How do you deal w/this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Every student on every exam: Do we need to know doses?

My mind thinking what I hoped the professor would say: Yes, you ****ing *****, you are studying to be a Pharmacist for ****s sake, who else do you expect to know them?

Oh, that has to be a classic.

Well, good thing we weren't in the same class...I think the accumulated annoyance would've gotten us both in trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, that has to be a classic.

Well, good thing we weren't in the same class...I think the accumulated annoyance would've gotten us both in trouble.

I think some of my classmates were like that, too. I'm not entirely sure, I only went when they made me. What amazes me is how much MORE receptive I am to actually learning stuff after I graduated than while I was in school. I think it's just that I want to specifically not be told what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh damn. a good argument thread and I wasn't here to take part in it. oh well. maybe next time! I'm sure ya'll missed my important opinions!

Oh damn. a good argument thread and I wasn't here to take part in it. oh well. maybe next time! I'm sure ya'll missed my important opinions!

Ahhh you didn't miss anything....same ole stuff.....

- Priapism321, who has been a pharmacist for like 5 minutes, talking as if he were a 20 year veteran

- Oldtimer...well being old

- Students....well being students

.....about as stimiulating as the should pharmacists use the title Dr. or not.

Did I see the return of Z-pack/Epic? Where the heck have you been?!?!?!

wouldn't you be practicing outside of the hours that your pharmacy is registered to practice? Suppose they were controlled-substance scripts, and for whatever the reason, one of them was forged and got past you. Then they'd have you filling these scripts after-hours when the shift-workers/techs have already clocked out. It opens up a whole new level of liability if you make a mistake during after-hours (for any Rx), than when the pharmacy is in-session and well-staffed. We reopened the pharmacy once after we had already closed and walked to our cars, when a little kid ran out of his albuterol inhaler needed a refill. Your job is to ensure proper care to a certain extent. I'd like to see a bank reopen after closing because a customer needs more money.

Last edited:
I think some of my classmates were like that, too. I'm not entirely sure, I only went when they made me. What amazes me is how much MORE receptive I am to actually learning stuff after I graduated than while I was in school. I think it's just that I want to specifically not be told what to do.

Did someone force you to become a pharmacist too though? After a while, you've got to realize that this is your decision. Own up to it, and get rid of the "someone's forcing me" mentality...because you can always fall for that trap, even if you're out of school.

You've got it in you to be great at this...so stop fighting/making excuses, and do it!

Unfortunately, he won't answer this question, because he doesn't have a clue about retail.

28 weeks. That time period provided all the clues necessary.

28 weeks. That time period provided all the clues necessary.
Necessary for what? For you to be an expert? I don't think so.

Geez. Were you even around when the pharmacy was closing or was it a 9-5 fill job like all of the other P4 students?

Necessary for what? For you to be an expert? I don't think so.

Geez. Were you even around when the pharmacy was closing or was it a 9-5 fill job like all of the other P4 students?

Necessary to know I needed to run like hell away from that area of pharmacy. Met too many people like the ones posting on this thread. 24 hour store, much more involved than simply tech-work, but the observational data was highly valuable.

How often do you ask the professor if you need to know doses for an exam? I guarantee you are one of those....

Members don't see this ad :)
Did someone force you to become a pharmacist too though? After a while, you've got to realize that this is your decision. Own up to it, and get rid of the "someone's forcing me" mentality...because you can always fall for that trap, even if you're out of school.

You've got it in you to be great at this...so stop fighting/making excuses, and do it!

Yeah...like the little tag to the left reads, I'm a Scots-Irish Appalachian. We don't work like that. Fearless defiance and an almost fatalist realism is in our blood. Don't worry though, you just have me misunderstood. You have to see things in said fearlessly defiant and realist world view to get me.

See, before I was paying people to teach me things that would allow me to enter the profession. Several times I felt that the product was shoddy or sub-par. However, I am not allowed to complain, speak my mind, or tell them anything that resembles the truth. I told them the truth a few times before...didn't seem to ever work out too well. They would just get mad at me and call me insubordinate. That's because the truth isn't what people want anymore. The only thing you learn in Rx school seemed to be how to kiss ass and how to tell white lies that make professors and other various academics feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But during the course of school I was, quite literally, forced to do **** that had no point. But that's academia. It is patently absurd. You pay people to torture you and make you be subordinate to them.

Right now is different. I am employed. I can walk away whenever I want and all, but like every WV boy's daddy says, if a man pays you to do a job, honor and respect it like you honor and respect your family. (And that's something I do take seriously, as does any other born and bred S-I hilljack. I have always been rated exemplary when I'm actually paid to do a job and I'm rather proud of that fact.)

As such, a man (or hospital, whatever) is paying me to do an honest days work and I certainly plan on fulfilling that. In the course of which, I must learn several things....and, again, I'm being paid to do it, so I am actually quite eager to jump in. But I'm talking a starting wage a tad less than 4 times what my parents ever made in a year, mind you....so I don't even want to think about complaining about having to do what's asked of me. ****, man, I've got it made. Hell, my greatgranddaddy Frazier was crushed to death in a coal mine. All I got to do is push some paper and use my brain a little. Only 4 days a week, too.

Bet you weren't expecting that response. Heh.

Last edited:
How often do you ask the professor if you need to know doses for an exam? I guarantee you are one of those....
I don't have to ask that question. I type dosing all day long at work. :idea:

Necessary to know I needed to run like hell away from that area of pharmacy.

You can't stand retail but yet, you think you have the authority to tell other pharmacists to stay late to dispense a non emergency product when the patients can easily get it at a 24 hour pharmacy? Common sense is not so common, even for someone who is doing a 2 year residency.

Could you not conceive a scenario where a patient has not been able to obtain their anti-hyperglycemic medications for 1-2 weeks, finally is able to see a practitioner, and receives a prescription for their meds. They show up at your pharmacy 15 minutes prior to closing, and you throw a hissy fit because you've only made $600 that day and you need to go home.

This patient is turned away, and ends up going into diabetic ketoacidosis, and then he becomes that emergency at 2am that you describe because you needed to get to the Bank of America before it closed to cash your check, rather than spend 20 extra FREE minutes to get a patient their aspart insulin or sulfonylurea, etc. It's pathetic, your failure to act like a PROFESSIONAL CAN TURN INTO AN EMERGENCY AT 2 AM.

Uhhh, no. Don't think about banking matters at all, Mr. lets-make-a-broad assumption-about-all-retail pharmacists. I have direct deposit!

By the way, you freakin' 28-week retail experience tool, I'd love to sit on my butt all day showing off my lexi-comp knowledge!! Oh boy, sign me up! Your job must be so much cooler than that of your colleagues.

I'm unimpressed, drama king.

Oh, and it's finally getting good. :( I can't decide whether or not I should sign out of this hotel's WiFi connection and play in the sand while watching the sun set on the beach. Decisions, decisions... :p

I must admit, I have met some very passionate and knowledgeable retail pharmacists in my career. This one independent I worked at was a good example. The owner-pharmacist knew his patients and their individual health problems so well that he could look at a patient and instantly recall what they are taking and what type of recent medical concerns they've had WITHOUT looking at a profile. Not to mention the fact that'd he'd ask how their wives/kids were doing by name. And I'm talking 300 scripts/day. He'd counsel every person because that's just how he was. And each time he counseled, he got the low down on new medical concerns. He also had a professional compounding center and knew how to make it seemed like anything off of the top of his head. That cat was talented as hell. I challenge anyone to show me a more dedicated practitioner of pharmacy anywhere.

Uhhh, no. Don't think about banking matters at all, Mr. lets-make-a-broad assumption-about-all-retail pharmacists. I have direct deposit!

By the way, you freakin' 28-week retail experience tool, I'd love to sit on my butt all day showing off my lexi-comp knowledge!! Oh boy, sign me up! Your job must be so much cooler than that of your colleagues.

