How do you guys bounce back from a bad semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips from prior experiences?

I've got a C+ in a science and my overall gpa was literally a 3.89 with my sgpa not so far behind and now it's not even a 3.8. Honestly I'm fully aware I'm overreacting because objectively my gpa isn't bad, and this semester has the capability to really pull it up but I'm not even sure how to begin trying to get over that C+ on my transcript. I know I could've done better and am trying to apply it to future classes but I'm equally so ashamed of myself as well as disheartened about college in general and feel I've gotta push even the thought of med school even farther into the future. I know it's stupid and counterproductive but I've skipped meeting with my pre-med advisor to make sure we're on the same page because I don't want to share how bad I did.

Members don't see this ad.

It's normal to be upset after getting a bad grade. Give it time, and remember that in a few years, this won't matter. You probably won't even remember what you got in the class.

Reactions: 1 users
I sat down and thought to myself, "if I do this **** again I'm never going to get into medical school." I never did it again. Close.. but I pulled through.

It was also helpful to remember, "if Becky two rows in front of me can get an A, then I can too." Becky sucks

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm if it dropped your gpa that much then I'm assuming you're a freshman/sophomore? If so, you have plenty of courses left to take so I wouldn't stress too much. For ex. I started freshmen yr off with like a 3.3. Made B- in gen chem, & some other class. But I'm in my last semester now & my cgpa/sgpa is a 3.8. It's definitely possible to bring it up. Just be consistent with your studying and you'll be alright. Also, from what I've read, once your gpa is above a 3.7, your mcat matters substantially more.

Reactions: 1 user
agree. Four years of padding to your GPA you'll be fine. After these hard classes, take easy bio classes and up your gpa. It's also holistic. Even if you have a 3.9 your MCAT needs to be good enough. And it goes the other way. A really good MCAT could make up for a good but not great gpa. That said med schools don't like extremes either (super low GPA with super high MCAT or vice versa).

Cut back on the booze
This.

Also evaluate what you did that didn't work. What lead to your bad grades? Then fix those things. Setbacks are normal. If you learn from this and don't make those mistakes again you'll be good!