"send me what you want me to write on your evaluation comments"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVan Nostrand

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
so an attending told me to write them exactly the comment i want on my 3rd year surgical clerkship evaluation (the one that shows up on my dean's letter).

what the heck should i say? i have done this sort of thing for letter's of rec, but i dont know how these types of evaluations are typically written. this is my first clerkship. i don't want it to sound overboard/cringe, be too long/too short, etc. but i also want to take this opportunity to make it sound as good as possible. anyone have suggestions on what to write? a template perhaps??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is from CHATGPT
I had to do this for an offsite rotation that was informal. It was a good opportunity to reflect on my strengths and weaknesses.

Title: Exemplary Performance and Compassionate Care: A Stellar Review for [Medical Student's Name]

I am thrilled to provide an exceptional review for [Medical Student's Name] based on their outstanding performance during their rotation at [Hospital/Organization]. Their exceptional skills, dedication, and compassionate approach truly set them apart as a future leader in the medical field.

From the very beginning, [Medical Student's Name] demonstrated a remarkable commitment to patient care. Their genuine empathy and compassion were evident in every interaction with patients and their families. They took the time to actively listen, address concerns, and provide support, creating a comforting and reassuring environment for those under their care.

[Medical Student's Name] exhibited an impressive depth of medical knowledge and clinical competence. They consistently displayed a strong understanding of medical concepts and their practical applications. Their ability to analyze complex cases, think critically, and make sound clinical decisions showcased their exceptional aptitude for medicine.

Furthermore, their communication skills were truly exemplary. [Medical Student's Name] effortlessly conveyed medical information in a clear and accessible manner, ensuring that patients fully understood their conditions, treatment options, and care plans. Their exceptional ability to communicate effectively with patients of diverse backgrounds and varying levels of health literacy was highly commendable.

One of the most notable aspects of [Medical Student's Name]'s performance was their remarkable teamwork and collaboration skills. They seamlessly integrated themselves into the healthcare team, actively contributing to multidisciplinary discussions and collaborating with other healthcare professionals. Their respect for colleagues, willingness to seek input, and ability to provide valuable insights significantly enhanced the overall quality of patient care.

[Medical Student's Name] consistently displayed a strong work ethic and professionalism throughout their rotation. They consistently arrived on time, demonstrated excellent organizational skills, and managed their responsibilities effectively. Even in challenging and high-pressure situations, they maintained a composed and focused demeanor, earning the respect and trust of their peers and supervisors.

Moreover, [Medical Student's Name] actively sought opportunities for self-improvement and personal growth. They consistently sought feedback, eagerly engaged in continuing education, and displayed a genuine thirst for knowledge. Their commitment to lifelong learning and dedication to staying updated with the latest medical advancements are attributes that will undoubtedly propel them to excel in their medical career.

In summary, [Medical Student's Name] has proven themselves to be an exceptional medical student who consistently goes above and beyond in providing compassionate and high-quality patient care. Their strong clinical skills, exceptional communication abilities, teamwork mindset, and unwavering dedication make them a true asset to the medical profession.

I have no doubt that [Medical Student's Name] will continue to make significant contributions to the field of medicine and positively impact the lives of countless patients. I wholeheartedly recommend [Medical Student's Name] for any future endeavors and have full confidence in their abilities to excel as a compassionate and skilled healthcare professional.

Best regards,

[Your Name] [Your Title/Position] [Hospital/Organization]

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, if you want to make this sound more realistic, you should open with something like "doing well for first clerkship." Then add comments about things that you might intrinsically be good at on your first clerkship (with is typically nothing to do with medicine). I had an early IM comment that was something similar to "he's learning the ropes." But the next line was about me staying late in the day to take consults when everyone else tapped out. That specific comment was brought up during multiple interviews. Think of it this way: what would you want a potential future employer to know about you intrinsically? Residency can teach you medicine but if you are deficient in work ethic, interprofessional skills, or other non-medical traits, then you won't be as desirable of a candidate. I also would keep my comments to a couple of paragraphs because it's unlikely the above novel will be read in its entirety.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Evaluators who do this are not being clever. Or trying to make you be introspective / insightful. They are simply being lazy.

