james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I figure in a forum of pre-med's some people may have some insight to offer about similar experiences:

How do you deal with a class full of people who are pissed off at you and act passive aggressively towards you for "being the one that destroys the curve" ?

el aye

O_o
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I figure in a forum of pre-med's some people may have some insight to offer about similar experiences:

How do you deal with a class full of people who are pissed off at you and act passive aggressively towards you for "being the one that destroys the curve" ?

By not letting them know you destroy the curve.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
By not letting them know you destroy the curve.
HAHA Amen!

You might want to stop asking everyone how they did on the exam and then replying with "I got a 98, I'm pissed about that one stupid question... she worded it weird" before they can answer.

BTW: Take off the shirt that says "I'M A PRE-MED AND I HAVE A 4.000, TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW BECAUSE I CAN'T YELL IT ANY LOUDER THAN I ALREADY AM!"

OP
james1988

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
i wish there was a way to keep my grades a secret:
my teacher passes out the tests and the grade is on the front and people, being people, inevitably look
one guy finds out and then word spreads like smallpox on speed

el aye

O_o
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
my teacher passes out the tests and the grade is on the front and people, being people, inevitably look

Get your exam before everyone else or ask the professors to put yours at the bottom and upside down to avoid situations like this.

Bond8204

Anatomy Lab Crasher
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
Status
Medical Student
There's no way this happens in every class. That's fairly irresponsible of your professor--my former profs always took pretty good care to make sure anonymity was maintained in giving out grades.

Suck it up. There are much, much worse problems.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
One word - FERPA

paradocs we are

In love with you
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
The Falls
Status
Medical Student
In a 20-people physical chemistry class, my professor gave out a really hard test and two people in the class answered the question no one else could (and consequently scored the highest). The prof decided to reward these two students by giving them chocolate bars and announcing to the class who got top and second top. I was one of the two. Unfortunately, the same 20 went on to take higher chemistry classes with me and I was forever hated by 2 girls. I didn't let it get to me, continued to keep my grades secret, and was just really polite/nice.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My chem teacher allowed the top student to score 100%, and the rest fall where they may.

For our ACS final I was the top of the curve. Unfortunately nearly 2/3 the class still received D's or lower. Needless to say, I didn't tell a soul what my score was.

Legato

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Paradocs...I don't know if its because I'm sleep deprived, but I find your name hilarious. It's probably because I'm tired though, because I'm finding everything very funny here tonight.

paradocs we are

In love with you
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
The Falls
Status
Medical Student
Paradocs...I don't know if its because I'm sleep deprived, but I find your name hilarious. It's probably because I'm tired though, because I'm finding everything very funny here tonight.
Glad to provide humour anytime ;)

but just out of curiosity, why do you find it funny?

AggiePharmer

Pharmatoxicogenomicist
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2008
San Diego
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hmm, if everyone already knows that you've "destroyed the curve" on multiple occasions, I don't suppose offering to study before the next midterm's viable option?

Just remember to frame the context in a positive light and offer to help others if they're still passive aggressive towards you. The worst that can happen is that they flat out refuse, but then again, that's not your fault for "destroying the curve." :rolleyes: Good luck!

dArroway

Gettin' my hood on
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
look at the life on this planet sir, no sign of it
Status
Pre-Medical

Just say "LOL, good guesser I guess, LOL"

bigDee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical

I've been in this situation, except I did something to add to the matter so they had a reason to be pissed. I just ignored it and most people just didn't talk about it after a while. I don't think you'll have a whole class mad at you after time has passed. And even if they are, they'll at least try to hide it.

CTtarheel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student

STOP BEING A TOOL AND BRAGGING ABOUT YOUR GRADES!

Nobody resents you for being the smartest one in the class, they resent you for somehow being a tool about it, or maybe they resent you for being a tool in some other way not related to your success.

ps. Your need to brag on an anonymous forum to a bunch of people you don't even know that you are the curve breaker at your school is proof that you sir (or madam) are a tool.