All you do here is count by fives....all you do there is memorize guidelines....you can pigeonhole your way through anything, really.

See my previous posts on the use of personal digital assistants. You will then know that I have never used lexi-comp. And, I actually stand most of the day, but you are correct as well, I do have an office with a very comfortable chair.

And, I can always get your job with my 28 weeks experience (28 weeks longer than necessary to get it actually) if I ever get a desire to see how it is down in the trenches again, but don't count on it. Not sure you can say the same.

I must admit, I have met some very passionate and knowledgeable retail pharmacists in my career. This one independent I worked at was a good example. The owner-pharmacist knew his patients and their individual health problems so well that he could look at a patient and instantly recall what they are taking and what type of recent medical concerns they've had WITHOUT looking at a profile. Not to mention the fact that'd he'd ask how their wives/kids were doing by name. And I'm talking 300 scripts/day. He'd counsel every person because that's just how he was. And each time he counseled, he got the low down on new medical concerns. He also had a professional compounding center and knew how to make it seemed like anything off of the top of his head. That cat was talented as hell. I challenge anyone to show me a more dedicated practitioner of pharmacy anywhere.

Unfortunately, the gentleman you speak of is becoming rarer and rarer, taking a back seat to the whiny little bitches who are in it for the paycheck and simply punch the clock with no sense of duty to the public at all. And, you can check my previous posts, where I have mentioned some damn good retail pharmacists that I have came across during my 5 minutes in this profession; very reminiscent to what you describe above.

You can't stand retail but yet, you think you have the authority to tell other pharmacists to stay late to dispense a non emergency product when the patients can easily get it at a 24 hour pharmacy? Common sense is not so common, even for someone who is doing a 2 year residency.

I have not once mentioned anything regarding non-emergent medications, it is the principle of working until the job is done, and this principle should be largely enhanced as someone who is providing medications to the public.

As a teenager, I worked at a restaurant that closed at 10:00, and guess what, if a 4-top walked in at 9:58, they were eating damn it. If ovens were off and fryers were shut down, they were turned back on. And, don't give me the "well, you were getting paid while they ate" bull****, Pharmacists are paid very nicely, and as a matter of fact, the manager of the restaurant was not being paid hourly, she was a professional who didn't punch the time clock. It was their job to make sure if someone showed up and wanted crab legs, and they entered the building during hours of operation, they were getting the same quality crab legs as if they walked in during the middle of the day.

You would think so called health care professionals would operate with at least the same sort of work ethic as a "burger flipper/crab leg steamer."

Unfortunately, the gentleman you speak of is becoming rarer and rarer, taking a back seat to the whiny little bitches who are in it for the paycheck and simply punch the clock with no sense of duty to the public at all. And, you can check my previous posts, where I have mentioned some damn good retail pharmacists that I have came across during my 5 minutes in this profession; very reminiscent to what you describe above.

It's not the professionals, it's the profession. It has been ruined by faceless corporations. They have sterilized the entire practice area. See how long that pharmacist would last at CVS. They'd tell him to stop counseling so much and to forget about compunding. This is why it should be illegal for anyone to control higher than a certain amount of pharmacy business in a state. And, really, there is one heck of a case to be made, too. It's obvious that the "money-first" model of patient care is not optimal. As such, the profession is controlled by businessmen, not professionals. There is so much potential in retail pharmacy that it is astounding. These corporations get ahold of people, make the job literally as easy and idiot proof as possible, and take the essence of decades of pharmacists' history and tradition out of the equation. It's disgusting.

If a retail pharmacist was able and encouraged by the powers that be to perform up to the standard of practice that is POSSIBLE, it would be more clinically oriented and much, much more difficult than any sort of acute care/institutional type of practice. Just think off all the things such a professional would have to have a grasp on at a moderately high level. Kinda mind boggling.

That fellow is actually only in his early 40s, too. He's got 20 or so years left in him. Truly a man I look up to. Hopefully the day in which pharmacists handle outpatient medication management will arrive. That is what we as a profession are beating around the bush about.

It's not the professionals, it's the profession. It has been ruined by faceless corporations. They have sterilized the entire practice area. See how long that pharmacist would last at CVS. They'd tell him to stop counseling so much and to forget about compunding. This is why it should be illegal for anyone to control higher than a certain amount of pharmacy business in a state. And, really, there is one heck of a case to be made, too. It's obvious that the "money-first" model of patient care is not optimal. As such, the profession is controlled by businessmen, not professionals. There is so much potential in retail pharmacy that it is astounding. These corporations get ahold of people, make the job literally as easy and idiot proof as possible, and take the essence of decades of pharmacists' history and tradition out of the equation. It's disgusting.

If a retail pharmacist was able and encouraged by the powers that be to perform up to the standard of practice that is POSSIBLE, it would be more clinically oriented and much, much more difficult than any sort of acute care/institutional type of practice. Just think off all the things such a professional would have to have a grasp on at a moderately high level. Kinda mind boggling.

That fellow is actually only in his early 40s, too. He's got 20 or so years left in him. Truly a man I look up to. Hopefully the day in which pharmacists handle outpatient medication management will arrive. That is what we as a profession are beating around the bush about.

WVU as my voice of reason, huh? Heads must be exploding somewhere off in the SDN universe.

I have not once mentioned anything regarding non-emergent medications, it is the principle of working until the job is done, and this principle should be largely enhanced as someone who is providing medications to the public.

This is a quote from you:

You make no point. If the patient considers YOU THEIR PHARMACIST, it does not matter how easy they can walk down the street, THEY TRUST YOU, AND WANT YOU TO TAKE CARE OF THEM. If they are in need, YOU DO IT, it does not matter if you work even 60 MINUTES FOR FREE

So if a patient is in need of a non-emergency drug like hydrocortisone 2% cream after the pharmacy has closed, do you fill it or not? Either you live by your so called work ethic and fill the non emergency prescription or you don't. You can't have it both ways. It is that straight forward.

And please, stop talking about being a professional. You of all people have shown little respect for anybody who disagree with you. So get off your high horse and use your common sense.

Oh lord.. to fill or not to fill... if that's the issue... just quit it.

Delete thread!

You have to make a judgment about the necessity of having the prescriptions now. If the patient needs the medication now, e.g. hospital discharge or ER scripts or whatever, you stay until 8PM if you have to. You are a health professional who is highly compensated, not a minimum wage burger flipper whose shift has ended. If the script is a refill of their HCTZ, give them one no charge for the morning and have them come back....

I wish I was treated as well as a burger flipper by the customers. I can't get paid enough to take abuse all day long.

What? 10 min. why so long?
What do you mean my insurance doesn't cover it?
I'm not paying for that.
How much?
Why isn't it ready yet?
You have to order it every time.
Close for lunch? I've never heard of such a thing, you should eat before you come to work.
Medicaid, oops forgot my dollar.
People tapping on glass partition.

Me: dead of a stress induced heart attack in 15yrs. but at least I gave it my all to get those emergency scripts filled. Forget it buddy, my time is only once here on earth and it won't be spent OT for free or otherwise.

Now, maybe if we got the respect we deserve and weren't treated like burger flippers things might be different, but not for me life's too precious.

This is a quote from you:

So if a patient is in need of a non-emergency drug like hydrocortisone 2% cream after the pharmacy has closed, do you fill it or not? Either you live by your so called work ethic and fill the non emergency prescription or you don't. You can't have it both ways. It is that straight forward.

And please, stop talking about being a professional. You of all people have shown little respect for anybody who disagree with you. So get off your high horse and use your common sense.

I'd fill it. And how did my quote indicate anything regarding emergent/non-emergent medications?

See my previous posts on the use of personal digital assistants. You will then know that I have never used lexi-comp. And, I actually stand most of the day, but you are correct as well, I do have an office with a very comfortable chair.

