how do you answer correctly: "tell us about yourself"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haptic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten this only one time from about 15 interviews (at three places) but I just got an email from casey saying that was always their first question so be prepared. As Iserson says, this is the mother of all open-ended question...any ideas about how to approach it for ophthalmology?

Members don't see this ad.

To start....answer truthfully....this will get you in to a program that will fit well for both you and your program...
Second, like your personal statement should have already done....try and "subtely" highlight some of your good attributes while telling them about yourself...
Watch your interviewer for non-verbal and verbal clues as to how much or how little to say. If they interrupt to ask you a question, let them and answer their question and let the subsequent conversation flow like you would with a friend. It is a very open ended question, I got it more than once, so you should be somewhat prepared to answer it. But, be flexible each time you answer it, as the conversation will go different directions every time.
Good luck

there is no "correct" answer. the only way to "correctly" answer this question is to be honest. rehearsing it in your head can be helpful, but don't just answer questions by telling them what you think they want to hear, or worse yet, what we tell you they want to hear. the purpose of this question is to find out more about you, not why you want to be an ophthalmologist. hopefully, you already answered that question in your personal statement.

I've gotten this only one time from about 15 interviews (at three places) but I just got an email from casey saying that was always their first question so be prepared. As Iserson says, this is the mother of all open-ended question...any ideas about how to approach it for ophthalmology?

EDIT

Used the search function to find the thread, was in the wrong forum