How do you guys deal with anger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I could and should but it's just my personality. I've always been a very possessive person. Things I use regularly, I grow attached to despite the material value. Even though that bottle was expensive and I'm beating myself up for losing it because my mom got it for me ($25). It's not the bottle, it's the principle and the bottle was irreplaceable. I have a matching color thermos and when I run out of coffee, I switch to the bottle for water.

Everything you have written in this thread just strengthens my belief that you should see a therapist. Issues like these are why their profession exists.

Disclaimer: My study of personality disorders extends to what I studied for the MCAT, but if a friend behaved like this I would urge them to enter therapy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey OP -

I'd make sure you figure out what to do about anger. Lots of options posted in this thread. Good idea opening the topic up.

I am writing to highlight that anger can be the downfall of many professionals. One explosion or shouting match in the wrong place and BOOM you are marked as a bad apple and can be kicked out of school depending on how serious the situation is taken. Even if it is completely verbal, there is the possibility of serious consequences - as there should be. No professional should be able to be angered at work. In your case, at school. I'm glad nothing happened and you caught yourself this time. Just make sure you nip this in the bud before external pressure (med school, stress, family issues) spring up and cause you to lose some of your grip. You have time now before med school and during college to figure this out in a safe environment. Glad to see you are proactive on here - hope this stuff works out for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think you may have burnt out at 25? I'm guessing you were MS3 or MS4? I take everything in life with intensity and neuroticism and don't foresee it being sustainable when I'm a fully grown adult. Things school related get amplified to extreme.

Other people I know miss quizzes and say "oh well, lowest ones dropped". I would not be able to sleep if I had missed a quiz. I've had nightmares of missing quizzes, lectures or even worse, a due date.

The other day my water bottle (takeya 40oz, very nice) got stolen/lost when I was in the bathroom because I filled it by the fountain and opted not to take it inside. I looked for it for absout 2/3 hours, could not focus on studying, and looked for it at night after my last class. Turned out to be a very bad day which is a bad week now.

I could and should but it's just my personality. I've always been a very possessive person. Things I use regularly, I grow attached to despite the material value. Even though that bottle was expensive and I'm beating myself up for losing it because my mom got it for me ($25). It's not the bottle, it's the principle and the bottle was irreplaceable. I have a matching color thermos and when I run out of coffee, I switch to the bottle for water.

I think everyone has one reason or another to see a therapist. Take what I say with a grain of salt. On the internet, things may seem more exaggerated which leads to people directing others towards therapy. SDN is especially guilty of this.
You sound just like me man. I plan to drop the neuroticism once I'm settled into my career. In my opinion it's only natural to be like this. There is so much at stake and by no means is it okay to "take it easy" and chill out as some people say. I'm not a naturally gifted genius who can pass his classes with minimal effort. I just finished my first week of college and it's honestly very overwhelming with the work-load, not so much the difficulty. I've spent every day in the library when I'm not in class. When I start to feel like I'm losing focus I go to the gym and comeback refreshed again. Everyone has a way to get through it.

As far as OP, I'm pretty good at managing anger. I usually just harness its energy and break it down into my long-term stores. This is my stance on anger 100%:

The real problem here is why on earth did you study so much for a clicker quiz? I agree with everyone else, don't sweat small stuff and definitely don't start cussing out faculty in an email.

Reactions: 1 users