How do you deal w/this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gee, thanks Dad!

We are here for you...someone has to teach the little ones something....

Members don't see this ad.

No ball park of the cost. But I have the exact cost!

They charge anywhere from 75cents to $1.50 per sq ft. My area under roof measures 3,500 sq ft...since it's a 2 story house..little less than the entire sq footage. there there is a roof pitch factor of 1.3. So it ended up being around $4,500. But he said they'll take $4,000 if I paid him in cash... so why not. Will I get this money back? probably in about 5 years... but I want my house cool without having to have my AC going all day long.

We've been considering the same...

You're having it put up under the rafters as opposed to laying it over the insulation? Any particular reason why? I'm thinking it would make it easier to do work in the attic if you needed to (electrical, whatever one normally does in the attic). Are there any concerns about ventilation when you put it under the rafters?

We've been considering the same...

You're having it put up under the rafters as opposed to laying it over the insulation? Any particular reason why? I'm thinking it would make it easier to do work in the attic if you needed to (electrical, whatever one normally does in the attic). Are there any concerns about ventilation when you put it under the rafters?

If I lay it over the insulation, then My attic will still be hot and it will still affect my HVAC vents. Laying it over the insulation is desired for colder areas to keep the heat in the house wherease stapling it under the rafters benefits keeping the heat out. And I have no business in my attic really.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I lay it over the insulation, then My attic will still be hot and it will still affect my HVAC vents. Laying it over the insulation is desired for colder areas to keep the heat in the house wherease stapling it under the rafters benefits keeping the heat out. And I have no business in my attic really.

Thank you... :thumbup:

Did you price how much it would cost for the material if you did it yourself?

Yeah..about thousand bucks... but dood, I have 2 attics. And there is no way I'm going to be in there stapling this stuff for 2 days.

This will be money well spent. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah..about thousand bucks... but dood, I have 2 attics. And there is no way I'm going to be in there stapling this stuff for 2 days.

This will be money well spent. I'll keep you posted.

To save $3000 bucks I would do it myself. Start on the weekend at like midnight so it wouldn't be too hot.

To save $3000 bucks I would do it myself. Start on the weekend at like midnight so it wouldn't be too hot.

I really considered it. But it's not so much stapling this stuff....it's measuring..cutting and having to navigate through my attic with a ladder I don't want to do.

Here is 1/5 of my attic.

img0150xz7.jpg

These threads move so fast. I go away for 10 8 hours and two pages already accumulate. I miss the old arguing days. I just don't have the energy for it anymore :(

Zpacksux, are you retired? I enjoy reading his posts ;). If you have retired, have a wonderful retirement, sir.......:D:thumbup:

I really considered it. But it's not so much stapling this stuff....it's measuring..cutting and having to navigate through my attic with a ladder I don't want to do.

Here is 1/5 of my attic.

Will you post pictures after they are done?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not necessarily true. Maybe I've just been really lucky and found both the right MD and the right vet, but both of them will go outside their regular hours if necessary.

I once called my vet's office at 5 minutes before closing with an emergency with my dog. They stayed open for me to get there and treated my dog. My vet's recording after hours gives her or her partners cell phone so current clients can call if necessary. I have talked to her several times outside of her office hours.

But again, maybe I just got lucky and found the right MD and the right vet.

Ok, I am not a pharmacist yet (God willing I am accepted to school) but I am a veterinarian. And what your vet did is why I HATE being a veterinarian. People expect you to wait until the last dog gone second to bring your pet in. Emergency or did you just wait 5 days for your dog to have vomiting and diarrhea and now you decide to come in? I feel that if your pet is that important to you, then you should get to me on time. Otherwise there is an emergency clinic that opens the second I close! Just as there is a 24 hour pharmacy that is open when I close. Also...giving my personal number for after hours is a BIG HECK NO. I am not taking my work home with me. When I get home I am mother and wife...not Dr. Lewis-Taylor. I am sick and tired of people expecting me to have a bleeding heart to stay for your pet when you don't have the courtesy for my time. My children and husband are at home and would like to spend time with me as well. I don't want my ENTIRE day being given over to my patients. As one pharmacist said, if you give in to people they take advantage of you. I had a mother/daughter duo that came in FAITHFULLY at 5:50 with their two fat pig of dogs with all kinds of problems. I put on my nice FAKE smile (cause I was ALWAYS pissed that they did that to me) and I saw their dogs. I would end up staying to 7 or later. What did it get me? An attitude from them and almost cursing them out one day. I fired them as clients. So your niceness of staying open is bull and it has nothing to do with professionalism, it has to do with self respect...respect for my time and my family!

BTW I just had my son, on one of my visits to the OB/GYN it was 5 by the time I got out...there wasn't a soul left to even make me a follow up appointment. They don't play in those doctors offices and neither should we!

Oh and also those of you who put down those who are not pharmacist yet...IRRELEVANT! If you feel you should not be taken advantage of it does not matter what position you are. If you are the manager of Staples, at 9 your store is closed and you let the people know through the closed/locked doors! Yes, we as professionals are paid good...WE OUGHT TO BE...I went to school for 8 years and about to go another 4 and will be over $300,000 in debt. I need to be paid more! We are compensated for our education, not for the doormat that you all feel should be stapled to our chests for people to walk all over us!

