How do you decide what field you want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BatmanMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year, and was wondering how you decide what field you enter(ed)?
I mean during the 3rd year, you do your primary care rotations, but nothing really specialized (maybe an occasional one). Then you make "THE LIST" for the match at the beginning of your 4th year, when possibly you have had no/hardly any exposure to that field.
Some people will say go into this or that, but how do you know what is best for you.
:confused:
I think my dates are approx. correct, but if they are not please correct me.:p
Please remember, that I don't really have a lot of free time to just shadow docs or try to volunteer in clinics, so how do you make that decision that you live with for the rest of your career?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Don't stress about it yet. Take your core rotations as a third year. When in each rotation, think about what you like and what you dont. Also think about why. Think about things like: Do I like close personal contacts? Do I like to do procedures? Can I stand how messy OB/GYN is?

Most people will get a feeling of what they like during their core rotations. You can use early fourth year electives to further hone your interests, try subspecialties, do a sub-i to see if a choice is right for you.

You can also use free time as a second year to shadow a doc or two and see if you like what they do.

Ed

you just have to make the time. maybe you can attend physician association meetings, take time off to do research, join interest groups, etc.