How do you give fluid resuscitation in sepsis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

arossm

I cannot find a single source on the internet that explains the practical aspects of fluid resuscitation in sepsis, from a teaching perspective.

In what fashion is the fluid given? Bolus or drip?
If bolus, over how many minutes is it given?
Is the required volume bolused all at once or divided doses?

Please provide your source. I am out to prove that the internet is trash (even textbooks and even the surviving sepsis guidelines do not address this).

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot find a single source on the internet that explains the practical aspects of fluid resuscitation in sepsis, from a teaching perspective.

In what fashion is the fluid given? Bolus or drip?
If bolus, over how many minutes is it given?
Is the required volume bolused all at once or divided doses?

Please provide your source. I am out to prove that the internet is trash (even textbooks and even the surviving sepsis guidelines do not address this).

Bolus/wide open. No source needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Bolus/wide open. No source needed.

Nice try man, but source is needed. The real challenge and reward is finding a source. I specifically asked this because there is no mention of it on the net or in any educational material. Perhaps fluid resuscitation in sepsis is a very rare practice. If it was so common, this would be addressed somewhere, would it not. Plus, it's not good practice for me to just say that someone on SDN told me. Come on. You know that's unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice try man, but source is needed. The real challenge and reward is finding a source. I specifically asked this because there is no mention of it on the net or in any educational material. Perhaps fluid resuscitation in sepsis is a very rare practice. If it was so common, this would be addressed somewhere, would it not. Plus, it's not good practice for me to just say that someone on SDN told me. Come on. You know that's unacceptable.

Three things:
1) do your own homework

2) If only there were a campaign about surviving sepsis that would give us the answer... If only there were a search engine which could help us find the answer in literally 2 seconds with even the smallest anount of effort...

3) One of us is pissant premed. The other is an attending physician trained at Hopkins. Can you guess which one is which? (Hint: look at your status). Don't give me attitude, kid. Give us even the smallest amount of effort and we will help you the rest of the way.

You posted two posts asking for sources. I suggest you do your own research. No one here have time to do it for you.
I hated research, but learned how to use pubmed and it was the best thing I could have learned. Go to your school library. The librarian knows more than you think. My school librarian knows more than me.

Anyway, since I took my time and learned pubmed, I knew there is something called surviving sepsis 2017 guidelines that just came out this year. It was not that difficult to find it, not even what I am doing research on lol.

Nvm, I noticed you mentioned surviving sepsis guidelines, it mentioned as fast as you can, but I agree with Instatewaiter. I don't think you can find a source to cite the details you were asking for. It is common sense, no one will spend time on come sense research. Wide open, pressure bag pump it if you want it faster, you can even have more than one bag run at the same time.

Last edited: