How do you guys deal with the question "why this school?"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

softmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all medical schools have their advantages and disadvantages, and most of us are applying to schools with pretty similar facilities and prestige (at least I am). Besides my top choices, I applied to schools I thought I could get into.

When this question "why our school?" comes up, how do you guys answer it if there's no specific reason? I was thinking I'd just go through all the other schools I applied to and name at least one advantage of their school over the other schools. Saying something general like, "oh I like your facilities" or "I want to serve this area" would scream bull**** I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much all medical schools have their advantages and disadvantages, and most of us are applying to schools with pretty similar facilities and prestige (at least I am). Besides my top choices, I applied to schools I thought I could get into.

When this question "why our school?" comes up, how do you guys answer it if there's no specific reason? I was thinking I'd just go through all the other schools I applied to and name at least one advantage of their school over the other schools. Saying something general like, "oh I like your facilities" or "I want to serve this area" would scream bull**** I think.

It's a question that serves two purposes. It first wants to see if you've done your homework and then by how detailed your answer is, it also serves as a gauge for your interest in the school. It's really a pretty good question.

Your approach isn't what I'd consider ideal. Focus on the positives of each school. Each school has something they're proud of and promote. Tying the school to your own personal interests is the best way to answer this question. For example, Duke has probably the best heart failure program in the country, and I stressed that I'm interested in pursuing such research as a med student there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your approach isn't what I'd consider ideal. Focus on the positives of each school. Each school has something they're proud of and promote. Tying the school to your own personal interests is the best way to answer this question. For example, Duke has probably the best heart failure program in the country, and I stressed that I'm interested in pursuing such research as a med student there.

i agree with this find a unique interest you have in medicine and then find something about the school that fits this interest. for me it was international health so when asked this question i would say something like "i'm really interested in the global health program you have. i am especially interested in the program you have in country X becuase..."

The point is to make it seem like going to the school is a natural and obvious choice given your background and interests.

" Coz I'm a gunner and I'm trying to apply to every top schools"

This is another one of those pre-med things I hate, that people do without having any genuine interest in...why should he have to go look something up that he probably really doesn't have an interest in just to answer a question that has become more or less a tradition to ask? It's not like medical school admission is a predictable enough process that one can really take the time to narrow their choices down based on random specifics like "heart failure research" and "international health program"...for most it's simply an attempt to reach a school of a similar or desirable academic caliber that can give them the sufficient training necessary to be successful...why can't that be enough?

COMPLETELY agreed. Schools would have to be just plain dumb to believe I researched and found 20 "special" schools with programs/traits/curriculum I found interesting. Negative, I looked up their stats and thought "hey, i could live there for 4 years". They should just drop these BS questions.

Well, this is a fun question, isn't it.

While I can't tell you what the "right" thing for you to say would be, I have always tried to really be honest.

I actually told schools what I found on their website, how I checked the MSAR, and what I found on interview day. Basically I went through how I picked my 20 schools, and then focused on what I thought their school offered and why that appealed to me.

I have 7 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection so far.

The rejection was one where I didn't want to go after visiting anyway, so these things really do work themselves out sometimes.

If you want to be accepted to EVERY school that you apply, then I wouldn't recommend this method, but there are times where well thought out honesty can be the best policy (which is most of the time for me anyway).

Well, this is a fun question, isn't it.

While I can't tell you what the "right" thing for you to say would be, I have always tried to really be honest.

I actually told schools what I found on their website, how I checked the MSAR, and what I found on interview day. Basically I went through how I picked my 20 schools, and then focused on what I thought their school offered and why that appealed to me.

I have 7 acceptances, 2 waitlists, and 1 rejection so far.

The rejection was one where I didn't want to go after visiting anyway, so these things really do work themselves out sometimes.

If you want to be accepted to EVERY school that you apply, then I wouldn't recommend this method, but there are times where well thought out honesty can be the best policy (which is most of the time for me anyway).
You are awesome man!

List the advantages you spoke of, make up something, or... Don't apply to schools you really have no interest in going to.

And "wanting to serve that area" is not a bs answer at all unless youre just full of crap. Often times, they really are looking for people who will continue to train and work in that area.

originally I used to get really tripped up on this question (but in hindsight that was on schools I was just applying to because I want to be a doctor)...especially some schools whose websites are pretty void of useful information to talk about. However if you actually have genuine interest in attending a particular school I find that it's really not a hard question at all, since there are usually reasons behind that...Like others have said I also see it as their way of assessing if you actually researched anything about the school and are knowledgeable about their mission, programs etc.

I figure this is kind of obvious, but since the OP asked, I usually use the following steps:

1) Look on the school's website, particularly the part for prospective students. Generally, they'll try to advertise something to draw people there. That's a good place to start. Read about the curriculum and see if there's anything interesting or innovative in the least.

2) Stay with a student host and/or talk to current students before your interview and ask them what their favorite thing about the school is/why they chose to go to the school.

3) Think back on your own reasons for originally listing the school on your AMCAS application. Location? Good financial aid support? Reputation? I usually sprinkle one or two of those in my answer, along with more specific reasons of course.

If you still can't come up with a good reason.. maybe you should rethink whether you'd even want to spend the next 4 years of your life there.