How do you get involved with research early as an M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it simply a matter of emailing and getting in touch with PI's around your school and seeing if they are willing to accept another student in their lab? It it possible to start getting involved with research early on as an M1 or should I wait until after the first year is over?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just put the search in re-search?

d1af677291dfe2ed698a993d05c2c988_5129663-comment-ahhh-meme-face_600-549.png

Reactions: 5 users
Is it simply a matter of emailing and getting in touch with PI's around your school and seeing if they are willing to accept another student in their lab? It it possible to start getting involved with research early on as an M1 or should I wait until after the first year is over?

Emailing PIs cold could work but it would be more effective to get in touch with upperclassman doing research in the field you are interested in. They'll be able to point you in the right direction in terms of who is productive, who takes on med students, etc. Start shadowing/getting in the OR with attendings in the field you are interested in. Try to get to know the residents as well. Ask them if they have any projects that they could use med student help on.

I would maybe try to get settled as a med student before jumping into research projects and get the ball rolling ~halfway through your M1 year.

Reactions: 1 user
Emailing PIs cold could work but it would be more effective to get in touch with upperclassman doing research in the field you are interested in. They'll be able to point you in the right direction in terms of who is productive, who takes on med students, etc. Start shadowing/getting in the OR with attendings in the field you are interested in. Try to get to know the residents as well. Ask them if they have any projects that they could use med student help on.

I would maybe try to get settled as a med student before jumping into research projects and get the ball rolling ~halfway through your M1 year.
In terms of shadowing, do you just email random faculty to get in?

In terms of shadowing, do you just email random faculty to get in?

Yes. I provided my CV as well to play it safe (which really, you don't need to do).

Good advice. I messaged upperclassmen and also residents. The residents in IM who are eyeing fellowship are usually running a projects to be competitive when applying PGY-3 or Chief Residency year.

Reactions: 1 users

School's sometimes have Excel lists they hand out to students. Talk to any M1/2s you know to ask them to send you this. Then email them letting you know you are future medical student and send them your CV as well.