Interesting... In this thread, we have a pharmacist-turned-veterinary-student and a veterinarian-turned-pharmacy-student.

*Knock, knock.* Loo? Are you out there? Can you do some enlightening?

Wow oh wow... despite our best efforts this thread won't die....
First of all, I just joined this site. Are you saying that only those of you who were already here can comment? Secondly,
I wanted to show that it is not only pharmacists who deal with this problem, but most professionals. Last I checked...forum meant open discussion. I don't think we are in a dictatorship. There is SOMEONES opinion that could help someone, no matter when it was posted!

First of all, I just joined this site. Are you saying that only those of you who were already here can comment? Secondly,
I wanted to show that it is not only pharmacists who deal with this problem, but most professionals. Last I checked...forum meant open discussion. I don't think we are in a dictatorship. There is SOMEONES opinion that could help someone, no matter when it was posted!
His comment wasn't personal. He's just in the anti-thread camp. That's all.

I think this thread opened up a lot of discussion about the profession as a whole, which few threads can do, so I think the thread should continue until it dies from "natural" causes. :hardy:

My opinion says Retail sux!! Ok I hope this will help someone!

:smuggrin::smuggrin:

My opinion says Retail sux!! Ok I hope this will help someone!

:smuggrin::smuggrin:

Yo Zyvox, you heard of the new folate antagonist coming down the pipeline, iclaprim? I guarantee as soon as Pharma's marketing machine brings one of these to market all of the sudden they will be break through options for MRSA infections. It appears Phase III work has already be completed.

Yo Zyvox, you heard of the new folate antagonist coming down the pipeline, iclaprim? I guarantee as soon as Pharma's marketing machine brings one of these to market all of the sudden they will be break through options for MRSA infections. It appears Phase III work has already be completed.

Dood...break through options for MRSA? Right now we have Vanco, Linezolid, Dapto, Synercid, Tygacil, and Ceftobiprole (soon to be released) that covers nosocomial MRSA and many more options for ca-MRSA. At the end of the day, I'm not scratching my head wondering how we will treat MRSA... are you?

Give me some coverage for gram negs... and VRE.

Oh..I didn't answer your question...how typical of me...more interested in what I have to say instead of addressing a question.

Yes, trimethoprim's cousin seems to have some possibilities.

At the end of the day, I'm not scratching my head wondering how we will treat MRSA... are you?

Give me some coverage for gram negs... and VRE.

I am actually wondering why the folate antagonists cannot get any love until pharma comes out with their "novel" version of a drug that has worked, does work, and will continue to work while they financially rape the american health system pushing the "novel cousin."

LOL. What receptor/enzymes does it target? If it's either dihydroperoate synthase or dihydrofolate reductase it'll give me a nice chuckle. Some day the bacteria will grow brains and the little bacteria chemists will invent leucovorin. Then we'll all be screwed. :eek:

I am actually wondering why the folate antagonists cannot get any love until pharma comes out with their "novel" version of a drug that has worked, does work, and will continue to work while they financially rape the american health system pushing the "novel cousin."

Because history tells us that Trimethoprim is little weak... Again, MRSA market is getting crowded...that's why.

I bet Novartis/Sandoz picks up Arpida..

Hell, they use bactrim for Staph all the damn time at Dub V Hospitals. You know, it's just that stigma. It's such an old ass drug, people just assume it sucks.

Because history tells us that Trimethoprim is little weak... Again, MRSA market is getting crowded...that's why.

I bet Novartis/Sandoz picks up Arpida..

Well, I am hoping the University of Washington or the Israelis can beat Pharma to the punch and make their little cousin irrelevant:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00324922?term=sulfamethoxazole&rank=1

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00427076?term=sulfamethoxazole&recr=Open&rank=6

One problem, NO SERUM VANCOMYCIN CONCENTRATION MONITORING!!! And of the Washington investigators is a Druggist. But, then again, I interviewed there, and they told me they do not monitor period.

And probably inadequate dosing of cotrimoxazole.

Hell, they use bactrim for Staph all the damn time at Dub V Hospitals. You know, it's just that stigma. It's such an old ass drug, people just assume it sucks.

For hospital acquired MRSA infections?

What a great forum. :rolleyes: All of the recent posts are completely irrelevant to the thread's topic.

Bactrim will show coverage In-vitro...doesn't mean clinical effectiveness in nosocomial MRSA. Then again, Bactrim can be useful for community acquired MRSA... which is a different bug.

Bactrim will show coverage In-vitro...doesn't mean clinical effectiveness in nosocomial MRSA. Then again, Bactrim can be useful for community acquired MRSA... which is a different bug.

Yeah...I didn't take into consideration that you were probably talking about the hospital ****. Oh well, f'n shoot me.

