How do you explain your career change to other people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterwolf

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may seem like a non-issue to most people but this topic is something that has been bothering me lately. I'm in my late 20's and I am typically a very low key person. I mind my own business and don't really like to say things until they are done. However, this new journey that I am on is a marathon and I'm fully aware of that. The issue that I am facing is telling other people that I am changing careers when they ask me. In my previous career I was in corporate America making just shy of six figures. Now I am going to school full time at a CC and not working at all. All of my good friends and family know and understand what I am doing in depth but other than that no one else really knows about it. It may be in my own head but I feel like people think that I am crazy for doing it or better yet don't believe me at all.

Let's say that you are connecting with a friend that you don't stay in touch with that often or you are meeting an acquaintance. What do you say when they start asking how your job is going? How much detail do you give out about your plan?

Members don't see this ad.

So I see this as a great opportunity to work on your elevator pitch for your personal statement. I completely understand being low key and not wanting to say things, but one of the hard parts of this process of getting into med school is selling yourself to an admissions committee and being able to explain convincingly why you would want to leave a successful career to subject yourself to 7+ years of school and training along with the costs and lack of/reduced income it entails.

My advice would be to write down a pitch about your decision to go into medicine and why you want to do it. I'd probably run it by a friend or family member first to sanity check it. Then practice it until you can remember it, relatively verbatim. When someone asks you how your job is going, give them the pitch. If they think you're crazy or don't believe you, then it means you need to refine your pitch. If they respond with "oh, that's great! I can see why you'd want to go into medicine", you have something you can work with to develop your personal statement for your application. Is it any of their business or do they need to know? Not really. But this gives you a great opportunity to develop a story that will sell your reason for going to medical school to an admission committee member who doesn't know you from Adam.

Just a suggestion.

Reactions: 8 users
Completely agree with above .
Also - I think this is a great opportunity to learn how to not give a d*mn about peoples opinions. I feel like you have this feeling like you HAVE to explain and sort of convince others around you why you are doing this- I used to do this all the time (also a career changer). And than when yet another person started sharing their opinion with me I was just DONE. Now when I am doing something new (a new project, or choosing a specialty, or whatever) I just tell myself and others (only if they ask) “this is what I want, this is what’s best for me”. That’s it . It is so empowering!!!!

please consider what I just said . You are grown accomplished person . You don’t own an explanation to ANYONE (well maybe If you have a committed life partner , that’s different). When I had the switch in this mindset it was so freeing . Incredible.
Please consider this .

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same position, except I haven't even left my job yet lol. I will by the end of the year to complete a post-bac. I was debating whether it was worth it to tell anyone or just keep it to myself. I told my close friends and family but I admit the more ppl I tell, the more comfortable and less crazy I feel for having this lifetime goal. Sometimes when I am planning my exit route from work, I would feel the feeling like I am crazy, because any perfect person would love my job. That I am spoiled and just bored, going down the wrong road for excitement, and my favorite I will be single forever if I decide to take this route. These are my fears projecting to keep myself safe. I don't know if I even caught up with the idea that I want to be a doctor. I just know I owe myself to take the road less traveled by, to follow my values, to give myself permission to be myself, and I have a moral obligation to fulfill it. Soooooo, I still don't know if I should tell anyone lol.

Completely agree with above .
Also - I think this is a great opportunity to learn how to not give a d*mn about peoples opinions. I feel like you have this feeling like you HAVE to explain and sort of convince others around you why you are doing this- I used to do this all the time (also a career changer). And than when yet another person started sharing their opinion with me I was just DONE. Now when I am doing something new (a new project, or choosing a specialty, or whatever) I just tell myself and others (only if they ask) “this is what I want, this is what’s best for me”. That’s it . It is so empowering!!!!

please consider what I just said . You are grown accomplished person . You don’t own an explanation to ANYONE (well maybe If you have a committed life partner , that’s different). When I had the switch in this mindset it was so freeing . Incredible.
Please consider this .
Agree as well. Left a good engineering job and evening MBA program 4 years after college. My resignation letter merely stated “to pursue other interests”.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with everyone above. I left a 6 figure job in my late 30s for medicine. I learned to say as little as possible. If they’re interested, they’ll ask for more details and I only give a little at a time so they can change their mind and back out of the topic before it gets too involved.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t come from a family of academics, so telling them I was going back to school in my 30s and planning to go to medical school was met with a range of responses, from “good for you” to “you’re too old for that”. The most common response I got was “I could never do that”.

My husband left a lucrative (stressful) 18 year corporate career to go into (non-stressful) blue collar work when we relocated for medical school, and he’s happier now than he’s ever been. Unanimously when he told his co-workers why he was leaving, their response was “I wish I had the guts to do what you’re doing.”

Ultimately though, no matter what response we got, we were confident that we were doing the right thing for our family. There are always going to be people who think you’re crazy or can’t do it or you’re too old, or whatever. That’s usually a reflection of their fear to step out and try something big rather than a true perception of you.

My aunt was the one who suggested I go back and she did the heavy lifting of convincing my dad that it was the right choice. My mom wasn't totally convinced but she's never been one to vehemently object. She's very pleased now.

The reason was that I was supremely dissatisfied with my current job and I couldn't see a path forward that I enjoyed. Background is in engineering, got my MBA right after, worked in finance for a few years. I'm not being arrogant when I say that I was the best analyst they had; I had analytical skills beyond everyone else in my department, I was the only one at my level who traveled and presented to major clients, and there were several things that nobody else could replicate. Yet I was underpaid and underappreciated because I wasn't a salesperson (my direct boss loved me, but no one else).

I met with the group leader and gave him a chance to make it right; he declined in so many words. Right after that, I said goodbye to one person, set an email to go out at a specific time announcing my plans and resignation, and walked out without anyone noticing. I remember the quote from Hunt for Red October when Captain Ramius was explaining his decision to tell Moscow that he was defecting: "When he reached the new world, Cortez burned his ships. Thus, his crew was highly motivated."

I always stated my goal was medical school. I had a few people laugh or question my decision, but no one outright criticized me directly. I'm sure some have in private but I don't really care. The reasons are twofold:

1) I knew I would succeed
2) It's my life. I don't care what other people think about me unless their opinion will affect my life (evals, paycheck, relationships). I don't hang on to relationships that don't benefit me emotionally or financially.

That may seem harsh to some, but I've found it's better to prune relationships as needed rather than hanging on after you've drifted apart. Not all friendships need to be lifelong; sometimes we just naturally diverge without fault.

Anyway, the point is that it's your choice who and what to tell, but I found that being direct was a powerful motivator for me. It can also reveal strengths and weaknesses in your relationships. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Feel free to select from my pre-approved list of responses:

1) "Nursing school" (They will assume this anyway if you're a female carrying a science book; may not apply for you)
2) "I am joining the circus."
3) "Rehab"
4) "Mid-century French literature"
5) "I'm not a student, I am just a janitor at the school"
6) "I got a full ride for pickleball so I figured Why Not"
or, the truth, when I felt so inclined:
7) "This job sucks, think I'll try another."

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Ooof, one life to live. No need to explain yourself as long as you're not harming others while doing it.

"I've decided a career in medicine is for me so I'm pursuing that now."

Done.

• Love