JA Prufrock

Serenity Now!
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Just say "LOL, good guesser I guess, LOL"
this is definitely a good way to deal with it. Also try self-deprecating humor like "well, I have no life, so I'd better be scoring that high." Self-deprecation makes you more likeable, it makes others feel less inferior.

dArroway

Gettin' my hood on
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
look at the life on this planet sir, no sign of it
Status
Pre-Medical
this is definitely a good way to deal with it. Also try self-deprecating humor like "well, I have no life, so I'd better be scoring that high." Self-deprecation makes you more likeable, it makes others feel less inferior.
Some more: "LOL, gee, I really suck at everything else, LOL"

Or, if you want to be epic: "LOL, better luck next time pals, LOL"

Bibbed

Just call it.
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2007
You need to call it. I can't call it for you. It w
Status
Pre-Medical
There's no chance you're the only person affecting the curve in each of your classes. If that is the case, you've got some dumb classmates. The first post comes across pretty arrogant, and in every class I've ever had people are usually in awe of those with the highest grades. The fact that you think an entire class of people are paying that much attention to you is pretty egotistical.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Wait, people really don't go around asking random people in their classes their grades...do they? Just say that you did above average, and that should work alright.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Talk about how you are getting a B- in the bio/physics/etc. courses that everyone is taking together.

inkare

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2008
Status
Medical Student
one person doesn't "destroy" the curve

NittanyKitty

NCSU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Raleigh, NC
psu.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
I don't tell anyone my grades aside from one or two close friends with whom I share just about everything. :) If I'm asked, my usual answer is, "I'm happy with what I got." And yes, I say that even if I'm not so thrilled with the score. I just don't feel that it's anyone's business to know where I stand in my classes. If it's an issue with the way the class is run, I agree with the advice to ask the teacher to please hand back your exam upside-down. I'm sure you're not the only one who doesn't appreciate their grade being advertised to the whole class.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
intentionally answer questions wrong so that you can "fit in."

student12x

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I don't get it. i thought that curves are traditionally based on the class average.

Isoprop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
yes so if you scored 95% while the rest of class scored 60%, you raised the mean.

Lawliet2008

Nobody mess with Adam We
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student

I'd just be too excited to notice anyone else. Unless its a lab course, why on earth do you care?

None: lol about Chuck Norris, that's the funniest thing I've read all week. :laugh:

beachblonde

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Status
Medical Student
eh, well, they can depending on what the "curve" is. some profs will take the highest score (say 92 out of 100) and then add the number of points to make it a 100. So then everybody gets 8 points on their test, or zero, or 20, or whatever. now, I know jack about math, but I have the feeling that the method isn't following a true bell curve. :p

OP, tell the prof that you and your fellow students would really appreciate a bit more privacy when it comes to grades and ask for the exam totals to be put on the last page of the exam. And stop telling people how you did. Make a policy for yourself where you just don't talk about grades, and stick to it.

wisconsindoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2007
Status
There are several flaws in your thinking and post.

1: teachers don't hand out exams with the exam score showing. This is illegal, you idiot.

2: you told other people your exam scores. you deserve the treatment you get.

3: you shouldn't care what others think or say.

4: you are leaving others control how you feel

The list goes on and on.

CashMcCallister

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Some more: "LOL, gee, I really suck at everything else, LOL"

Or, if you want to be epic: "LOL, better luck next time pals, LOL"
It's always good to through in a, "g2g lol k thx bai lol" at the end too. It gives them closure.

When you see your scores, avoid phrases like, "pwn3d" and "l33t." It hints at the fact that you've done well.

hra87

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
Status
yes so if you scored 95% while the rest of class scored 60%, you raised the mean.
Not by much...

