How do you feel...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkmanX

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you see people wearing their school sweater/sweat shirt and it says Medicine prominently in the name or Medicine on the sleeve? Same as scrubs in public?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a concerned mother of nine and I feel absolutely offended. I am so damn offended that I am going to write a letter that nobody will read to congress! I am exercising my right to free speech! I'd also like to add that I am very offended. How dare you. :mad:

Who gives a fresh piece of smelly whale dung; that is, unless it a female. A female with some nice big breastisis or a juicy ass I'd like to lather some BBQ sauce on. Then I'll stare for as long as I can, hoping that I won't get caught.

Members don't see this ad :)
i_have_a_feeling_you_may_be_a_douche_funny_t-shirt.jpg

I've always wanted to be a douche :appropriatesmileyemoticon:

Does it annoy you?

Pre-meds wearing medical school apparel grinds my gears. It's pretty silly of me, but every time I see a pre-med wearing a Harvard med t-shirt, for example, I want to punch them repeatedly.

I feel unaffected by it and quite neutral.

How do you feel?

Depends, is it cold outside? Is it a comfortable sweater?

i wouldn't even mind if they added their future position like "head of neurosurgery" or some other BS like that

i got over it in high school when everyone has ivy league hoodies etc etc.

My opinion is that it's douchey to make a point of drawing attention to the fact you're a med student or doctor, but it's not like you have to hide it from everyone either. Wearing a shirt that mentions the school you go to is fine IMO. People from all walks of life do sometimes wear clothing that mentions where they work.

(Incidentally, the place I did my internship at gave us all shirts with the name of the medical center on it when we started there - and yes I do wear it sometimes.)

When you see people wearing their school sweater/sweat shirt and it says Medicine prominently in the name or Medicine on the sleeve? Same as scrubs in public?

I cut the sleeves off of my Alumn shirt and wear it to the gym. Serial. Its all the shirt if good for.

I did hesitate at first, because I didn;t want to come across as a douche. Then people show up in work scrubs. And I felt better.

I cut the sleeves off of my Alumn shirt and wear it to the gym. Serial. Its all the shirt if good for.

I did hesitate at first, because I didn;t want to come across as a douche. Then people show up in work scrubs. And I felt better.

I see people out in work scrubs all the time- mostly nurses. I also see many, many nurses hanging stethoscopes from the rearview mirrors of their cars, which they never remove or use. Funny how we are all trying to play down our involvement in medicine in public whereas nurses are going out of their way to show it off. Clearly the nurses are much more proud of their profession?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see people out in work scrubs all the time- mostly nurses. I also see many, many nurses hanging stethoscopes from the rearview mirrors of their cars, which they never remove or use. Funny how we are all trying to play down our involvement in medicine in public whereas nurses are going out of their way to show it off. Clearly the nurses are much more proud of their profession?

Or they're so insecure that they feel like they need to tell everyone how important they are. Clearly if they have a stethoscope they must be something important! For real, nurses tend to try to remind people that they're nurses every chance they get.

Real confident people don't need to go around waving stethoscopes in front of every nose on the street.

Sweatshirts/tshirts are fine, scrubs not so much. There is a huge difference between wearing a tshirt with your school on it and wearing your white coat to the bar.

I thought this was so that when they get pulled over, the cop lets them off without a ticket. Cops are usually sympathetic to docs/nurses/medics, in my experience.

The white coat will get you out of a ticket!

Don't doubt that for a second.

Caveat: You also need to carry yourself like you're one BAMF to make it believable.

Sweatshirts/tshirts are fine, scrubs not so much. There is a huge difference between wearing a tshirt with your school on it and wearing your white coat to the bar.

Please don't wear your School of Medicine T-shirt to the bar. It is "try hard". Women are very sensitive to the qualities common among evolutionarily favorable mates. Being insecure (by caring about what other people think or needing show off) is not one of those qualities.

Ya my luggage got lost and I went to the school store and bought a bunch of school gear and since my school is only a SoM, all of it says that plastered all over the clothing.

Please don't wear your School of Medicine T-shirt to the bar. It is "try hard". Women are very sensitive to the qualities common among evolutionarily favorable mates. Being insecure (by caring about what other people think or needing show off) is not one of those qualities.

Well evolutionarily speaking, showing off isn't a bad thing. It doesn't seem to denote insecurity in animals, at least. Check out the peacock, for example, or any other number of animals that goes out of its way to display how awesome it is to females. The dull looking males generally don't get mates. The ones that can show off their strength or any other favorable characteristics they have usually do... With humans that would probably translate to working out and showing off your body, dressing nicely, driving a fancy car, or even showing off your medical school status. Females are evolutionarily tuned to look for males that can provide for them, so being in medical school is definitely a positive sign in that regard. One could see this sort of display as insecurity, but it could also be interpreted as expressing dominance over the other males.

Last edited:
Ya my luggage got lost and I went to the school store and bought a bunch of school gear and since my school is only a SoM, all of it says that plastered all over the clothing.

Sure bro. Do you also use X-ray film to tint your windows because the sun is "too bright?" :smuggrin:

Sure bro. Do you also use X-ray film to tint your windows because the sun is "too bright?" :smuggrin:

I don't understand that reference, is that a radiologist nerd joke?

Well evolutionarily speaking, showing off isn't a bad thing. It doesn't seem to denote insecurity in animals, at least. Check out the peacock, for example, or any other number of animals that goes out of its way to display how awesome it is to females. The dull looking males generally don't get mates. The ones that can show off their strength or any other favorable characteristics they have usually do... With humans that would probably translate to working out and showing off your body, dressing nicely, driving a fancy car, or even showing off your medical school status. Females are evolutionarily tuned to look for males that can provide for them, so being in medical school is definitely a positive sign in that regard. One could see this sort of display as insecurity, but it could also be interpreted as expressing dominance over the other males.

I think you would be attracting the wrong kind of woman with your hundred thousand dollar car and Armani clothing...at least without a prenup.