You didn't grasp my point. Anyone can look up info in your job using any reference. I, nor do other retail pharmacists (who are seasoned, experienced, and clinically trained) just stand stand there like pylons all day, refusing to counsel patients, etc. While you're busy spouting all the clinical pearls that make you feel your manhood, the RPh's in the "trenches" are diagnosing viral meningitis, gangrenous diabetic ulcers, fifth disease, conjunctivitis, pyoderma, etc. When was the last time you did this? I would venture to guess...never. Oh, I get it. Unless you're an RPh whose head is permanently attached to some many-titled MD's rectum in a big-name hospital in a big-name clinical trial that means nothing to joe blow in the street needing a recommendation for athlete's foot...you have no value!

And, I can always get your job with my 28 weeks experience (28 weeks longer than necessary to get it actually) if I ever get a desire to see how it is down in the trenches again, but don't count on it. Not sure you can say the same.

Wow. You are a sanctimonius tool. It's such a pleasure having a colleague like you! Please go and teach the new generation of pharmacy students.

Isn't there a vacation thread or something like that? I thought we were talking about retail pharmacy? A lot of students are interested in the kind of nitty-gritty stuff that we were talking about.

I think the troll came back. The junk within this forum was completely cleared up, but unfortunately, it's back. :rolleyes:

Oy vey. There's no need to get nasty guys...

Funny how we can get all worked up and animated amongst each other, but if it comes down to working together for the profession's sake, it all goes out the window.

... but if it comes down to working together for the profession's sake, it all goes out the window.

Exactly my point. If pharmacists ACTUALLY got together and said "NO" to corporations taking away our profession, retail pharmacy would not be viewed by the public as another McDonald-like franchise. We would be viewed as...drumroll please...professionals!

Instead, we have factions of pharmacists all claiming to be something else...
I honestly don't know why I attend my state pharmacy association's meetings. No one gives a damn. United we stand, divided...we will eventually fall.

I'm real sick and tired of pharmacists bashing each other. Guess what? Regardless of what practice avenue you take, everyone who graduates from pharmacy school is a pharmacist. Bashing different practice avenues is bad form and shows a lack of maturity, security, perspective, and professionalism.

Last edited:
Wow. You are a sanctimonius tool. It's such a pleasure having a colleague like you! Please go and teach the new generation of pharmacy students.

Sanctimonious. That is one I haven't been called yet, although you spelled it incorrectly chief.

Exactly my point. If pharmacists ACTUALLY got together and said "NO" to corporations taking away our profession, retail pharmacy would not be viewed by the public as another McDonald-like franchise. We would be viewed as...drumroll please...professionals!

Instead, we have factions of pharmacists all claiming to be something else...
I honestly don't know why I attend my state pharmacy association's meetings. No one gives a damn. United we stand, divided...we will eventually fall.

You people make up 70%+ of the profession, STAND UP brother.

:corny::corny:

Geez, I am going to stop going on vacation, I miss too much!!!!

Sanctimonious. That is one I haven't been called yet, although you spelled it incorrectly chief.

Thanks, pal! What spiffy reference did ya use??????:love:

I wish I was treated as well as a burger flipper by the customers. I can't get paid enough to take abuse all day long.

What? 10 min. why so long?
What do you mean my insurance doesn't cover it?
I'm not paying for that.
How much?
Why isn't it ready yet?
You have to order it every time.
Close for lunch? I've never heard of such a thing, you should eat before you come to work.
Medicaid, oops forgot my dollar.
People tapping on glass partition.

Me: dead of a stress induced heart attack in 15yrs. but at least I gave it my all to get those emergency scripts filled. Forget it buddy, my time is only once here on earth and it won't be spent OT for free or otherwise.

Now, maybe if we got the respect we deserve and weren't treated like burger flippers things might be different, but not for me life's too precious.

If it bugs you that much, get a job in a different practice area.

You people make up 70%+ of the profession, STAND UP brother.

"You people". Hmmm.

You should stand up too. Your gluteus maximus is looking a little wide...

Ok...so then you've not been to two states?

I flew over it and waved at you. Oh, I haven't been to Alabama lately... but did spend a night in NC... flew over Iowa and saw the flood..