Reactions: 7 users
If I recall clerkship evals are really short

“RangerBob performed better than his peers on his first M3 rotation with us. He showed up early for cases and finished pre-rounding on time. He was eager to answer my questions and displays a fund of knowledge in the top quarter of his class. Interpersonal skills are excellent with both his peers and patients.”

It’s been a long time since I read my deans letter, but the above is typically what attendings wrote in our evals. And they gave us scores as well of course.

Reactions: 1 users
This is from CHATGPT
I had to do this for an offsite rotation that was informal. It was a good opportunity to reflect on my strengths and weaknesses.

Title: Exemplary Performance and Compassionate Care: A Stellar Review for [Medical Student's Name]

I am thrilled to provide an exceptional review for [Medical Student's Name] based on their outstanding performance during their rotation at [Hospital/Organization]. Their exceptional skills, dedication, and compassionate approach truly set them apart as a future leader in the medical field.

From the very beginning, [Medical Student's Name] demonstrated a remarkable commitment to patient care. Their genuine empathy and compassion were evident in every interaction with patients and their families. They took the time to actively listen, address concerns, and provide support, creating a comforting and reassuring environment for those under their care.

[Medical Student's Name] exhibited an impressive depth of medical knowledge and clinical competence. They consistently displayed a strong understanding of medical concepts and their practical applications. Their ability to analyze complex cases, think critically, and make sound clinical decisions showcased their exceptional aptitude for medicine.

Furthermore, their communication skills were truly exemplary. [Medical Student's Name] effortlessly conveyed medical information in a clear and accessible manner, ensuring that patients fully understood their conditions, treatment options, and care plans. Their exceptional ability to communicate effectively with patients of diverse backgrounds and varying levels of health literacy was highly commendable.

One of the most notable aspects of [Medical Student's Name]'s performance was their remarkable teamwork and collaboration skills. They seamlessly integrated themselves into the healthcare team, actively contributing to multidisciplinary discussions and collaborating with other healthcare professionals. Their respect for colleagues, willingness to seek input, and ability to provide valuable insights significantly enhanced the overall quality of patient care.

[Medical Student's Name] consistently displayed a strong work ethic and professionalism throughout their rotation. They consistently arrived on time, demonstrated excellent organizational skills, and managed their responsibilities effectively. Even in challenging and high-pressure situations, they maintained a composed and focused demeanor, earning the respect and trust of their peers and supervisors.

Moreover, [Medical Student's Name] actively sought opportunities for self-improvement and personal growth. They consistently sought feedback, eagerly engaged in continuing education, and displayed a genuine thirst for knowledge. Their commitment to lifelong learning and dedication to staying updated with the latest medical advancements are attributes that will undoubtedly propel them to excel in their medical career.

In summary, [Medical Student's Name] has proven themselves to be an exceptional medical student who consistently goes above and beyond in providing compassionate and high-quality patient care. Their strong clinical skills, exceptional communication abilities, teamwork mindset, and unwavering dedication make them a true asset to the medical profession.

I have no doubt that [Medical Student's Name] will continue to make significant contributions to the field of medicine and positively impact the lives of countless patients. I wholeheartedly recommend [Medical Student's Name] for any future endeavors and have full confidence in their abilities to excel as a compassionate and skilled healthcare professional.

Best regards,

[Your Name] [Your Title/Position] [Hospital/Organization]
It has to be genuine like the attending is detailing specific examples of what he observed during the student's rotation to demonstrate the distinguishing qualities mentioned above. How did they "effortlessly conveyed medical information in a clear and accessible manner, ensuring that patients fully understood their conditions, treatment options, and care plans. Their exceptional ability to communicate effectively with patients of diverse backgrounds and varying levels of health literacy was highly commendable." What did they do to demonstrate this. LOL.

Reactions: 1 user