I have never heard of a college course being curved by who had the highest grade. Weird.

bigman225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2007
Status
I like how you all assume he is rolling around with a T shirt on saying he is a 4.0 student or gloating to everyone he sees. The truth is it takes very little slippage on the test-acers part to induce this sort of hatred. For example, people ask you what your score is--are you supposed to tell them or reply with a smug "I did well," even after they've told you their score? That 's even more awkward. Also, if you have actual friends in the class, you may feel comfortable sharing your score with them (esp if they are good students as well) but they may then turn around and tell other people

The bottom line in my opinion is this: our society ridicules academic achievement. If you're serious about not being ridiculed, don't tell ANYONE--not your buddies (they'll brag), not the kid you want to shut up because he constantly asks you your grade. I've caught **** for my 4.0. I've caught **** for my 42R. That's not my fault--these are accomplishments I should have every right to be proud of, and frankly I'm not ashamed to be good at academics.

As a physician, you're going to be dealing with jealousy and resentment for the rest of your life. Get used to it.

Bartelby

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
1: teachers don't hand out exams with the exam score showing. This is illegal, you idiot.
I actually laughed out loud at how pointlessly inflammatory that line was! By the way, it's really not that uncommon for professors to let students pick up their exams from a big table of exams with grades written on the front, at least in my experience.

Tutmos

MS0
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Unless the teacher is a bit strange the standard is to throw out any aberrant score as a statistical outlier so if you were some super duper over achiever you not only wouldn't "destroy the curve" but you actually wouldn't affect it at all. I don't recall ever seeing anyone in any class being mad or bitter at someone that did well. If anything the standard seems to be people are ashamed of how they did and skulk away.

I'd have to say the OP was just being a troll. Nobody is at the top of the class while being so ignorant as to not know all of this already. I guess he has dreams of being the top of the curve and thought this is the way people would treat a person at the top of the curve. I'm normally in the top 5-10% of most classes (most of our profs provide a histogram of scores) so I don't know what it's like to be the very top score, unless it's a small 30 person class, but I've never seen anyone act bitterly. Maybe you go to a grubby degenerate school but people only seem to say "grats" if they ask my score.

Begaster

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status

Well, then, too ****ing bad for them. You're doing nothing wrong, if they have a problem with you, ignore them.

thoffen

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
When somebody asks, a simple "I did well" should suffice. If you're nice, approachable, humble, and help people, then that's all you can do.

BigRedder

Passing Gas
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Dude, there are worse problems in the world. Unless they are harming you in some way, just ignore them. What kind of "passive aggressive" things are they doing?

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
That's pretty incorrect. Not all professors have a strong math background, and so a lot of them don't know how to make a ****ing bell curve. Or any sort of viable statistical manipulation of data.

So you can end up with some pretty ****ed up distributions in small classes.

Also, some people are stupid and don't score well. If you match them up with someone who DOES score well, then things will happen. Like them getting bad scores.

Isoprop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i've gotten **** for saying "i did well." people assume i'm unapproachable or secretive. so if someone asks, i'll say "i got a ninty-something" or "i got an A."

Steeler7588

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
And that means it doesn't happen? Talk about idiotic. Speeding's illegal too, I guess that means nobody speeds.

Some professors will pass out tests with the grades on the front. People may be able to see. If someone affected by this isn't bothered by it or doesn't complain, then the professor will continue to do so. My Ecology professor this past semester handed back our exams with the grades on the front, and people only had to glance to see what others made. He might not have known better; either way, nobody seemed to mind that much. It happens. Don't be such an ***.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Our exams came in little books with the grades on the inside. Even if the professor dropped the exam report book, nothing would show.No one could see your grade unless you showed it to them or bragged about it. Bottom line: don't discuss your grades with anyone except your professor.

Parthenon89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
if i was the one who was killing the curve, then by god, i'd be happy as a clam that i'm getting those grades, i'd simply smile and take the **** handed to me by other students, why? who gives a flying phuck if you killed the curve, ur not there to help others get grades ur there to work ur *** off for yourself.

cheers ;)

AKu2984

MD to be...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Iowa
Status
Medical Student
STOP BEING A TOOL AND BRAGGING ABOUT YOUR GRADES!

Nobody resents you for being the smartest one in the class, they resent you for somehow being a tool about it, or maybe they resent you for being a tool in some other way not related to your success.

ps. Your need to brag on an anonymous forum to a bunch of people you don't even know that you are the curve breaker at your school is proof that you sir (or madam) are a tool.
:thumbup: