast unless you have someone funding your education or have saved aggressively for this process.

Do some people not work at all during school? And if you do work how many hours do you think is doable?

Who says you can't live with your parents because your 27? Unless its your parents say you can't... lol I'm 27, just moved back home. And I won't be getting into grad school for a couple of years! I know its kind of sad. But it will save me a lot of money, even if its just for a few months before I get my own place again. And statistics say 85% of college grads move back in with their folks after graduation!

Who says you can't live with your parents because your 27? Unless its your parents say you can't... lol I'm 27, just moved back home. And I won't be getting into grad school for a couple of years! I know its kind of sad. But it will save me a lot of money, even if its just for a few months before I get my own place again. And statistics say 85% of college grads move back in with their folks after graduation!
Yes exactly!
More and more grads are moving back in with their parents. It really is nothing to be ashamed of. You're not a loser if you live with your parents. People might make you feel that way, but who cares what they think. I think it is a great advantage if you can live with your parents and pretty smart and I'm sure most parents would want their children to save $ by living with them. If you can live with your parents, I say do it. It beats the alternative of living off loans and eating ramen noodles.

And there are people that are already DONE with grad school, STILL living at home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/13/college-graduates-moving-home-debt_n_861849.html

We live in a brave new world, people. Graduate/Professional school, if education is the route you choose to take in order to get ahead, is often a necessity now. Anything you can do to offset the costs of your education(including living with mom/pop) should be strongly considered. Moving out on your own is all well and good, but don't let pride or your perception of people's opinion of you dictate these decisions. If mom and dad offer you 3 hots and a cot(provided there aren't mitigating circumstances preventing it); RUN don't walk home!

I'm 26 and just moved out about two months ap... I miss my mommy!!! :p

Honestly, if you can live at home do it! I am collecting unemployment ad my SO works full time (with a good paying job) so we are able to afford our modest 2-bedroom house :)

Do some people not work at all during school? And if you do work how many hours do you think is doable?

To answer your question, in my program, nobody works. They "highly discourage" us from getting a job. There are a few exceptions, such as being a TA for a lower level PT course, or doing some personal training on the side if you are certified. We are are at school 6-8 hours a day, and studying when we aren't in classes. We usually only have time for about 1 or 2 hours a day to go to the gym/cook, and the rest of the time is spent on school. It wouldn't really be possible to maintain a job. Everyone in my program just lives off of loans or are supported by a spouse. There are 3 or 4 students in my class that live at home with their parents to save money and everyone else is jealous of them! :laugh:

We have one person who works full-time, I don't know how he does it; usually his shifts are from 3-11pm because we are done with school by 2:30 every day... I think he's crazy, personally.

We have another student who is a PTA so she works all day on Fridays (because we don't have classes on Fridays this semester) and sometimes on Saturdays.

Other than that, there are only 1-2 other people who work very, very part-time (as in maybe once every couple weeks) at bars/restaurants.