Well, I am hoping the University of Washington or the Israelis can beat Pharma to the punch and make their little cousin irrelevant:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00324922?term=sulfamethoxazole&rank=1

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00427076?term=sulfamethoxazole&recr=Open&rank=6

One problem, NO SERUM VANCOMYCIN CONCENTRATION MONITORING!!! And of the Washington investigators is a Druggist. But, then again, I interviewed there, and they told me they do not monitor period.

And probably inadequate dosing of cotrimoxazole.

Interesting...I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't work.

And they don't monitor levels eh? Stupid... so patient goes deaf with peak of 60ug/ml...."but we don't monitor".... what arrogance?

I guess MIC creep means nothing to them

They should go aginst Linezolid not vanco. What are they going to prove?

Hopefully the trials above will provide some insight on the clinical effectiveness. It actually has not been rigorously studied under controlled settings, although a recent CID review did provide a lot of compelling reasons to be skeptical.

Yeah...I didn't take into consideration that you were probably talking about the hospital ****. Oh well, f'n shoot me.

Nah...I know you secretly love this chit... just don't want to admit it. You might actually become a good clinician one day...either you like it or not.

This'll just pick up where it left off in the morning. Y'all are wasting your time.

They should go aginst Linezolid not vanco. What are they going to prove?

I knew you'd say that, same thing the ID guy at my previous institution said. For linezolid to be blown out of the water, we have to pray that ZEPHYR is done right, and the data is analyzed and reported objectively (with Pfizer as the sponsor, HEH). However, at least they are monitoring serum concentrations and maintaining troughs between 15-20. Could actually be a fair fight.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00084266?term=zephyr&rank=1

Hopefully the trials above will provide some insight on the clinical effectiveness. It actually has not been rigorously studied under controlled settings, although a recent CID review did provide a lot of compelling reasons to be skeptical.

Well...if it shows postive results...this will be helpful for outpatients who can take it PO instead of getting Zyvox or Vanco IV...or gasp...long acting glycopeptide gearing to come out.

Well...if it shows postive results...this will be helpful for outpatients who can take it PO instead of getting Zyvox or Vanco IV...or gasp...long acting glycopeptide gearing to come out.

Mike Rybak priming the pharma pump for that one.

Ok, I am not a pharmacist yet (God willing I am accepted to school) but I am a veterinarian. And what your vet did is why I HATE being a veterinarian. People expect you to wait until the last dog gone second to bring your pet in. Emergency or did you just wait 5 days for your dog to have vomiting and diarrhea and now you decide to come in? I feel that if your pet is that important to you, then you should get to me on time. Otherwise there is an emergency clinic that opens the second I close! Just as there is a 24 hour pharmacy that is open when I close. Also...giving my personal number for after hours is a BIG HECK NO. I am not taking my work home with me. When I get home I am mother and wife...not Dr. Lewis-Taylor. I am sick and tired of people expecting me to have a bleeding heart to stay for your pet when you don't have the courtesy for my time. My children and husband are at home and would like to spend time with me as well. I don't want my ENTIRE day being given over to my patients. As one pharmacist said, if you give in to people they take advantage of you. I had a mother/daughter duo that came in FAITHFULLY at 5:50 with their two fat pig of dogs with all kinds of problems. I put on my nice FAKE smile (cause I was ALWAYS pissed that they did that to me) and I saw their dogs. I would end up staying to 7 or later. What did it get me? An attitude from them and almost cursing them out one day. I fired them as clients. So your niceness of staying open is bull and it has nothing to do with professionalism, it has to do with self respect...respect for my time and my family!

BTW I just had my son, on one of my visits to the OB/GYN it was 5 by the time I got out...there wasn't a soul left to even make me a follow up appointment. They don't play in those doctors offices and neither should we!

Oh and also those of you who put down those who are not pharmacist yet...IRRELEVANT! If you feel you should not be taken advantage of it does not matter what position you are. If you are the manager of Staples, at 9 your store is closed and you let the people know through the closed/locked doors! Yes, we as professionals are paid good...WE OUGHT TO BE...I went to school for 8 years and about to go another 4 and will be over $300,000 in debt. I need to be paid more! We are compensated for our education, not for the doormat that you all feel should be stapled to our chests for people to walk all over us!

WOW!!! That's quite the attack for someone who doesn't have all the details of why I called my vet just before closing and brought my dog in. And no, it wasn't a condition that I had let fester for 5 days. It wasn't even a condition that I let fester for 5 minutes. It was a case of walking in the door and finding the problem.

I suspect that is why my vet has been my vet for the last 19 years and will be until I leave the area or she quits practicing, even though I feel like she is more expensive than other vets in the area. And just because I can get her phone number doesn't mean I call her at every little whim. It means I consider what I am doing before I call her with a problem after hours and if at all possible I handle it on my own. I have an immense amount of respect for her.

Good luck on your pharmacy career. I hope you find it more satisfying than other careers where you felt like people walked all over you.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHA. So it works in a less pharmacological impressive manner than Bactim from the get go. Um. Yeah. How much you want to bet that like 7 years after it comes out, they come out with this "breakthrough" combination drug....

HAHAHAHAHA, but it will be "novel," the industry's favorite word that they almost never have the right to utter.